The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Pads for GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have read this thread and others all the way through, so if I missed this, I apologize. Do the RSL29 pads need bedding if I am coming off stock pads? I have a few days coming up at NCM on 10/2-3 and I will be inspecting my stock pads for thickness after they received 3 days at Mid-Ohio, to make sure I am prepared in case I have to do a swap. I do see that KNS Brakes will "bed" pads for $20

I have read much in these threads about replacing the factory DOT 4 fluid with RBF600 DOT 4 and will, even though the factory setup performed well for me and my skill level at Mid-Ohio.

To be honest, with all the front wheel options (Raybestos ST43s, Pagid RSL29 or RST3, G-Loc 16/18s, Hawk DTC60/70, Carbotech, Ferodo DSUNO or D1.11, etc...) it is a bit much. o_O;). I am still considering simply bringing a set of OEM front pads for the next few sessions and dealing with the "upgrade" later, but I understand the OEM pads wear much faster than many of these options.
@CRisolvato I saw you respond to an older post of mine from 2018. (here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/pagid-rs-29-brake-pads-for-the-gt350.10992/post-207736)

Thought I would add a few comments of what I've seen since then... While I did like the feel of the RST-3's in the front, I found that they wore unevenly with a significant angle. I assumed my calipers were "sticking" and spent the winter rebuilding them with new seals, etc. [Good luck finding Brembo seals, I used StopTech. Ford will sell you a replacement 6-piston caliper at not a bad price...] After doing all this, I switched to Raybestos ST-47 Front (ST-43 rear). They worked OK, but didn't have the hard "bite" I like. So, I've just started using Cobalt XR-1's in the front, and they have MUCH better initial bite, and the wear seems low (based more on a buddy's car, as I've only done 1 event so far). The Raybestos last "forever", and I'm still running them in the front, but plan to change to Cobalt for the rear as well.

Back to the Pagid's, I heard a few other folks mention that they have seen them wear with an angle, so maybe it wasn't my (still-then pretty new) calipers. I can't say it is a real problem with them, just a data point or two.

GA
Simplified, What's the verdict?

Raybestos ST43s
-pro
great braking
great on rotors
-con
cementite residue on wheels which is difficult to remove

Pagid RSL29's
-pro
all of them

Carbotech/G-Loc (same family of pads)
-pro
great braking
great on rotors
-cons
1 case, particularly, G-loc where the backing separated from the brake pad

Hawk Pads DTC 70/60
-pro
great braking
cons
-eats rotors

Cobalt Racing Pads
-pro
all
-cons
super expensive

All above true?

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I would be wary of the Hawks if you are going full out. For example the DT-70 pads temperature range 400-1600°F - Optimal 700-1100°F. Compare that to the Gloc R18 with a range upto 2100F. Have seen some very messy results on a friends car with Hawks. 20min race and he ended up with ruined set of pads and discs.

I see my post #101 above from 2021. I can confirm (and have since seen others report it), that the S550 6 piston Brembos will bevel pads due to all 3 sets of pistons being the same diameter. Seems to show up more when running on higher speed tracks that require heavier braking. I've gotten in the habit of swapping pads around to even out the wear, and this works.

I even wound up putting the beveled RST-3's back on and getting my $ worth out of them. I still like how they feel, more bite I believe than the RSL-29's which I've only run in the rears.

I've also ran ST-47's on the front - they last almost forever, again more friction coefficient than the ST-43's, which I've only run on the back. No real issues with dust, but I did have issues with ST-45's leaving residue on the rears.

Similar experience with Carbotech years ago, so I've stayed away from these and G-Locs for years now. Maybe their higher number pads are fine - I have no idea...

So, NoXiDe, I basically agree with all your info. I've been using Cobalt's since my 2021 post - they work well, still require front pad flipping, and have ok life, just not like the Raybestos.

TMO Supporting Vendors