The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Pads -- RP2 vs XP12 or....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Had a serious "pucker" moment at Barber last week. A Porsche stopped much faster than I did going into the hairpin turn 5 and I almost ran over him. Think it was brake fade; but could just be driver error (following too close and not getting on brakes soon and hard enough). I think antilock kicked in just before I said hasta luego to the race track.

Regardless, I'd like to explore getting some more agressive pads. Still running stock P zero tires. I run Carbotech RP2 front and XP8 rear. I like carbotech because they can be ordered pre-bedded and they are easy on rotors. I see from their website that XP12 pads have a higher temperature limit than the RP2.

Have any of y'all had any fade with RP2?
Would XP12 F XP8 R be a better combination with stock tires?
Any other recommendations?

Oh yeah, need some tow hooks, too. :-[ Thinking Blowfish front and Cooltech rear. Your thoughts on that, as well.

Thanks.
-- Jim

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Oh yeah, need some tow hooks, too. :-[ Thinking Blowfish front and Cooltech rear. Your thoughts on that, as well.

Thanks.
-- Jim
I have the Cooltech hooks and if I was going to do it again I'd get the Blowfish. And I'm not just saying that because he's vendor here. Nothing wrong with the Cooltech's and the mounts are stout but I like how the Blowfish mount so you don't have to cut holes in your bumpers that are visible.

NFSBOSS said:
I have the Cooltech hooks and if I was going to do it again I'd get the Blowfish. And I'm not just saying that because he's vendor here. Nothing wrong with the Cooltech's and the mounts are stout but I like how the Blowfish mount so you don't have to cut holes in your bumpers that are visible.
That's why I like the fronts. Thought cutting required for the blowfish rears. No?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Still running stock P zero tires.

That's your main problem right there. Tires are the main limitation to overall braking force. Once you're in ABS, a better tire is the only way to go.

Can't go wrong with either...I have both. Blowfish for no-drill preference or Cooltech for proximity to the frame rail connection.

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
Upgrading the brake pads can only go so far if you're running a street tire. You should certainly look into a higher grip tire. I've had a couple people run the Michelin Pilot Super Sports along with Carbotech XP12 front XP10 rear. He has been happy with his current set up, he has a 302 and runs at VIR and CMP.

The RP2 is more of an endurance pad. I wouldn't go to those.

-Nick

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Thanks all. Talked at length with Mike Jr at carbotech and I'm going to try XP20 f and XP 10 r. Will report back after PCA event in Dec. still pondering the tow hooks.

He suggested XP20's with Michelin PSS's ??? That's a great street/track tire, my first choice if I needed to go to a non R compound tire. I ran that tire with my Audi TTS and my son has them on his M3 Dinan. That said, the XP20 and that tire are NOT a match. You should be running R comps with the XP20. I sell PAGID and have good options, but if you are wedded to Carbo pads (also good pads) I'd call Nick or Ken at KNS before you pull the trigger on XP20's. Also, be aware of rotor wear and how these will act on the street when cold.

-Pete

Tulsa, OK
I was recommended xp20s and 10s for my setup with R compounds. But I have also run these pads with NT05s without incident. Like Pete said they are not the greatest match for street tires so just be cautious if you end up using them.

Or you could just move up to R compounds :)

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
PeteInCT said:
He suggested XP20's with Michelin PSS's ??? That's a great street/track tire, my first choice if I needed to go to a non R compound tire. I ran that tire with my Audi TTS and my son has them on his M3 Dinan. That said, the XP20 and that tire are NOT a match. You should be running R comps with the XP20. I sell PAGID and have good options, but if you are wedded to Carbo pads (also good pads) I'd call Nick or Ken at KNS before you pull the trigger on XP20's. Also, be aware of rotor wear and how these will act on the street when cold.

-Pete
roadhouse said:
I was recommended xp20s and 10s for my setup with R compounds. I have run these pads with NT05s without incident. Like Pete said they are not the greatest match for street tires so just be cautious if you end up using them.

Or you could just move up to R compounds :)

Man everyone is beating me to the same answer.

XP20 is a pretty aggressive track pad, I would only recommend those with the R comp tires.

-Nick

I have a lot of pad desposits with Carbotech pads (I tried the XP 16's, RP2s, and now the most aggressive pad xp20? 24?). Too early to tell on the latest (most aggressive) pad. I blew right through the XP16s with one event at Summit POint before I had brake ducts...they were gone so quick. I then added ducts and used RP2's...they lasted a pretty long time and was happy with their longevity but they too created brake judder quickly. Now I'm onto the most aggressive...had one event at Tremblant on them and yes, they developed it too near the end of the event.

Not trying to deterr you from CarboTech, maybe my braking style and them just don't fit together perfectly. I will say they are very nice on articulation...I can squeeze them on diving into a corner and you'll never feel my heel-toe releases and no abrupt weight shifting when I put them on...keeps the balance nice and smooth. My old Hawk DTC60s were either OFF or ON and that's it:) Stopped like mad though...just ate rotors like mad too.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Kp
The secret to the Carbotech pads is bedding them in per the instructions. It's a pita but it prevents uneven transfer that causes the shudder. XP 16 pads do suck for our cars, they wear rapidly both front and rear and I had bad shudder with them.

The 24F, 20R has been a great combo for me. Sounds like you should give Pete's Pagids a try, he swears by them and they are pretty easy on the rotors and give good service life. I may try a set next season to see how the other half lives ;D maybe steal his advantage.

The Hawks are evil, they will haul you down but they melt every thing in their path, pads, rotors, seals, and pistons. I guess with extra cooling they might be better but my experience wasn't good.
Steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
In my experience, the carbotech's do produce shudder rather quickly. The dust gets trapped and glazes onto the rotor face. I swapped to slotted and never had the problem again.

And blowfish tow hooks are awesome;)

If you a can wait until the end of the year, I have a rear coming out that will not require any modification and will double as a hitch when needed and disappear when not needed! Gonna be the shizznit!(yeah, I just said that)

pufferfish said:
In my experience, the carbotech's do produce shudder rather quickly. The dust gets trapped and glazes onto the rotor face. I swapped to slotted and never had the problem again.

And blowfish tow hooks are awesome;)

If you a can wait until the end of the year, I have a rear coming out that will not require any modification and will double as a hitch when needed and disappear when not needed! Gonna be the shizznit!(yeah, I just said that)
Slotted rotors... Hmmm. What do you recommend, and what is the price? Very interested in the new rear hook design. Will hold off on getting tow hooks for now.

TMO Supporting Vendors