The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake question? Possible problems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This may be a really stupid question.... but id figure i ask anyway.

When the car is jacked up and the parking brake is not engaged. When i spin the wheels should the brake pads be contacting the rotors at all? Because when I spin the front wheels (havent checked the rears) should I be able to hear the rotors touching the pads very slightly? I also hear it when i am driving around very slowly.. Also when the car is up in the air you can definitely tell the pads are slightly touching the rotors because they come to a stop fairly quickly after spinning them. They don't completely spin freely on their own....

Forgive my stupidity. But I am running track pads now, so maybe its just that they are noisier? But I dont recall hearing this when I was on stock pads. And I was thinking maybe the pistons arent fully retracting?? But both front wheels feel the same..

Sesshomurai

It's not a dumb question at all.

From what I know, they will touch the rotors when they're new (and thick). I wouldn't worry too much about the wheel not spinning freely (by hand). As the pads wear the wheel will spin freely by hand, but its not really impacting anything. Track pads can be noisier, yes. Typically during braking.

You may need to bed the pads. If you also have new rotors you need to bed/season the rotors as well.

You might also want to check that your rotors are not warped.

It's normal and more noticeable on the fronts with new pads. The rears are "floating" so they will always make slight contact and contribute to the rear end noise many people hear on these cars.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
+1. If you are running track pads you'll hear them much more than the stock pads or normal street ceramic pads.

Let me guess, are you running Hawk's ?

PeteInCT said:
+1. If you are running track pads you'll hear them much more than the stock pads or normal street ceramic pads.

Let me guess, are you running Hawk's ?

Nope, I'm runnning the Pagid RS19 and RS56 combo from you :)

Couldn't be happier with them. Run them for daily driving and track.

I bedded them and seasoned the rotors. Did it at night too and they put on quite the show with the sparks ;D

So far 2 track days on them and honestly I can stop in almost half the distance compared to the stock pads. And never one hint of fade, I can really trust the brakes now knowing that they will always be there and they bite and they bite hard!

I was just curious if the noise was something broken or out of the ordinary. But when I'm driving around town, they aren't much noisier than stock once they get warmed up.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I was just playing with you ;D Glad to hear you like them ! As long as your rotors look in good shape you're fine. I'd like to hear back from you as you work into them on your thoughts on pad longevity, the RS-19's should do very well. Lastly, I am working on a page for the website to post up customer's cars, if you have anything related to your car and the pads you'd like me to post up please shoot it over. It can be anonymous if you wish also.

Thanks,
Pete

TMO Supporting Vendors