The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake recommendations? Switch fronts for the track and 1 set of rear pads.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Been reading lots on brakes and want to try something new.

My front rotors are due for replacement after this next day at Sonoma and I want to try a new pad arrangement as well.

What I have and have been doing.

14" factory Brembo in front with Titanium shields
13" rear rotor upgrade

I have been running Hawk Street 5.0 (replacement for HPS) in front and rear for the street. And when going to the track leaving the rear alone and swapping the front the ST-43s.

The ST-43s murdered my front rotors so I want to try something different.

I also want something with more bite in the rear that will work with street and track swaps up front.

My car is a pig. It has a blower up front and some stereo equipment in the rear. So heavier than your standard GT or Boss 302.

I have DBA rotors front and rear.

Looking at the Pagid RS-29 / 56 combo for front and rear, but if you were swapping for street and track in the front would you use something different?

Is there a more aggressive Pagid front pad to consider for the front if I am swapping. I am also going to start autocrossing so the thought is the "street" arrangement will be used for that as I'll never get the heat into the pads for an aggressive track pad to be effective.

So any suggestions for Pagid package or other manufacturers?

Looking for better rotor wear and for the street pads some dust and noise and noise is okay but would like to keep it reasonable.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran the Pagid RS29/56 on my Boss and used them for both street and track. I didn't drive it on the street a lot but one of the things I liked about that combo is they didn't squeal much on the street and really hardly at all. They dust like crazy though. I'm running RS29 front and rear on my GT350 and they are making more noise and it appears to be coming from the rear. The RS29 is not the most aggressive bite and that suits my driving style just fine. They definitely have a lot more bite than the street pads on either of my cars. The other thing with the RS29 is they are an endurance pad so they last a bit longer and don't thrash rotors. If you want a more aggressive bite and performance expect to continue to eat rotors. :p

If I were you I'd be looking to upgrade your front brakes to either a Stoptech or Brembo race setup or the 2013/14 GT500 15" Brembos.

VoodooBOSS said:
I ran the Pagid RS29/56 on my Boss and used them for both street and track. I didn't drive it on the street a lot but one of the things I liked about that combo is they didn't squeal much on the street and really hardly at all. They dust like crazy though. I'm running RS29 front and rear on my GT350 and they are making more noise and it appears to be coming from the rear. The RS29 is not the most aggressive bite and that suits my driving style just fine. They definitely have a lot more bite than the street pads on either of my cars. The other thing with the RS29 is they are an endurance pad so they last a bit longer and don't thrash rotors. If you want a more aggressive bite and performance expect to continue to eat rotors. :p

If I were you I'd be looking to upgrade your front brakes to either a Stoptech or Brembo race setup or the 2013/14 GT500 15" Brembos.

15" Brembos are most likely upgrade path. Have the wheels/tires that will clear. After this next set of rotors are done some upgraded front brakes are most likely going on.

Stoptech and 15" gt500 Brembos are the choices I had narrowed it down too.

Been doing more reading and had a good conversation with Pete at Track Day Solutions.

All set on pads to use, and now deciding stick with factory Brembos, go 15" GT500 Brembos or go with StopTech.

Considering changing the front brakes now and matching my brand new rotors for the 14" brembos up for a sale.

Whatever you do, give Dean Martin a call he had about 6 different brake setups for sale, I'm sure you could find something there you might be able to use front or rear. with regards to calipers and rotors. Since you're still in the experimental stage it might save a few bucks.

Spent a good bit of time reading and talking to Pete. For this go around I am doing Pagid RS-29 for front and rear for street and auto-x and swapping to Pagid RST 3 for the track up front. Then as I push those the 15" brembo or stop tech ST60 is a likely upgrade. But with these pads, good fluid, my cooling ducts, and shims I should have a lot of brake for even my 3,800lb car.

My CF5 wheels that I have for Street and track will clear the 15" kits. So I have and will maintain am upgrade path.

TMO Supporting Vendors