The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

brake reservoir ran dry when changing fluid. Bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
I flushed the brake fluid on my car (18 month old GT 5.0 with stock PP1 Brembos on the front and OEM fluid in it still) yesterday before my trackday on Sunday, and now I'm worried I messed it up.

I filled a power bleeder (similar in design to the one from Motive, but one available more locally) with 1.5l of Motul RBF 600, and then started pumping it out through the system in the recommended order (Rear Right, RL, FR, FL). I flushed RR till I though it looked like the fluid coming out had become clearer (not all that easy to see imo), then did the same for the other four corners (using both bleed screws on each front Brembo brake). Then I did the same again, to double check there were no air bubbles. Then I did it one more time, just since this was my first time ever flushing or even bleeding brakes.

I had been keeping an eye on the brake reservoir and pressure on the pressure bleeder, and the brake reservoir was overfull the times I checked. I mistakenly though that as long as the pressure bleeder had pressure and some fluid in it still it would mean that the brake reservoir would also be quite full, but found it that was not the case. On my third round bleeding the brakes, I suddenly got a lot of air instead of fluid on one. :-/ Looked into the reservoir, and could not see any fluid. I then put about 600 ml (a bit more than a 500 ml bottle) in it, which brought it back to a bit more than the "max" line on the reservoir. Since it took only 600 ml to bring it back to more than max, I thought maybe that was something positive, but reading more it seems the whole system will only hold around 750 ml of brake fluid, so I guess not.

I then bleed all four corners again, again three times. First time I got plenty of air bubbles, second time not much, and none the third.

Car is still on jack stands (did not have time to change my brake pads yet), so I have not been able to test the brakes, but I got inside the car and pumped the brake pedal, and if anything, it feels firmer than before. I can press the pedal and the brakes hook quickly, and if I keep the pedal pressed, I cannot feel anything gives.

I remember seeing many mentions of never letting the master cylinder run dry however (and something about the ABS) and now I wonder if that is exactly what I did, and if so, what I should do about it?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
If the brake pedal is firm, feels firm during test drive, it should be good.

Thank you, that's a bit of a relief to hear. I'll be doing my usual swap of brake pads now (the stock OEM DS2500 for the DS1.11) and will try to test and see if I can get the ABS to engage also.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel