The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake residual pressure valve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Utah
I'm completely rebuilding my braking system with new everything and bending my own lines. Do any of you use a residual pressure valve? I know when they are most likely used and for what, but for a track car is this a semi normal add some of you do?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
I did a street rebuild/conversion on my Cougar and didn't use RPVs. I'm running manual SSBC front discs (Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston style) and rear drums. I'm using a Wilwood manual proportional valve (and a line lock) instead of the traditional proportioning valve that incorporates the light. The car was originally 4 wheel manual drum. I debated at the time whether to use RPVs or not and decided the way I was using the car and the fact that the entire system was running "downhill" from the master cylinder that I didn't need them. So far the brake system has worked just fine. If I was doing more performance oriented driving I probably would have used them.

I don't know what you're using for lines, but I found that copper/nickel lines are WAY easier to work with than stainless steel lines. The ultimate strength is a little less, but still high enough to be DOT rated. I think I only had to redo 1 end once I started using it, and I had quite a few ends to make. I don't know if any sanctioning bodies have any restrictions against using it, so you'd want to check for sure before you use it.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Utah
I did a street rebuild/conversion on my Cougar and didn't use RPVs. I'm running manual SSBC front discs (Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston style) and rear drums. I'm using a Wilwood manual proportional valve (and a line lock) instead of the traditional proportioning valve that incorporates the light. The car was originally 4 wheel manual drum. I debated at the time whether to use RPVs or not and decided the way I was using the car and the fact that the entire system was running "downhill" from the master cylinder that I didn't need them. So far the brake system has worked just fine. If I was doing more performance oriented driving I probably would have used them.

I don't know what you're using for lines, but I found that copper/nickel lines are WAY easier to work with than stainless steel lines. The ultimate strength is a little less, but still high enough to be DOT rated. I think I only had to redo 1 end once I started using it, and I had quite a few ends to make. I don't know if any sanctioning bodies have any restrictions against using it, so you'd want to check for sure before you use it.
Thanks. I already have all of my brake lines and fittings. Everything is stainless steel. It's been a pain finding fittings, had to order Tee blocks from Australia. I got the flare tool from Eastwood and it is smooth on stainless.

TMO Supporting Vendors