The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Rotor Recommendation for 2011 Mustang GT w/Brembos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the current recommendation for track rotors (2011 GT w/Brembos)? Are Centric blanks still the best option? I see you can buy them cryo treated- is that worth anything?
A friend has the M-2300-S brake kit on his car, and the rotors have "Brembo" and "made in Italy" cast in them- are they any better then Centrics? Thanks in advance.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Honestly I think simple rotors are the most sensible option if you are not in a super competitive category and you really NEED to have a podium finish... I would love to get some 2pc light rotors but they wear out so quickly that the budget would not stand it. Liked the stoptech slotted rotors, but ended up going back to stock....

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
One of the top decision factors I had in choosing a 2-piece rotor was the cost of the replacement rotor rings. I think there was one kit where it was cheaper to buy another entire 2-piece front axle set instead of 2 replacement rings - that's just silly. Wilwood and Baer seemed reasonable for rotor-only kits for Brembo cars; I got the Baer kit with a good Black Friday deal. Since I'm autocrossing, light weight is a higher priority, and I got the drilled version. Both Wilwood and Baer have undrilled slotted rotor rings available that would be better suited to track use.

Honestly, though, for track days, decent one-piece rotors are probably the best bet. Centric (not c-tek) or Brembo blanks from Napa.

Last edited:
Just ordered Centric (not C-Tek) blanks. They were a little over $100 for a pair. The 2-piece rotors I was thinking about were $800/pair. Nicer? Sure. Eight times nicer? Not so sure. Thanks for the advice.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Honestly, though, for track days, decent one-piece rotors are probably the best bet. Centric (not c-tek) or Brembo blanks from Napa.

This is a quote from a guy on another forum last month specifically talking about rotors for track use.

"I used to be a professional regional auto parts supplier and Centric was my largest account. There is no difference between a "white box" C-TEK and a "black box" Centric rotor outside of the coating. You have to move to the High Carbon, Ultra Premium, cryo, and/or StopTech rotors to get an actual different base rotor. So yes, run the C-Teks."

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
So yes, run the C-Teks
Cool, learn something new every day.

That said, I just took a look at Rock Auto to compare Brembo-pkg front rotor prices, and there are a couple Raybestos rotors priced between the C-Tek and Centric versions.
"economy" section: C-Tek 12161089 $34.79
"daily driver" section: Centric 12061089 $57.79
"performance" section: Raybestos 680497 (Specialty - Street Performance) $37.79 and Raybestos 680497PER (R-300 High Performance Rotor) $41.79
Note: The R-300 are wave slotted.

Not sure if I place much weight on the different sections Rock Auto uses to divide the rotor models, but the Raybestos seem like they could be a good alternative to the "go-to" brand(s). Anyone have experience with them?

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
...Raybestos 680497PER (R-300 High Performance Rotor) $41.79
Note: The R-300 are wave slotted.
... but the Raybestos seem like they could be a good alternative to the "go-to" brand(s). Anyone have experience with them?

Yes, I have them on right now. Do not buy them. I thought it would be a good match for my Raybestos ST43 pads but the rotors are no where near up to the task. I seriously think that if I were able to weigh the metal removed from the rotor and the material worn from the pads, there would be a lot more rotor metal.

I guess they are ok, at best. They surely stop plenty fast and seem to take the heat but I won't buy them again. If I remember tonight I'll take a pic or 2 and post it. There are significant grooves located at the ends of the rotor waves. Plus they look like "unhappy" rotors to me and I've burned through many rotors.

I've been watching this thread looking for my next set and I'm still undecided. The only things I know for sure right now are: 1. throw away the wave rotors over the winter and 2. I'm not buying $800 rotors.IMG_20200917_185925873.jpg

Last edited:

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
After looking at rotors way too many times, I decided to go with the KNS / DBA rotors. They are $85 each plus $10 ea to ship. Its more than the regular Centrics and less than the higher end Stoptech cryos. KNS says its the same alloy as the DBAs. I'll give these a try and see what happens.

Interesting. You'll have to let us know how they worked out.

I ran some DBAs I got on close-out some years ago and was happy about the close-out pricing. Not so happy about the subsequent pricing, though.

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors