The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake rotor sanding?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got myself Carbotech xp12 for the front, the carbotech people said that I will have to do disc sanding and then use brake cleaner to be able to use the rotors.

The rotors are almost new with only 2 track days with Hawk HPS. The HPS were just "fine" as expected..fading with not much confidence in braking.

What is disc sanding? Doable at home?

***Addendum***
I found this
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/repair-brake-rotor-how-to-resurface-a-brake-rotor#b

I also realized I posted in the wrong subforum

Thanks
Rabee

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Never done that myself, but typically I would hit the rotors with Brakleen and wipe em down, then make sure you get the new pads good and hot while bedding

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
When I had problems with build up, I sanded and cleaned the rotors.

A DA sander makes the job easy.

Rotate the rotors and keep everything even and smooth. Avoid sanding beyond the buildup.

Once the color is consistent, you are done.

I bought a "lazy susan bearing" from home depot so that I could easily spin the rotor on my bench.

Then I used a wire cup brush in my drill to scuff up the rotor surface while the rotor spun.

I also used some scotch brite pads that were meant to be used in a drill.

No promises that it works for you, but maybe worth a shot if you don't want to get new rotors or have them resurfaced at O'Reilly for $15 each.

I think spinning the rotor while you scuff/clean is the ticket so you dont get high and low spots. Good thinking on the Lazy Susan.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel