The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its getting time to do a brake upgrade im not quite digging the factory brakes. Do yall have any suggestions? I was thinking of upgrading the pads, getting some slotted rotors, and changing the fluid. Also may change the brake lines. Id really like to do something about that tiny rotor in the rear as well even though it likely has little to do with the braking performance. What are some suggestions on parts I should take a look at. I would like to keep the upgrade around $1500 or less.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
You could update to the 2014 Shelby rear brakes with the following parts:

BRRF-45 (rotors) x2
or BRR-140 (rotors) x2
C100 - Rear disc brake adapter (LH & RH)

As I have currently only run Hawk pads that is all I can recommend, and they also have only been street pads, however the HP+'s are awesome for the street even though they squeal horribly when hot. I am sure others can recommend better pads from Carbotech or Pagid or PFC that are better for both the street and track. Also changing the fluid really helps, make sure to get a wrist band, like for working out to wrap the master cylinder reservoir so if it leaks it won't eat the paint.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I was not very happy with my brakes either. With some pointers from this forum, I have a grin on my face each time I brake from high speeds. Its a pretty simple fix: Pagid RS29/56 (F/R) brake pads from Pete at Track Day Solutions, Ford Racing brake ducts and braided brake lines, just adding Castrol SRF brake fluid tomorrow. With these mods I have plenty of braking for my rookie level and I can out brake the BMW M135s at my track. Nice thing about the Pagid pads is they are made for the track but work very well cold (better then stock).

I've always run the stock pads and I'm looking to upgrade also.
Is the pagid 56/29 a streetable setup?

gww52 said:
I've always run the stock pads and I'm looking to upgrade also.
Is the pagid 56/29 a streetable setup?
I run them on the street and they don't squeal!

DBA 5000's up front
DBA 4000's out back
Goodrich SS brake lines
Pagid RS29 front
Pagid RS56 rear
Brake fluid of your choosing
FR brake ducts or make your own

Almost 2 grand

Stick to stock or powerslot rotors, and you cut that almost in half.

Vorshlag also offers the Shelby rear brake set up as a kit and saves piecing it together yourself.

I did the 2013 GT500 rear brake upgrade last month and ordered the 4 required pieces from AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake (formerly know as Tousley Ford). The total was $304.84 including $32.00 for freight.

The Ford part numbers:
DR3Z-2C026-A -- Rotor (fits either side) $112.73 list / $74.40 net (each rotor)
DR3Z-2C100-A -- Adapter (right side, bracket for caliper to axle housing) $86.25 list / $56.93 net
DR3Z-2C101-A -- Adapter (left side, bracket for caliper to axle housing) $86.25 list / $56.93 net

Edit: changed part number to 2C101-A (NFS)

I'm using Performance Friction PF01's pads on the front and PF97's pads on the rear. I have been on track once with the new larger rear rotor set up. On track braking with the larger 13.8-inch rotors was just a composed as with the stock 11.8-inch rear rotors - no noticed difference in the front-rear distribution of braking - no unusual ABS drama events. I was at a new track so I don't have a personal seat of the pants reference point as to how much the larger rotors shortened the braking distance compared to the stock rotors.

Awesome; thanks to every one for the help, and input. I was reading that the Shelby rear brakes are a 13.8 inch rotor. Is this true? If so can I run an aftermarket 14 inch rotor with the other rear Shelby components?

You can run any rotor that is spec'd for the rear 2013 shelby caliper, I haven't found any though...other than what Ford offers.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
dmichaels said:
I have the same pads and mine squeal like a whole herd of losses off piglets.

Derek - Did you bed them in properly ? I have had no reports of the RS-29's being noisy. I used them for 3 years on my TTS, front and rear. And on my Boss until I switched to the RST-2 for track only use.

-Pete

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks Pete!! Before the Pagid RS29/56 pads I was about 8 cars out from the Podium, over 1 second behind. Just got back from my second place finish and was only 0.02 seconds away from first.

Cheers!

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Splatter said:
Thanks Pete!! Before the Pagid RS29/56 pads I was about 8 cars out from the Podium, over 1 second behind. Just got back from my second place finish and was only 0.02 seconds away from first.

Cheers!

I love these stories! Now we need to get you in a set of RST-2's, compress your brake zone signifcantly and get you on the top podium spot ! ;-)

Pete,

Found a set of lightly used (10 track days) Brembo Pro Series Race calipers, do you know what pad shape these are? And what compounds can you get?

Brembo%20BRE80.26E7_rgb.jpg

Doug

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Boss_302 said:
Pete,

Found a set of lightly used (10 track days) Brembo Pro Series Race calipers, do you know what pad shape these are? And what compounds can you get?

Brembo%20BRE80.26E7_rgb.jpg

Doug

send me the model number of the calipers as well as what Brembo pads they use in an email

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
PeteInCT said:
Derek - Did you bed them in properly ? I have had no reports of the RS-29's being noisy. I used them for 3 years on my TTS, front and rear. And on my Boss until I switched to the RST-2 for track only use.

-Pete

Would have helped if I remembered I have RST-2 not RS29's on the front!! But the rear RS56's also make noise, but not too bad.. They've been "unbedded" I believe since it's been so cold out and I've been driving on the street a decent amount. Likely wore off the layer of transferred material with the pads never getting any heat in them... when they are bedded the RST-2's don't make much noise either I've found

TMO Supporting Vendors