The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Braking problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello all,

Saturday I ran my boss with OEM rotors and HP Plus pads in the front, the rear was all OEM.
I noticed during my last session of the day my pedal would shake when i applied the brakes and the rear would come loose.

I was thinking maybe the rotors might be warped, any ideas?

Thanks

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Chris, was the traction control on or in "Sport" mode? It will absolutely kill the rear brakes and overheat the pads and rotors which can lead to pad material transfer and vibration. Also is the suspension stock? Stock it will want to transfer a lot of weight off of the rear tires under hard braking causing the rear to get squirrely. Cars that are lowered in the back and or have double adjustable shocks fare better, adjusting rear rebound stiffer helps slow the weight transfer. Let us know the configuration of your car so we can share ideas.
Steve

voodoo child21 said:
Chris, was the traction control on or in "Sport" mode? It will absolutely kill the rear brakes and overheat the pads and rotors which can lead to pad material transfer and vibration. Also is the suspension stock? Stock it will want to transfer a lot of weight off of the rear tires under hard braking causing the rear to get squirrely. Cars that are lowered in the back and or have double adjustable shocks fare better, adjusting rear rebound stiffer helps slow the weight transfer. Let us know the configuration of your car so we can share ideas.
Steve

Car had traction control through out the day. The car has LCA's+Brackets and FRPP lowering springs and Steeda UCA.
I was running toyos r888 275's all around as well.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agree with Prichar87, and heat generated by a pad better suited to autocross is more likely to build up. I am also not a big fan of running stock pads on the rear and would suggest cleaning the rotors , and going with same brand track pads all the way around ( though of different temp ratings ).

Pads become a mystery to many folks , because as they go faster they find things start happening. I always get a kick out of the driver who is complaining to me when I am Instructing about how his crappy pads are not wearing very well. First question I ask is if he is going faster and when the answer is yes ( especially if it is prefaced with something concrete like , sure I improved about 3 seconds ) I go into my discussion about the cost of speed ------- if you wanna go faster things will wear out quicker too.

How would you guys suggest cleaning the rotors? I'm planning on inspecting the rotors/pads today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
When I have excessive build up on the rotors I use a DA sander and sand the surface on the rotors until smooth.

After sanding , Re-bed the pads.

No need to remove the rotors. Take the wheels off and rotate the rotors with calipers and pads still in place.

Takes about 3-5 minutes per rotor for sanding.

TMO Supporting Vendors