The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

braking stability (GT350)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello all, I was wondering if any of you had experienced this:
So last summer I met up with an old college friend who is also a gear head. We take the GT350 for a ride. On the way back we get on an empty off ramp as I ease off the throttle and onto the brakes (did not just slam the brakes) the car gets a little squirrely, nothing too dramatic but it did not feel confidence inspiring. Best way I can describe it is that the rear is tramlining. The pavement was in pretty good shape, the front end felt fine. I had some what forgotten about this until reading that Steeda claims* their rear lower control arm bearings can prevent rear toe in under heavy acceleration. Could the rear toe out under heavy braking?

*"In testing, we found that the factory bushings deflect so much that the rear tires can toe inward upon acceleration over 2 degrees!" -Steeda.com (for part number 555 4117)

Welcome to TMO. I have not experienced what happened to you but I have experienced a bit of instability when braking from 120+ MPH. I think what I'm experiencing is the rear getting light as the weight transfers to the front on pavement that is not perfectly smooth. I'm curious what others think.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking weight transfer coupled with suspension unloading too. I was not in ABS but probably close to it. I am new to the Mustang world but have tracked a modified miata, SP1/SP2 944, boxster that had been set up for PCA racing as well as playing with a 996 GT3 on the street. Slowing for turn 3 at NHMS or the bus stop at the Glen did not give me this feeling. I know this is an apples to oranges comparison as it was different places with a very different platform.

I am loving the GT350 but still getting used to it!

I upgraded my rear UCA, LCA, and subframe bushings due to the overall feel of the rear being less confidence inspiring than I prefer. I experienced some squirm upon threshold braking and the rear could feel twichy when cornering, especially during track out from high speed corners under heavy load. The bushing upgrade cured all of that. It just feels solid and planted.

TMO Supporting Vendors