The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Braking woes with S550pp conversion and GT500 booster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
It’s early s197 but yes it’s much larger. The level sensor is two pin however versus 3 pin on the later cars but I’ll otherwise check the interchange. The master doesn’t interchange as there’s fitting differences from the lines to abs as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
So as usual: the spendy kohr kit doesn’t fit, at least not yet. The booster and master mated with the firewall, but the crosspin won’t pass through it (did the pedal assembly change from 05-14?) and the lines fit one side or the other, but not both as it needs 2” of clearance where the frame interferes. I guess I can bend them in a way to fit but not excited about it.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
It works Chris just needs to be rubbed on a little as us NASCAR guys say. The hole for the crosspin has to be drilled to size. Match the pin and drill bit, cause there isn’t a whole lot of meat to spare.
The lines take a bit of bending, by hand to marry up. Start the ABS block side and tweak the MC side to fit, then loosen the ABS side, tighten the MC side and then retighten the ABS side for each line. They sit right on top of the frame rail. They are stainless so more rigid than plain steel tubing but you can still flex without kinking. I will try and send a picture of routing tomorrow, but you will probably have it done by then.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Was able to get it set. Massaged the lines some and worked around the fitment issues. Drilling the cross post wasn’t fun but the pin is in (though I made it a super tight fit).

I’ll have to finish bleeding everything once I get the trans in but hopefully works well. The tank vapor line is pretty tight but hopefully won’t cause issues. I fabricated some line holds out of some very old spark plug line stays from my 1995 mustang as well.

Some pictures:
1add53b66c4e52b948533c9e8cc53c16.jpg

2d4021df8f0ed15ac2a8e42a9d1d615c.jpg

33d9ade2498e3c29c73851e2b191db54.jpg

8f054370623cb4fcc10852b7860583a4.jpg

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
bad booster though I think I found a few things:

-booster wasn't effective enough, and I believe it leaked. (replaced)
-front line from master cylinder to ABS block was being pinched slightly by the blowfish bracket (made spacers to move it 1/2" out, but ultimately the new line routing solved it)

Changing to the Kohr setup completely resolved my issues. There's one byproduct I'm struggling a bit with:

The new brakes work well, but the pedal is very progressive and long in throw (by design). That means I still need practice time to really get the cadence down for hard braking and I'm having some difficulties with consistent heel-toe pedal work. I'm working on the pedal box to see how to improve that, but an autoblip might become part of the puzzle at least for a while to help me improve laptimes while I sort that all out.

I've got 3 races on the new setup and I couldn't be happier.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel