The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brembo brake bleeder fluid leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I bled my brakes yesterday, along with the installation of new pads and ss lines. After bedding the pads in, I realized some brake fluid had seeped from the front bleeders. So, I jacked the car up again to inspect the pads and brake lines, while at it i tightened the bleeders a little bit more. After another drive, just a couple of minutes ago, i noticed the bleeders are wet with fluid again. I'm trying to avoid over tightening these, not to damage the bleeder or worse the calipers.

Any of you guys experience something like this before?
Am I not tightening the bleeders enough? (it'll require some effort to tighten them more, which I wont be comfortable doing)
Or am I getting residue fluid left within the bleeder out as the brakes heat up?

any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

I haven't experienced any weeping but others have had an issue with this. Since I have a habit of over tightening things I use a torque wrench and the correct torque is:

Front 156 in lbs
Rear 89 in lbs

drano38

Wayne
NFSBOSS said:
I haven't experienced any weeping but others have had an issue with this. Since I have a habit of over tightening things I use a torque wrench and the correct torque is:

Front 156 in lbs
Rear 89 in lbs

+1 on a torque wrench.

I've got SpeedBleeder brand bleeders. They are model #1010S (stainless) and 32mm long. They're slightly longer than stock, but still fit fine.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback guys.
I did a quick search yesterday on Google, this seems to be somewhat common with brembos, even in the motorcycle world.

I'll pull the bleeders that are weeping on Tuesday, clean them with brake cleaner, and put them back with a dab of blue loctite. Hopefully, that does the trick.

Meanwhile, I'm going to try to find replacement bleeders. If I don't find ones that I'm 100% sure they'll fit, I'll just order the speedbleeders as replacements.

Luckily, the second torque wrench I have has a range starting from 120 in-lb. So, I'll be able to use it for the front bleeders. I just have to go by feel for the rears until I pick up another torque wrench with the correct torque range. But I'm not having any issues with the rears.

drano38

Wayne
Does Ford sell them? Looks like our front and back are the same, so Ford rears should work for the Brembos.

Some people have had problems with some speed bleeder brands, but I'm not sure which brands.

I've been running SpeedBleeder brand for probably 15 track weekends, and have had no problems. As you can see from the below webpage, they seat and seal just like a solid bleeder, so I run them with confidance. The type Jegs sells have a brass seating tip, so those may not be able to handle heavy road course work.

SpeedBleeder also sells sealant for the threads. When I talked to the company, they recommend reapplying it about every 8 times the threads have been loosened.

I've got 6 SB1010S-SS (SS is stainless) on my Boss.
http://www.speedbleeder.zoovy.com/c=u2megV9dks3Wk8I9MEvD6wUHI/category/stainlesssteel/

drano, thanks for the info.
Just placed an order for a set of SS speedbleeder valves and their sealant, hope they don't fail on me. lol

Most likely I wont receive these in time for Friday's track event. I'll update on Tuesday or Wednesday if my effort of cleaning and resealing with loctite worked or not.

I was having the same problem, but once I found the correct torque specs there have been no issues. IMO, most folks are so afraid of over tightening that they end up under torqued. I free handed mine and they were at 70inch pounds, once torqued correctly the leaking stopped. As I learned from 27yrs of aircraft maintenance a torque wrench and hammer will fix just about every problem...

I just cleaned and applied loctite and put the bleeder back on.
I may have over torqued in my case. I noticed the tip of the bleeder valve, that sits in the caliper, was scoured a little bit, same with the caliper end. hopefully I dont have to replace a caliper.

But i definitely need to pick up a better torque wrench. the one i had jumped from 120 to 250in-lb, which there's no way I could accurately set it to 156in-lb.

drano38

Wayne
Let me help you save (ok, spend), more $$$$.
Craftsman inch-pound now on sale for 1/2 price, at $39.99.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-micro-clicker-torque-wrench-3-8inch-drive/p-00931423000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

WOW! Will place an order in a few minutes, thanks for the link!

unfortunately, after cleaning, applying loctite, and re-tighting the bleeder valve... i'm sad to say it is weeping fluid again.
I received the speed bleeders today, not sure if i should bother trying them, as the problem seems to be with the caliper end. I'll be ordering 2 calipers from tousley after friday's track event... I guess its good to have a replacement as well.

After reading alot of forums on brake fluid leak at the bleeders during tracking, i'm going to be taking the risk and running them this firday at the track as is. Just going to have to keep an eye out on it, and take it easy with the brakes.

TMO Supporting Vendors