The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brembo Brand DOT 5.1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
Are there any threads that go into detail on brake fluids? I have a '16 GT and I'm in the middle of the worlds longest Clutch install. While putting it up, I managed to mess up my TOB. Looking to bleed the new one, I figured I'd switch to DOT 5.1 and add Stainless braided brake lines. (Shared reservoir)

I couldn't find any Motul which is what many people online suggested so I just went with Brembo branded DOT 5.1. Any thoughts on the Branded 5.1 or what you prefer?

In the V6L
Everything you ever wanted to know about brake fluid characteristics...

https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-fluid-comparison-chart.cfm

You didn't say what your usage is - track or daily driving. The Brembo 5.1 is great as an all-around fluid, although I prefer ATE Typ 200 for that because it has slightly higher boiling points. For performance use, Motul 600 or Castrol SRF are the go-to fluids for most people. SRF is actually quite cost-effective - it's wet boiling point (think two or three years old) is higher than the Brembo 5.1 dry boiling point.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
Thanks for the link and the reply, It's mostly street and track use a few times a month. Nothing competitive but enough to feel the inconsistencies of the fluid and pads.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Went from the OEM fluid to the ATE 200 DOT 4 to Motul RBF 600 and next change to the Castro SRF. The more I track it, the better the fluid gets.

Since we are on the subject...Most of the contamination (fluid turning dark) I was getting in my brake fluid reservoir was coming from the clutch line. Once I separated the clutch fluid into a separate reservoir, the color of the brake fluid remained pretty consistent over the months, very slowly darkening over time. The clutch fluid gets dirty within a day. I'm assuming the contamination is from rubber from the lines or TOB, but I'm not 100%.

Not sure how this equates to effectiveness of the fluid since moisture is the real issue/danger with brake fluid, but I'm assuming keeping the fluid cleaner helps with longevity and keeps the brake parts and lines from getting gummed up.

I have been happy with Motul 600 and I just pressure bleed it the day before an event...2-3 times per year.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
I've seen people do that with the 197's, do you know if anyone make a separate Reservoir kit for the 15+? I've notice darkening fluid just in the few thousand miles I put on the car since last year.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
A guy on another forum used these parts for his S550. He attached it to the back of his C.A.I. He ran the supplied line from the wilwood kit to the nipple on the firewall and capped off the nipple on the brake resevoir with the 1/4" cap. Personally, I would feel better mounting it to the side of the engine compartment or shock tower than the air box.

Wilwood 7oz fluid reservoir, P/N: 26011098
1/4" vacuum cap

TMO Supporting Vendors