Brembo Caliper Stripped Thread

Discussion in 'Brakes, Wheels and Tires' started by tomsgarage, Mar 1, 2019.

1. tomsgarage

tomsgarage TMO Intermediate

Hello all! Looks like I am coming close to stripping the thread on one of my Brembo front calipers where it attaches to the spindle. Anyone on here had this issue and what did you to repair? Helicoil insert or new caliper? Please be kind with comments as I am already upset with myself for doing this........

2. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Have you tried chasing the threads to see what is still there? Sometimes the factory lock tite gets gummed up and acts like stripped threads.

tomsgarage and VoodooBoss like this.
  3. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

Search "timesert" on here and you will find more info. Other than that, a fresh caliper isn't too expensive. Replace your caliper bolts every so often in case they are getting jacked up too.

tomsgarage and Grant 302 like this.
  4. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

This. I kept a tap handy and every time i removed the calipers I chased them with the tap. I stopped applying loctite to the bolts as I removed them frequently and kept a close eye on them. This issue disappeared when I installed my Cortex Stoptech Spec Mustang setup which used a radial mount.

tomsgarage and Mad Hatter like this.
  5. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $587,402 Moderator

That's the way I'd go if it's stripped. Fix and sell the used one or keep it for track spare.

tomsgarage and TymeSlayer like this.
  6. tomsgarage

I used a new bolt to chase the threads but there was metal on the thread when i took it back out. It is about half gone so i still have engagement which allowed me to tighten it back up but it will probably be toast the next time I take it off. I do have an extra set of calipers that came with the car when I bought it but they are from a 2012 performance pack GT. Looks like the same caliper, is there any difference in the Boss caliper besides the brake line that was specific to the Boss?

7. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $587,402 Moderator

I don't know about the brake line. I only suspect them to be the same. The calipers on my '11 Brembo GT look exactly the same and had the same Ferodo pad as my Boss.

tomsgarage likes this.
  8. drano38

drano38 Wayne

Been there, done that.
    2012 Performance Pack calipers are the same as the Boss (but maybe the Brembo logo is a different color so different part number).
    Yes, the factory locktite can wear on the aluminum caliper threads, and over time damage them.
    Install a Timesert like AzBoss mentions above. I tried, but didn't get the hole drilled/tapped straight, so its a paperweight. Use a drill press and clamp it in somehow (or take beer to a friend who can help).
    Or call Autonation Ford in Whitebear Lake MN. I think they're cheaper than anyone. May or may not be a core charge. Ask for a '12 GT Performance Pack caliper.
    https://www.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/
    Finally, clean the locktite off the bolts or buy new bolts. I went to a John Deere dealer and got new bolts (correct hardness and flange head - but are 18mm not 15mm wrench).
    Good luck.

tomsgarage and Bill Pemberton like this.
  9. tomsgarage

Thanks for all the reply's! Looks like I will swap out the caliper with the spare that I have and see if I can repair the damaged one. Does anyone know the size tap I should use to clean out the threads? You guys are awesome!!

10. blacksheep-1

blacksheep-1 TMO Addict

11. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

Keenserts (Keyserts) are solid wall "Keyed Inserts" and are certainly more stout but require more room to repair the thread. Helicoils are wire inserts and are better when you have less real estate to work with and require special taps whereas the keyed inserts typically use a standard tap.