The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brembo GT Brake upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

True, but the floating rotor is designed to be replaced more often. The reason for the drilled holes is to allow gas/vapor build up between the performance pad and rotor surface to exit the rotor, thus reducing wear on the pad, reducing heat on the rotor and brake fade. So it definitely has its upside performance value. If you track a car then replacing rotors frequently is necessary, so go with slotted and/or drilled for the above reasons.

darreng505 said:
True, but the floating rotor is designed to be replaced more often. The reason for the drilled holes is to allow gas/vapor build up between the performance pad and rotor surface to exit the rotor, thus reducing wear on the pad, reducing heat on the rotor and brake fade. So it definitely has its upside performance value. If you track a car then replacing rotors frequently is necessary, so go with slotted and/or drilled for the above reasons.
I respectfully disagree. Most track rats will NOT run drilled rotors. They also have less mass to absorb heat. They're more for cosmetic look than true performance. Modern pads do not outgas like earlier compounds.

Sesshomurai

cloud9 said:
darreng505 said:
I respectfully disagree. Most track rats will NOT run drilled rotors. They also have less mass to absorb heat. They're more for cosmetic look than true performance. Modern pads do not outgas like earlier compounds.

The people I've talked to who don't run slotted or drilled rotors say its primarily because of cost. Doesn't mean there is no benefit to slot/drilled rotors. I think they will perform better but you are right that they won't last as long. Just a tradeoff that each person needs to consider. I don't think there's a rule of thumb either way.

I've followed the experience of the track rats here and went with slotted rotors that are not cross drilled. I'm not sponsored by Brembo or Baer and have to pay for my own rotors. ;)

The larger rotors should aid in coolling but I'm not certain those six piston calipers are necessary and will stop our cars any faster. I'd want to see documented proof first. I think the limiting factor in stopping our cars is the rubber your using. Oh and the weight. ;D

darreng505 said:
The people I've talked to who don't run slotted or drilled rotors say its primarily because of cost. Doesn't mean there is no benefit to slot/drilled rotors. I think they will perform better but you are right that they won't last as long. Just a tradeoff that each person needs to consider. I don't think there's a rule of thumb either way.
This should give an indication of what works best on the track......Boss 302S and 302R front rotor rings used on the race cars:

http://fordracingparts123.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38_54&products_id=150&zenid=8gtusr7vachs8hq8o0uu7bf646

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sesshomurai

One thing to note. Some race class groups forbid slotted/drilled rotors. I am targeting NASA American Iron and this is the case. In fact, many aftermarket performance enhancing parts are often forbid in race groups because they vary wildly in performance characteristics.
Those race groups also forbid things like nitrous. So again, looking at a picture and not seeing a part should not be confused with the merits of that part.

I will report in another thread the benefits of drilled/slotted 14" all around rotors after my 2 track days this weekend.

Sesshomurai

5 DOT 0 said:
darreng505 said:
So again, looking at a picture and not seeing a part should not be confused with the merits of that part.
There are benefits to cross drilled rotors but is the added cost and potential failure worth it to most of us? Probably not unless you're racing at a high level.

Agreed. And I think that tradeoff needs to be factored into advice people get from here. Not just that "they have shorter life, avoid them on the track. bla bla bla"

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that race cars and high-end sports cars usually have ventilated brakes. Meaning they mostly rely on forced convection to cool their brakes, and surface area is a factor in convection. So that's when you get these cross drilled and floating brakes working effectively. therefore, if you don't have the proper ventilation, the rotor will crack at the drilled holes due to thermal stress.

As for dimpled brakes, i believe they were designed back then when pads contained asbestos and produced massive amounts of gasses compared to today's pads.

My plan is to run blanks on and off track. Most likely will buy from these guys, since they've done me well with my corolla.
http://brakeperformance.com/index.php

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If anyone is looking for blanks, I buy all mine from www.topbrakes.com

Centric blanks for $92 (edit: looks like $99 now) each shipped. Plus a large selection of race pads.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Would also respectfully disagree and state that Cloud 9 is correct on this subject. Have raced for 30 years in various venues, actually used to sell pads and rotors of a company not listed here, have sold brands listed here and have never had anyone suggest drilled rotors. They may look good, but they weaken the rotor surface and they crack much easier. We suggest them for folks that want looks , but for the track I would only recommend a slotted set.

I am a perfect example, right now, as I ordered a two piece set from a manufacturer and stated in my email to make absolutely sure they only sent me slotted rotors, and not drilled. This was after discussing it with the manager, prior on the phone. I opened the box late, and sure enough they sent me slotted and drilled - no time to reorder prior to an event. One three day weekend and one can already see some small cracks near some holes ------if one is hard on their brakes , just not the way to go.

Yet, I like others , think they look cool, so great for normal driving and decoration in my humble opinion, but give me a two piece rotor , slotted only, for the track!

ArizonaGT said:
If anyone is looking for blanks, I buy all mine from www.topbrakes.com

Centric blanks for $92 (edit: looks like $99 now) each shipped. Plus a large selection of race pads.

ArizonaGT, do the blanks from that site have directional vents?

TMO Supporting Vendors