The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brembo Piston Seal Came Out: Problem or Not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swapped out my track pads for the stock street pads today, and this piston seal came out of one of the front Brembo calipers. Is this a problem or not? Have read conflicting opinions on other forums. Thanks!

IMG_4496_zps9a985f1a.png

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
No real problem, except that it's not the *whole* seal. If there's anything left in the bore, you should get it out. It the seal is all burned out and gone, don't worry about it. I wouldn't bother replacing the seal unless or until you run titanium shims.

Are you running cooling ducts? Those should also help if you aren't already.

I've noticed my seals are shot too. I just installed new pads and added the Ti shims. I never drive my car in the rain so should I bother replacing the seals?

Grant 302 said:
No real problem, except that it's not the *whole* seal. If there's anything left in the bore, you should get it out. It the seal is all burned out and gone, don't worry about it. I wouldn't bother replacing the seal unless or until you run titanium shims.

Are you running cooling ducts? Those should also help if you aren't already.

Ok, so there's still part of the seal left in the bore... guess I need to try and get that out.

Yes, have brake ducts installed. Ran brand new Pagid RST2 pads w/ Ti shims last weekend (first time I've used the shims).

Grant 302

NFSBOSS said:
I've noticed my seals are shot too. I just installed new pads and added the Ti shims. I never drive my car in the rain so should I bother replacing the seals?

My feeling is that if you will keep and rebuild the calipers over time then I'd say yes. If you consider the calipers consumable race parts (rebuild until time to replace), then no.

I don't worry about water, but am more concerned about dust getting to the piston seals and mucking up the bores.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
I don't worry about water, but am more concerned about dust getting to the piston seals and mucking up the bores.
This.

THREAD RESURRECTION.

I'm replacing my pads and noticed my dust seals on the front calipers are crusty at best. I have new seals. Can I replace the seals without pulling out the pistons? Anyone do this? Any tips?

Remove caliper from car.

Use C clamps to hold 3 pistons in place.

Slowly use compressed air on the brake fluid connection of the caliper to cautiously press out the 4th piston.

Remove old boot, reinstall new boot.

Repeat for the 3 other pistons.

Easy job overall. Just make sure you bleed the brakes completely afterwards.

Grant 302

Broken boots can be taken out pretty easily without moving the pistons. A small jewelers screw driver can pry out the old/broken one. Getting the inner lip on the new boot seated can be difficult without taking the pistons out or at least part way.

Can I just use the brake pedal lightly to press one or more pistons slightly out for the seal work? I just bled the brakes last Friday.. :p

Tulsa, OK
I just rebuilt mine, replacing both outer and inner seals, and added titanium shims. The process was pretty easy. My outer seal were absolutely fried and a few of the pistons were showing some dirt. Hopefully the shims will help keep the new seals intact for a little longer.

Thanks for the info, guys. And Logan, every time I see your name this goes through my head.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeIchRv7aEQ[/youtube]

Tulsa, OK
Fat Boss said:
Thanks for the info, guys. And Logan, every time I see your name this goes through my head.

Hahaha that's great. All the guys in my car club started calling me roadhouse a few years ago and it sort of stuck. This is one of my favorites...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXCq4lp6-Sk[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors