The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

brembo50.com get a Boss 302 for 29,500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://www.brembo50.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1130035

Ford downplayed many of these features of the package, and didn't make a detailed list of it, probably because they wanted people to focus on the upcoming 2012 BOSS 302. Why? The answer is simple, if one takes a base Mustang GT in the 300A Rapid Spec (plain like the the 2012 Boss 302, without comfort and electronic packages ), and adds the Brembo Brake Package and the optional 3:73 gears, they damn near have the same car for as little as $29,500. The 2012 Boss 302 stars at a MSRP of $42,000 ( it you can get it that cheap) and only comes with just 30 more Horsepower, manually adjustable shocks, a larger rear sway bar, and staggered tires.

A true performance enthusiast would have to question, "is it worth it ?". Other then the fact that the Boss name has superstar celebrity appeal and racing history behind it, could an enthusiast justify the $12,000+ (or more) price difference? Seems hard to justify, considering that if you wanted to out perform the Boss 302 you could easily add 100+ horsepower to your "stock" 5.0 engine with a bolt on supercharger and upgrade the suspension with very little and still have an extra $6,000 in your pocket. For these reasons, Ford may have thought that this scenario could easily cut in the Boss 302 sales. :eek:

A rose by any other name...good points, but fact is you can't make a Boss. You have to buy it. If you want to approximate the performance of the Boss, you can certainly build up a stock GT and have a really great performing car to be proud of when you're done. Perhaps, even save maybe 5K when all is said and done. But it won't be a Boss. It won't have the Boss Motor and it won't have the build number and it won't be a living icon.

jimprw said:
A rose by any other name...good points, but fact is you can't make a Boss. You have to buy it. If you want to approxiamate the performance of the Boss, you can certainly build up a stock GT and have a really great performing car to be proud of when you're done. Perhaps, even save maybe 5K when all is said and done. But it won't be a Boss. It won't have the Boss Motor and it won't have the build number and it won't be a living icon.

+100

GA
This is a debate that could go on forever because it is very subjective. It's a really cool car to have if you can afford it, and you can also get mostly there modding a GT. You can buy almost all of the Boss parts now, including the engine, from Ford Racing and a dealer parts department (I know it hurts and pisses you off - I went through that with my 2008 Bullitt). Does it make economic sense to mod a GT vs buy a Boss? Not in the long run. You wouldn't have a complete warranty, the authenticity, Track Attack, or Track Key either, but these things don't matter to everyone. If you get a GT and modded it over the years, it could just turn out to be more affordable to someone who can't buy one outright.

I went with a GT because a Boss was just going to cost me way to much versus what I could get going the GT route, so I did the responsible thing. This is also my only car so the GT comforts mattered as well. I still want a Boss someday and even though I am going to do upgrades and put some Boss cues on my car I would never pretend that it is one, or try to say it is the same or better. I am going to drive it in the Boss spirit, which is what the real car represents.

My advice to Boss owners on this subject is to count your blessings that you could have one (or more if you are a filthy rich bastard ;) ), and just ignore the jealous people.

That's basically what I ordered in 2010 before the Boss 302 was announced. While I was waiting for that car the annoucement on the 2012 Boss 302 was made and I almost cancelled my order. The problem was I had no idea where Ford would price the Boss at and figured I wouldn't be able to afford one. The GT was delivered on 9/11/10 and was supposed to stay stock. Within two weeks the mods had begun and I knew where it would heading: suspension, boss intake, recaro seats and so on. I just ended up deciding to sell my Mach1 which I never drove and trade in the 2011 GT(the first new car I had ever bought) and get a Boss 302. Having had my Boss 302 for 5 months now I know I made the right decision for me. Hands down the best car I have ever owned and that's in it's bone stock form.

The Boss will do at least 160 MPH, but there is always some goober-smoocher in a minivan in the way, doing 52 in a 55 zone. I could pass his slow ass in a Chevy Volt.

Trying to rationalize the need for a Boss is futile. I want one. That is reason enough.

Three more weeks!

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The hallmark of the BOSS is the (heavily) revised engine. Without that, good luck. Aftermarket tunes and intakes are available, but who knows about the long-term reliability.

The suspension work is outstanding, but that can be duplicated via FRPP or the aftermarket for a couple grand at most.

I have no regrets buying my BOSS The only fly in the ointment are those summer tires.I want to drive my BOSS in the winter also..not in the snow & ice, just in the cold temperatures. I know,just get more rims & all seasons, but my castle doesn't have the storage space to handle that option. One way or another I'll get by...............THREE MORE DAYS TILL SHOWTIME!!!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
302BOB said:
I know,just get more rims & all seasons, but my castle doesn't have the storage space to handle that option.

Gotta maximize your storage space...I have one of these above my garbage/recycle cans in the garage: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=164&category=Tire+Storage

ArizonaGT said:
Gotta maximize your storage space...

I hear you Drew. I just sold my Bridgeport mill so I can put the Boss and the '64 Falcon convertible (289+Toploader+9") in the garage for the rainy season.

GA
ArizonaGT said:
302BOB said:
I know,just get more rims & all seasons, but my castle doesn't have the storage space to handle that option.

Gotta maximize your storage space...I have one of these above my garbage/recycle cans in the garage: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=164&category=Tire+Storage

I will probably get one of these. I need to have another set of wheels with all-seasons for daily use and summer tires for the track. It gets significantly below 40 here in Atlanta between Nov - Feb.

GA
El Jefe said:
itrack said:
they damn near have the same car for as little as $29,500.

And with x-plan it's even cheaper. I think for an all out track whore, a base GT with the Brembo package is an amazing deal.

My car was around 34K on X-plan with a $750 rebate. When I added to that the 0% financing, I couldn't pass it up. A Boss would have been a stupid move for me. But if the financial end of it was not a factor for me, I would be all over a Boss.

After reading this article it is nice to know that there is more to the Brembo package than Ford let on. I always felt that there was a little more to my Bullitt as well.

I was originally thinking about buying a 5 DOT 0 and making mods like Koni adjustable sport shocks and Steeds sport springs along with wider tires, GT500 rear spoiler and valance, CS front valance and so on and so on. But the Boss just seemed like a better deal and while I don't expect it to appreciate I do expect it to depreciate less than a GT. The GT BBP is a fantastic driving car and incredible in it's own right but those guys are dreaming if they think it's that easy to turn a GT into a Boss. Like others have said most of the Boss is easily replicated but the engine is going to be expensive. If you look at most collectible cars it's usually the engine that made them special. The Boss has a special engine in it and is what should help the car retain more value over time and separate it from the copies.

Maui
302BOB said:
I have no regrets buying my BOSS The only fly in the ointment are those summer tires.I want to drive my BOSS in the winter also..not in the snow & ice, just in the cold temperatures. I know,just get more rims & all seasons, but my castle doesn't have the storage space to handle that option. One way or another I'll get by...............THREE MORE DAYS TILL SHOWTIME!!!!

Luckily it's summer all the time here. You can always move to hawaii. hehe.. j/k.. I was thinking of modifying a GT as well, but it just didn't seem to have the same appeal as owning a Boss... Pain in the butt shipping it to Maui... No allocations at my dealer...

5 DOT 0 said:
I was originally thinking about buying a 5 DOT 0 and making mods like Koni adjustable sport shocks and Steeds sport springs along with wider tires, GT500 rear spoiler and valance, CS front valance and so on and so on. But the Boss just seemed like a better deal and while I don't expect it to appreciate I do expect it to depreciate less than a GT. The GT BBP is a fantastic driving car and incredible in it's own right but those guys are dreaming if they think it's that easy to turn a GT into a Boss. Like others have said most of the Boss is easily replicated but the engine is going to be expensive. If you look at most collectible cars it's usually the engine that made them special. The Boss has a special engine in it and is what should help the car retain more value over time and separate it from the copies.
And the reason is, you are paying for a lot of parts twice. There are no takeoff parts on the Boss. If you buy the GT and "throw away" the suspension, front valance/splitter, spoiler, engine, clutch, etc you are buying a lot of parts twice. They put race parts on the Boss from the beginning. I stand by my original statement. I'm not significantly modifying the Boss suspension until someone in a modified Boss or 5.0 passes me on track. If it's a 5.0 it would have to be for significantly less money than a base Boss because obviously with enough money you can make almost anything ultra fast.

cloud9 said:
ArizonaGT said:
I need to meet up with Gary so we can have a few sessions to see who can drive the most FLAT OUT
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8&feature=related[/youtube]

hilarious Gary :)
"I do not need an instructor, I get motion sickness"
"Im operating on a much higher level than all these people here"
ahahah

TMO Supporting Vendors