The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Broke down and finally did a clear bra

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I never thought I'd get one, but after looking at how hailed the front of my GT500 hood is from the track, figured I'd spring for the front of the hood and fenders. The plastic bumper won't chip as bad as the aluminum and steel panels. I was actually really impressed with the job they did. They said a lot of it depends on the number of bends in the metal and color of the car, but looks like on a CO car it's pretty hard to see. I was about 3-5 feet away before I could even pick it up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dean#4AI said:
I have considered this but was told that Black is very tough to do correctly. Just don't know if I want to take the chance and I'm sure it's not cheap.
I only spent $225. If I wanted to add the plastic bumper it would have been $500 total. I decided it was worth the $225 since it covers the area where about 80% of my hits are on the GT500. A friend of mine had his brand new black 5.0 delivered for window tinting when I picked up mine. He's thinking about doing the clear bra. I'll post some pics if he does it so you'll know how it comes out on black.

I think you got ripped off. I can't see anything on your Boss. ;D

I've seen a clear bra on a black 911 and you could barely see it.

I think its the greatest thing you can do to save your paint.I have had it on race cars,and all my street cars.A very smart investment in my book.I replace it about every 3 years .There is a new one out there called invisi shield .The most impressive product thus far.
When I get my LS it’s the 2nd thing I am going to do to the car .1st is to have it properly polished.

roketman said:
I think its the greatest thing you can do to save your paint.I have had it on race cars,and all my street cars.A very smart investment in my book.I replace it about every 3 years .There is a new one out there called invisi shield .The most impressive product thus far.
When I get my LS it’s the 2nd thing I am going to do to the car .1st is to have it properly polished.

I can't seem to find any information about Invisishield except for an installer in Houston. Do you have a link?

roketman said:
A proper polishing is next, but wouldn't they have to strip it before putting on the clear bra? Just curious. I have to wait a week before detailing.

cloud9 said:
roketman said:
A proper polishing is next, but wouldn't they have to strip it before putting on the clear bra? Just curious. I have to wait a week before detailing.

I believe you are right. I just watched a video on how they install it and they completely stripped everything off the paint.

Sorry I got the name wrong,Venture shield is the correct name .Here is the link .
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Products/VentureShield/

As a former 3M employee and St. Paul native, I can say with confidence that you can't go wrong with a 3M automotive division product. I found an installer about 1 hour away from me here. I'm checking to see what it would cost to install VentureShield on a Boss and will post back.

Ok...I got ahold of the following installer when I pulled up the link roketman provided. For VentureShield, they currently have a special for hood and fenders at $199, normally $349. Heck, they'll practically put your whole car in plastic if you want. For 2 bills I'm strongly considering it.

http://autotrimmers.net/

jimprw said:
Ok...I got ahold of the following installer when I pulled up the link roketman provided. For VentureShield, they currently have a special for hood and fenders at $199, normally $349. Heck, they'll practically put your whole car in plastic if you want. For 2 bills I'm strongly considering it.

http://autotrimmers.net/
That's a good price. I paid $225 and feel like it was worth trying it.

They have some special spray cleaner they recommend and if you use it they'll give a limited lifetime guarantee. I don't know what the limitations are. But the guy at the detail shop told me that if you don't use it, any film covering can yellow with age and exposure to sun. Perhaps just a scare tactic to sell spray cleaner, but I have to admit the yellowing with age thought gives me pause.....

BossMan

I just had Scotch Guard clear bra by 3M applied to my CO Boss and I was amazed. I previously had this done to my 08 Bullitt and was very pleased after 3 yrs of use. That stuff holds up very well. I chose it over the Venture shield because I was told that it is a little less forgiving when it comes to bug jerky and such if not removed immediately. The reason for that it is more prone to etching as apposed to Scotch Guard and I can attest to that. Since our cars have the orange peal appearance there is nothing to lose because it looks the same. You can see that the product has the same appearance where as the Venture shield is more smooth looking but since there is a orange peal look it really defeats the purpose. Hope this makes sense. :)

BossMan said:
I just had Scotch Guard clear bra by 3M applied to my CO Boss and I was amazed. I previously had this done to my 08 Bullitt and was very pleased after 3 yrs of use. That stuff holds up very well. I chose it over the Venture shield because I was told that it is a little less forgiving when it comes to bug jerky and such if not removed immediately. The reason for that it is more prone to etching as apposed to Scotch Guard and I can attest to that. Since our cars have the orange peal appearance there is nothing to lose because it looks the same. You can see that the product has the same appearance where as the Venture shield is more smooth looking but since there is a orange peal look it really defeats the purpose. Hope this makes sense. :)
Photos?

TMO Supporting Vendors