The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Broke into 11's and killed 2 Camaros

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA
Went to MusclePalooza at Lebanon Valley, NY yesterday.

Last time I drag raced, I ran my 28-11.50-16 ET Street Bias Plys, I felt it was too much tire ( too tall). So I theorized a switch to a 26-11.50-16 would drop 2 tenths off my previous best of 12.12 at 115.

First pass:

7.75 @ 92.08
11.998 @ 116.04

Second pass:

7.70 @ 94.44
11.97 @ 115.36

DA was 1874, corrects to a 11.73 at 118.53

So all in all, the car loved the 26" tall tire.

On my first pass I ran against a new Camaro with a nasty sounding cam. I thought he might smoke me, car sounded so nasty. He went 12.7 at 112. Second pass I raced a new Camaro convertible with all sorts of Pep Boys Bowties all over it. He went 14.5 at 101, lol. It was an SS.

I am very happy with how the car performed. Have to confess that I was a little nervous on my first run being at a new track and all. I couldn't tell where the finish line was so I assumed I was done with my pass and took the first return road exit off of the track and that made me have to brake heavily, and as I was doing so, the cammed SS blew past me so I thought I didn't make a full pass, lol!

Backing up the 11.998 with the 11.973 encouraged me and I think in good, fall air, it should go well into the 11's. No shift lockout WHATSOEVER since my AED tune. Clean, 8rpm shifts all day long. I honestly think this tune is the cure for the shift lockout, in conjunction with other hardware mods like the clutch line, and return spring removal being the only two. I've not missed a shift since getting the tune.

SVT1 said:
I honestly think this tune is the cure for the shift lockout, in conjunction with other hardware mods like the clutch line, and return spring removal being the only two. I've not missed a shift since getting the tune.
Impressive runs, congratulations. Why would the tune have anything to do with shifting a manual car? Where did Shaun set your rev limit?

MA
5 DOT 0 said:
SVT1 said:
I honestly think this tune is the cure for the shift lockout, in conjunction with other hardware mods like the clutch line, and return spring removal being the only two. I've not missed a shift since getting the tune.
Impressive runs, congratulations. Why would the tune have anything to do with shifting a manual car? Where did Shaun set your rev limit?

Thanks! I emailed Shaun and asked what he did to make the car shift easier, and I didn't get a clear response (lol) but I know he posts here sometimes so maybe he could clarify?? All I know is he is the king of TQ management functions in these cars ( regular 5.0's too) and I honeslty have a theory this has something to do with it. Or it could just be a massive coincidence, lol.

Rev limiter is set at 8,300 but I have not taken it above 8-8100 yet, nor do I plan on it. It sounds HEAVENLY at 8 grand though, I will say that!

Used V10 M5, get the manual. My bro has the manumatic and the tranny sucks, but the motor is sweet and prices have come down a lot. We traded off one day in the middle of a run to the coast, and the V10 makes the Boss motor feel slow back to back, though it does need some revs.

I theorized in the *(&*(^ clutch thread that the stock tune's smog code that makes the motor rev down slowly, prevents engine braking, and makes the J brake noise which he probably removed that made the difference. Based on experience in my old Evo, which had throttle hang built into the smog code, tuning it to act properly off throttle smoothed out the shifting a lot. My tuner agreed when I asked him about it, but in that car it was more obvious and the hang was a lot worse than the Boss.

Also nice runs, I'm hoping to get into the 12s when I finally take it to the strip. <- drag racing noob

5 DOT 0 said:
SVT1 said:

I have always why the track key makes it shift so much better and figured it was the engine braking making the clutch unbind? This would only prove my first thought of ford put a clutch that cannot handle this engine in these cars ??? Just remember 50% of the people you know are below average ::) Wonder what the precetage is of companies ::)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
That is good times. I am glad you posted that the 26" slicks helped the car. I am going to ditch the 28" ones I have and get the 26". Thanks for including that in your post.

MA
Shaun@AED said:
Congrats on the 11's and Chevy kills!

Was this on the Drag or Performance tune?

Thanks Shaun!

This was the regular street tune. The track is 3 hrs away so no way was I taking a chance of bricking the car again!

I think a set of skinnies and that will knock off a tenth or two more.

Justin-

I was not running a slick. Just an ET Street bias ply.

They work well. Absorbs shock a lot nicer than a short sidewall drag radial.

Justin

SVT1 said:
Shaun@AED said:
Congrats on the 11's and Chevy kills!

Was this on the Drag or Performance tune?

Thanks Shaun!

This was the regular street tune. The track is 3 hrs away so no way was I taking a chance of bricking the car again!

I think a set of skinnies and that will knock off a tenth or two more.

Justin-

I was not running a slick. Just an ET Street bias ply.

They work well. Absorbs shock a lot nicer than a short sidewall drag radial.
lol I call ET streets slicks with grooves cut in them lol

MA
So were your 28's a full slick or "cheater slick"?

I think a full slick will be even harder for our cars to turn on the big end.

More rolling resistance.

ET Streets work perfect on street suspension cars IMHO. I've used drag radials and prefer the consistency of an old fashioned bias ply. I guess I'm old school! Lol

Justin

SVT1 said:
So were your 28's a full slick or "cheater slick"?

I think a full slick will be even harder for our cars to turn on the big end.

More rolling resistance.

ET Streets work perfect on street suspension cars IMHO. I've used drag radials and prefer the consistency of an old fashioned bias ply. I guess I'm old school! Lol
I am running a full on slick ET drag 28/9x15

TMO Supporting Vendors