The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Broken Motor Mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The car was still drive able with the drivers side mount incomplete. The picture below is the top side bushing of the drivers engine mount, so the mount rests on top of this and was being pulled off of it. The bushing took a beating, but luckily they include spares of a different hardness (go ahead and use the harder of the two). Kudos to engine mounts designers, the bushing sacrificed itself and held itself in place avoiding damaging the rest of the mount or sub-frame. There is a chunk missing from the ridge that holds the mount in place. Sorry I don't remember the size of the replacement bolt, I just called the manufacturer and they looked it up for me.

nKJnynp.jpg

Happened again, the right side came apart and was in the K-Frame. This time it was tightened from the top and the bottom was both checked and held in place when the top bolt was tightened.

Looks like I will searching for a different set of mounts.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
YellowBoss said:
Happened again, the right side came apart and was in the K-Frame. This time it was tightened from the top and the bottom was both checked and held in place when the top bolt was tightened.

Looks like I will searching for a different set of mounts.
so far I havent had issues with my BBR engine mounts.

Late Model Restoration called me today and they are very interested in taking care of this. I have heard others tell me they also had this happen, don't remember if it was PM or another thread. If this has happened post about it please, LMR is going the distance to contact the maker of these. The more info they have the better.

LMR called me back about this, they have been great looking into this problem. In fact all I did the second time was drop the same guy an email saying "it happened again'.

He called the company that makes them and there was a question on whether or not these are correct for the new 5.0's or just the older 4.6. I am not quoting LMR about this here, this is just my interpretation of what I got from out conversation. I felt he was not able to get a positive answer on the application of these mounts for the newer 5.0 from the maker. I also took away from the conversation that LMR is considering saying they are not correct for the 5.0 engines and may not sell them to owners of 5.0's. We will see what if any changes they make to the website since they did not list them this way as some other vendors have listed them up to 2013.

That's what I was wondering about the prothane mounts. When I heard people were using them I wanted a pair too but could only find ones for the 4.6. I never saw any for the 5.0. Hopefully my bbr ones are correct and dont wear like that. But I guess the wear resulted from your broken mount.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
sadil said:
That's what I was wondering about the prothane mounts. When I heard people were using them I wanted a pair too but could only find ones for the 4.6. I never saw any for the 5.0. Hopefully my bbr ones are correct and dont wear like that. But I guess the wear resulted from your broken mount.
My BBR mounts are working just fine. they have been in for a few thousand miles now. I will let you know if they break but I am doubting it.

I had a similar problem with Steeda mounts. When I called Steeda they informed me that for track use I should not be using the red urethane bushing and instead should be using their black bushings. At the time of the failure, I was using a combination of red and black on each mount. Since then I have made the change to just black and problem has gone away.

LS110 said:
I had a similar problem with Steeda mounts. When I called Steeda they informed me that for track use I should not be using the red urethane bushing and instead should be using their black bushings. At the time of the failure, I was using a combination of red and black on each mount. Since then I have made the change to just black and problem has gone away.

I am about to install my Steeda mounts, therefore I am very interested in your feedbacK.
1. What did Steeda say exactly about the red and black combination? Is it "supposed" to fail at the track?
2. And how would you describe the difference between the red and black combination vs only black while driving on the street and at the track?

Thanks

Orange said:
I am about to install my Steeda mounts, therefore I am very interested in your feedbacK.
1. What did Steeda say exactly about the red and black combination? Is it "supposed" to fail at the track?
2. And how would you describe the difference between the red and black combination vs only black while driving on the street and at the track?
Thanks

Steeda said that the red should not be used on the track in the Boss and instead we should be going with 2 black bushings in both mounts. They did not say the red is suppose to fail on the the track, rather we should be using the black.

Regarding the difference in vibration between the red and black, I have a tough time noticing any discernible difference and do not sense a huge amount of engine vibration. Although I already had a much rougher ride given my 302S suspension.

My mechanic at Tousley Ford did make a custom metal heat shield for the bushings, versus just using the stock shields. See the photo below for the shield which unfortunately is not very visible. The arrow is pointing at the black shield. I tried a couple of different photos, but everything is black in color right there.

dd2381b2-d123-4425-ac0f-41f8c28e2379_zpsa181f042.jpg

LS110 said:
Steeda said that the red should not be used on the track in the Boss and instead we should be going with 2 black bushings in both mounts. They did not say the red is suppose to fail on the the track, rather we should be using the black.

Regarding the difference in vibration between the red and black, I have a tough time noticing any discernible difference and do not sense a huge amount of engine vibration. Although I already had a much rougher ride given my 302S suspension.

My mechanic at Tousley Ford did make a custom metal heat shield for the bushings, versus just using the stock shields. See the photo below for the shield which unfortunately is not very visible. The arrow is pointing at the black shield. I tried a couple of different photos, but everything is black in color right there.

Thanks for the quick answer! I will go then as well with the black bushings all around, fortunately a friend has two available he does not need urgently.

I hope with my wrapped headers and the stock heat shield, that the heat will not be a problem for the bushings. But thanks anyway for the pic and the tip with the custom heat shield. :)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I only got 4 red and 2 black from Steeda too. I have had some customer service issues with them too. I like their products but when there is an issue like this they don't go out of their way to resolve it. Tousely Ford on the other hand really takes care of business.
Steve

I was maybe wrong that I received 4 of the black with the initial order. I went to the Steeda website and the image shows 4 red and 2 black like you guys received. How I ended up with the 4 blacks was after the red failed. I called Steeda about the failure and they immediately sent 4 new black bushings and stated not to use the red for the track use.

steveespo said:
Tousely Ford on the other hand really takes care of business.
Steve

I order a lot of stuff from Tousley. Recently I got new plugs and coil packs. One coil was broken, pieces of it were loose still inside the unopened package. Called Gene and he is sending a replacement no questions asked.

TMO Supporting Vendors