The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Broken shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Boss has a TR-6060 transmission and a GT500 short throw shifter. Over the last few months I’ve had a few hard 3 to 2 downshifts that felt kind of like a course grind but no noise. After the last one, my shifter has a ton of play even when in gear. The top of the handle moves about 2 inches back and forth, but it shifts fine.

I installed an aftermarket shifter but had to take it out because it wouldn't go into reverse, so I’m back to my old one. Are there any internal parts in the shifter? It doesn’t look like there are.

Has anyone ever had this happen?

I've been designing a new shifter for that very application. I'll be putting in a 6060 in my car tomorrow. Anyway one thing I noticed is the universal joint is pretty poor that is possibly your problem. The after market shifters I've seen don't come with a new shift rod and universal joint. There is some shifter rods, a short vertical arm that engages them from the top so it is possible something in there is messed up.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Smitty - Sorry to hear that. All this stuff about these trannies (MT-82 and now the 6060) is a bit scary. It stinks that these not an MGW-like solution for the 6060 (I assume).

PeteInCT said:
Smitty - Sorry to hear that. All this stuff about these trannies (MT-82 and now the 6060) is a bit scary. It stinks that these not an MGW-like solution for the 6060 (I assume).

I am pretty sure there is a MGW unit for this trans.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Adam - that was my guess, not enough 6060 trannies for them to justify a design/production cycle for it. If they did it probably would cost $2000 or more.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Absolutely George has an MGW shifter for this car . Call him at 706-793-1770 and he can get you fixed up -- no more mystery shifter.

George Ciamillo VP , MGW LTD, www.mgwltd.com

TMO Supporting Vendors