The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bubble in Wheel Clear/base coat paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just caught this nice bubble in my paint, front wheel. So now the question is, will the dealership get me a NEW Wheel? I'm not going to except a sand and paint job, the whole wheel will need to be sanded, painted, clear coated, etc., if they go that route, I bet it will look like crap.

What do you think?

photo.jpg

How long have you had it? When I talked to Ford about my paint issue, they basically said it would only be covered because it was brand new so it wouldn't be from abuse. Your dealer may be more generous.

There is a wheel repair place out here that does a really good job for like $150, you can't even tell the wheels were redone. Probably less if it is just paint, that was for if they need to weld it up and stuff. Would suck to have to do it, but there are options.

I had one wheel that had a couple of runs/sags in the black paint. Didn't see it for a month or so after I took delivery. Showed it to the dealer and it was covered under warranty. Got a new wheel.

Tflong24 said:
I think your wheel looks like crap. What have you cleaned it with, a Brillo pad??!

Thanks, I appreciate that comment. I would suggest you look at your wheels in a garage with florescent lighting, throw a halogen light on the rims, or a dual xenon light on the rims, I'm sure you'd be surprised what is revealed. Of course, with no direct lighting the wheels will look good. The clear on these wheels appears to be very soft, prone to very easily marring.

Yes, I wash my wheels with a brillow pad(lol), along with my foam gun, grout sponge/or sheepskin wash mitt, did I mention I spray the wheels with distilled water and use a metro dryer on them.

I haven't sealed the wheels in over a month, I'm sure any filling properties of the sealant is long gone, but a Brillo pad, really!

Here's a photo of the wheel outside, I don't think it looks like crap.

141.jpg

Just as I thought, micro marring. The clear on the wheels is very soft. Here's a quick polish on the area Tflong24 did not like, cleaned right up. Yes, I will admit the wheels look like crap under the xenon, but they clean right up. I haven't polished the wheels since delivery, just sealed. The car is getting a full detail this week, looks like I need to add some extra time for the wheels., Sheepskin wash mitt only now.

1photo.jpg

I was picking at you. I know the clear coat quality is a little shabby and I do see scratches in my wheels already. You may also notice that it looks like ford did a pretty quick paint job on these wheels. There are parts behind my spokes I guess you would call them, that the paint didn't get to, so about an inch in from the front some areas are painted and some aren't. I do not see the finish on these wheels being very durable.

AZBoss302 - Out of curiostiy what type of polish did you use on your wheels? Up close mine have what looks to be some type spotting/staining that will not fully come off and I have been reluctant to use anything aggressive on them.

MNG_BOSS302 said:
AZBoss302 - Out of curiostiy what type of polish did you use on your wheels? Up close mine have what looks to be some type spotting/staining that will not fully come off and I have been reluctant to use anything aggressive on them.

I used Menzerna Super Finish Polish (PO106FA). I used a microfiber cloth and just a little polish, it cleaned right up. This is a finishing polish so it has low low cut. I order my products from detailedimage.com.

i do the dual bucket wash microfiber mitt deal and my wheels have scratches too. i have the exact same bubbles on my wheels. i look away when i clean that area and pretend to not notice. i don't think ford will do anything for you honestly.

ShaneM said:
i do the dual bucket wash microfiber mitt deal and my wheels have scratches too. i have the exact same bubbles on my wheels. i look away when i clean that area and pretend to not notice. i don't think ford will do anything for you honestly.

Yea, your right. Now that the wheel is cleaned up, you can't see the bubble unless your looking for it. I'll just let it go.

TMO Supporting Vendors