The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Budget Boss Build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Update:

Had Vorshlag install the MultiMatic UCA. I didn't receive the bracket that connects the UCA to the car so they had to modify my OEM one. Also, got the Steada spherical bearing for the UCA. It is about to get really noisy, not like I'll hear it over the exhaust.

Here is the modification to the bracket-
3bd7664d-cefd-4f7a-88bf-017df4e81f59_zpsxpeg0dgz.jpg

B61G9298-L_zpskcnjat4a.jpg

I am always looking to make improvements in safety (Safety First). So, with that in mind I got a halo seat for more protection.

B61G9321-L_zpsbosuqadr.jpg

Will be at ECR this weekend, hoping not to get rained out, and plan on getting some video of my laps to post here.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have that same seat, btw. Very comfortable. Can't see much of the passenger side-mirror with it, but the main in-car racing mirror (Joes or Longacre 15" curved) makes it very easy to see out that side of the car.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I have that same seat, btw. Very comfortable. Can't see much of the passenger side-mirror with it, but the main in-car racing mirror (Joes or Longacre 15" curved) makes it very easy to see out that side of the car.

The seat feels more comfortable than my Cobra seat for sure. The Cobra seat didn't fit tight enough for me the Sparco seat is perfect. I was looking at Recaro seats, but couldn't justify the price on my budget.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
So how did you do at the track with the new goodies? Could you tell a difference in the rearend?

My chassis-side UCA bushing is all torn up so I'm going to need to replace that soon. Not sure if I can stomach the price of the Multimatic uber-unit, though. :eek:

ArizonaBOSS said:
So how did you do at the track with the new goodies? Could you tell a difference in the rearend?

My chassis-side UCA bushing is all torn up so I'm going to need to replace that soon. Not sure if I can stomach the price of the Multimatic uber-unit, though. :eek:

Didn't get a chance to find out. The event was canceled because of heavey rains and tornados. The Multimatic is expensive for sure. There's always the BMR one

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I am looking at this Hotchkis one...

48401_alt2?$mproductlarge$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hotchkis-upper-controlarm-1113.html

Will go BMR if I have to. I guess UCAs should be something they are really good at.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I am looking at this Hotchkis one...

48401_alt2?$mproductlarge$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hotchkis-upper-controlarm-1113.html

Will go BMR if I have to. I guess UCAs should be something they are really good at.

That one looks good. Are youing to get the Steada Spherical bushing too? BTW, I ordered the MCS RR2 with the same spring rates you got.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have a poly bushing in the diff location now but a Steeda spherical would not be out of the question.

I hope these MCS dampers are good! :) Interested to hear how the remotes work.

Some updates to the car:

Boss 302S front control arms installed
Boss 302S rear control arms installed
Boss 302S bump steer kit installed
Watson Racing engine mounts installed
Vorshlag transmission mount installed
Peterson Breather can installed
New to me (used) Tiger racing hood with Aero Latches installed
MCS RR2 installed

DSC_8321-L_zps6naig3rk.jpg

B61G9428-L_zps4vzkdikr.jpg

B61G9453-L_zpsyxfymxma.jpg

Well my car had a main seal leak that I have been waiting to fix because of the expense of the labor to put it in. However, my third gear went in my transmission and it needed to be fixed. I got a used transmission from a low mile Mustang GT that Vorshlag had for $1500. Also, I just happened to get an Exedy clutch from Rehagen Racing/ Dean Martin. I had Vorshlag put that in since they had to remove the transmission.

As you can see the main seal leak had gotten into the bell housing.
B61G3759-XL_zpswi5jjqos.jpg

New Exedy clutch
IMG_1864-XL_zps0kazcqbl.jpg

ArizonaBOSS said:
Nice. Those Exedy's look like nice units. Plan to be back on-track soon?

NASA Texas is done for this year. I have a credit for a track day at ECR, so hopefully get at least one track day before the end of the year. Hope to have a better showing with NASA next year. Hopefully I won't have any problems with the car. Also, I want to get a couple of track days with Eric Foss if possible. I'll have to see if that's in the budget (meaning got to talk to the wife).

TMO Supporting Vendors