The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Budget Boss Build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew suggested that I start a built thread of my own. To be honest with you this one will not be as awesome as Drew's build. Here goes. I got this car with the intent of having a track car only. I started with a GT track pack with Recaros. I put in a roll bar for safety and for 4 point safety harness. If I had to do it over I would not have gotten the Recaros and would have put in a 6 point safety harness first.

Here's some info on the car before I started the process of turning it into a race car.

AST4150s with Vorshlag Camber plates and (f)500lbs/(r)250lbs springs.
WhiteLine front and rear sway bars and WhiteLine Watts link.
DSS aluminum D/S
Had 3.73 gears, switched to 3.31
Boss 302 front splitter
Boss 302 brake ducts
Cobra Suzuka Pro-Fit (drivers) and Imola Pro-Fit ( passenger). As per NASA racing you have to have similar equipment for the instructors.
MGW shiter
Vorshalg custom racing exhaust

The custom racing exhaust was put on after I had an off at TWS and my magna flow exhaust was ripped off.

DSC_4863-M_zps7dc4b0d3.jpg

After this off I got the Boss ABS racing module so the traction control would be eliminated. This is when I decided it was time to go to the next step for safety and have a full roll cage installed.

After tear down. This is what was pulled out:

_DSC7490a-L_zps9df41425.jpg

starting-weight-L_zpsb6550d86.jpg

DSC_3966-L_zps9c5c853f.jpg

Here in Texas the weather changes all the time. The car doesn't have air condition or heat, so I needed to have a small blower installed for the defroster.

B61G6409-L_zps5682f847.jpg

B61G8466-L_zps35c90456.jpg

Back from paint:

B61G8421-L_zps33fa400a.jpg

B61G8428-L_zps762674a9.jpg

B61G8431-L_zpsd9fa903e.jpg

Aluminium supports for the wing:

B61G9010-L_zps88946b0f.jpg

Interior going back in:

20141008_205453-L_zps8a385adf.jpg

B61G9189_small-L_zps57478349.jpg

B61G9199-L_zpsa97f6071.jpg

Notice there is a horn switch. I have had time coming off the track that I needed a horn and didn't have one. I have see a person back into a car as the driver was sitting in the car was screaming to stop because they didn't have a horn.

B61G9182-L_zps12775ae3.jpg

B61G9098-L_zps6040bdcc.jpg

Drew, Thanks. No driver ballast in that pic. It does have the passenger seat in there though. That will be removed and a cool shirt system will replace it. I am estimating the HP to be at 400 HP right now. With me and my gear on it will weigh 3596. At a 9.5:1 ratio I have to much HP right now. Need to be around 378 HP.

I plan on putting in a AIM MXL in the future. However, I am trying to get caught up on bills after this build so it will be a while. I am purchasing a used Tiger hood this week. I probably won't put that on until the end of this years race season. I would like to upgrade to the MCS RR2, but once again money is tight now so that will have to wait. I am going to miss the season opener at MSRH this year. However, I'll be at MSRC.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Sounds like you need a restrictor!

The MXL is a great upgrade--I'd prioritize it if you can. Sometimes they pop up used (that's how I got mine).

That's funny I was thinking of prioritizing the MCS RR2s. The MXL is just out so not having the funds to purchase one now might be a good thing, so I might have the opportunity to get a used one as you suggested. Instead of going with a restrictor I am going to have it rev limited. A restrictor puts more strain on an engine. Also, having it rev limited means on open track days I can add the power back and have some fun.

roadhouse said:
Nice to see all your photos in one place, Jamie! Looking forward to hearing how the car works out for you this year :)

There's a lot more photos here:

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Projects/Jamie-Becks-S197-Mustang/30683682_TCZ34r#!i=3299856883&k=CmdPw82

I'll keep this thread updated on events and new thing done to the car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Budget Boss said:
That's funny I was thinking of prioritizing the MCS RR2s. The MXL is just out so not having the funds to purchase one now might be a good thing, so I might have the opportunity to get a used one as you suggested. Instead of going with a restrictor I am going to have it rev limited. A restrictor puts more strain on an engine. Also, having it rev limited means on open track days I can add the power back and have some fun.

The MXL2 is just out. You can get a "plain old version 1" like I have, used for less. BUT the V2 comes with the GPS module which you'd have to buy for another $500 with the V1.

The dampers will make you faster and the AIM will make you more consistent. So maybe prioritize the dampers :)

I'm looking at the MCS 2WNR myself. Speaking with Jason @ Vorshlag he was saying the Remotes are more useful during 2+ hour endurance stints.

Just reread the title. How is this a budget build? I'm gonna guess there's at least 50k in work there, or someone's getting underpaid for fantastic work!

TMO Supporting Vendors