The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Budget Boss Build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosm3os said:
Just reread the title. How is this a budget build? I'm gonna guess there's at least 50k in work there, or someone's getting underpaid for fantastic work!

Well the Budget Boss came from someone who said I bought a budget boss. The car when purchased was a base GT with track package and Recaros seats. Hence the Budget Boss title given to the car. Since the purchase of the car there's been about $35,000 put into the car to get it to this point. So, it's not a budget Boss factory street car, but compared to a Boss race car it's still what I would consider a budget car.

Picked up a new to me Tiger racing hood. It's a fiberglass hood. I wanted a carbon fiber hood, but the price on this was to good to pass up. When I have the funds I will have it painted and then I'll install it.

20150109_225017_zps54ee9fdf.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Hell yeah!

The GPS sensor has a giant magnet on the back of it, but instead of mounting it to the roof (due to cable length) I ran the cable from the AIM dash, through the stock dash, and out the windshield defroster vent, and velcroed the GPS sensor right there inside the base of the windshield. Works great.

PS now you'll also need a mounting bracket... http://shop.watsonracing.com/Road-Race-AIM-Mounting-Bracket-p/wr-aimbrkt.htm Or have the Vorshlag boys whip one up for you :)

Drew I all ready have the mounting bracket from Watson Racing. Got that a while back ;) I knew this day would come just didn't know it was coming so soon, lol. Vorshlag does good work. However, they charge $105 labor and to make this bracket would cost more than to just buy it from Watson Racing.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Budget Boss said:
Drew I all ready have the mounting bracket from Watson Racing. Got that a while back ;) I knew this day would come just didn't know it was coming so soon, lol. Vorshlag does good work. However, they charge $105 labor and to make this bracket would cost more than to just buy it from Watson Racing.

Awesome.

The only things you can't pull straight off the PCM CANBUS feed are oil temperature and pressure, but pretty much everything else is right there for the taking. CAN+, CAN-, power, and ground and you're in business.

Budget Boss said:

So I'm guessing you have a memorial plaque in the new Vorshlag shop? ;)

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. When I bought a house, I swear I personally funded the expansion of my local Home Depot.

El_Tortuga said:
...When I bought a house, I swear I personally funded the expansion of my local Home Depot.

I recall that I spent $1000 per day for twelve weeks when I renovated my duplex in Houston. The local Home Depot would assign an employee to me as I walked in the door to help me. I got to know the manager on a first name basis.

Some up dates on the car. First off I am on the road this week and will be back in time to pick up my car from Vorshlag and have it ready for the track on Saturday. On to the up dates-

imagejpg2_zps3de4ff67.jpg

and

imagejpg1_zpsc7ef0f22.jpg

I already have the oil pressure on another gauge, so it's not reading anything. I will have to configure it to show something else, hopefully.

This past Saturday was fun. I did my best lap time at ECR. It was a 2:03:54. I was put into the advance group and it was a blast. I even took out my first rider, more on that later. The best mod was the Watson Racing heat shield. I finally had something for my feet to get planted and I was able to keep myself from shifting in the seat. I wish I had video, but I couldn't find my gopro mount. I did find it when I got home and unloaded everything from the truck. I was a little pissed at myself for not looking harder for the mount.

Well I mentioned I took my first rider earlier. So, this guy carrying a white open face helmet with a integrate headset asked if he could go for a ride. I said sure thinking he was an instructor. I figured I could get some tips. Well he wasn't an instructor and the whole time he was looking for something to grab to hold onto. I could see him out of the corner of my eye. I wasn't going extremely fast or anything, we were doing 2:08 lap times. We picked that up a little when I start chasing Mark, who is an instructor, and then we were doing 2:06 lap times. We went into a couple of corners together, but that was only because of my braking zones are shorter than his braking zones. That's all thanks to a big ass wing and down force. Well came off the track and parked in the paddock. We got out and his fiend came up to him and asked how was it and he was speechless. He's friend did most of the talking. I almost laughed at how he was just standing there not saying anything. I hope I didn't scare him. Well that was my Saturday.

I will be taking at least the next four months off from any track time due to and arrangement with my wife. I need/want to get back down to the weight I was when I met my wife, 175lbs. So, until I get there no time on the track. I believe this will be a big motivator in reaching my goal. I keep the thread up dated if the car gets some upgrades in the mean time.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LOL @ "Well, he's not an instructor".

Actually I think the elevated cardiovascular states of the on-track experience may be helpful to your weight loss, not to mention wrenching on the car and loading/unloading wheels and tires. The thing to skip would be the post-track beers...but of course that is a tough one as well :)

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
ArizonaBOSS said:
LOL @ "Well, he's not an instructor".

Actually I think the elevated cardiovascular states of the on-track experience may be helpful to your weight loss, not to mention wrenching on the car and loading/unloading wheels and tires. The thing to skip would be the post-track beers...but of course that is a tough one as well :)

concur on all points! I was thinking maybe the guy got car sick, my wife rides with me a lot and on certain tracks does get a little quessy once in awhile

I got a new UCA. This one is the Multimatic UCA that is on the 302R and 302S Mustangs. It will be replacing the Whiteline UCA I currently have installed. A little over a year ago a broke the original designed Whittling UCA and they replaced it under warranty for free. Actually, Vorshlag had a spare one at their shop and Whiteline reimbursed them for it. However, since my car is a dedicate track car I want to get rid of the poly bushing.

_426948784130990_7751882822205815143_n_zps74qg17sn.jpg

_426948767464325_4370034633509134200_n_zpsfwon8zkz.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors