The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

"Budget" street/HPDE 19" tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are some decent "budget" tires for novice drivers. Im on continental dws06 in 255/40/19 and 275/40/19 (19x8.5 and 19x10 wheels). 2017, I plan to do about 5-6 track weekends. I will end up doing 2 this year. Im far from overdriving my current tires but living in Texas, all seasons (even as good as the dws06's) are not optimal.

I also drive about 1500 miles per month so that is a factor. I hope to find a cheap daily next year or 2 but until then the Mustang is my DD/Track Toy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Not sure if they have your sizes but the feedback I have gotten is they are a decent all round tire that can handle track duty. For the price you won't beat them. My wife's WRX will get them when she needs new tires for sure.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500

Peter

Everything I have read about the DSW is positive, but they are still an all season tire. For a good track use/summer dd tire I like my BFG sport Comp 2's. A 275/40r18 is $205.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/bfgoodrich/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=37071&tmn=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance

here is a comparison on Tire Rack. It beat out the Potenza (according to them). That price on the Indy 500 tire is pretty attractive, though... I drove through some of the worst rain I have ever experienced on the SC2's and it felt like a normal drive. I was impressed.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=163

EDIT: sorry I just noticed you said 19"... I would get a set of 18" SVE Drifts but that is me. In 19 the SC2's are still a decent price.

On previous street/track cars I've owned, I've had success with the Hankook RS3, Nitto NT01, and Bridgestone RE01-R/RE11-R tires. Not sure if they have them in 19" though.

I run Continental DW (19" staggered) on the street (used to run them on the track) and Nitto NT01 on the track (18" squared).

I've heard really good feedback on Nitto NT05's for a hybrid street/track tire.

Eventually, if you do a bunch of HPDE, you will want to get a dedicated set of wheels and tires. The characteristics you want for the street vs the track are different (wear, grip, temps, weather, response, feedback, etc). Once you feel more confident on the track and put a set of R-compound tires on, its a whole new experience.

Re: "Budget" street/HPDE 19" tires?

barspen said:
I run Continental DW (19" staggered) on the street (used to run them on the track) and Nitto NT01 on the track (18" squared).

I've heard really good feedback on Nitto NT05's for a hybrid street/track tire.

Eventually, if you do a bunch of HPDE, you will want to get a dedicated set of wheels and tires. The characteristics you want for the street vs the track are different (wear, grip, temps, weather, response, feedback, etc). Once you feel more confident on the track and put a set of R-compound tires on, its a whole new experience.
Yeah, I just.jumped back into a mustang and on-track for the first time in 8 years a month ago. I'm doing TWS in Dec and hope to get to 4-5 weekends over the course of 2017. Then i will get a mini-trailer and some different wheels/tires.

Bay Area
Since you're looking for budget tires, I recommended you look for some used track tires. Get some 18 rims, lurk the forums and buy take offs until you feel you're ready to move up. Just my .02

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
byronj said:
Since you're looking for budget tires, I recommended you look for some used track tires. Get some 18 rims, lurk the forums and buy take offs until you feel you're ready to move up. Just my .02

I agree with the above...you'll be changing tires so much you want to have a dedicated set of track wheels.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agree with the above idea , get a set of 18 inch Enkeis and then pop on a set of used Pirelli Slicks. Square the setup so you can switch things around and noticing your join date am assuming your have a 12-14 GT or Boss?

The tires and rims will fit in the car and you can take with you for now, and no sweat doing the 18 inch size and actually makes for more choices in new or used rubber.

Bill Pemberton said:
Agree with the above idea , get a set of 18 inch Enkeis and then pop on a set of used Pirelli Slicks. Square the setup so you can switch things around and noticing your join date am assuming your have a 12-14 GT or Boss?

The tires and rims will fit in the car and you can take with you for now, and no sweat doing the 18 inch size and actually makes for more choices in new or used rubber.
I have a 16 GTPP with 6 pot brembos. Enkeis wont fit and wotking up through groups in hpde wont allow under 200TW tires.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heck, then look into a set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs since that is the hot setup for almost all the winning drivers running in Solo Competition ( autocrossing). Quite a few end up running track time at one of the tracks near us and the tires are quick for a 200 rated tire.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas

strengthrehab said:
I have a 16 GTPP with 6 pot brembos. Enkeis wont fit and wotking up through groups in hpde wont allow under 200TW tires.

Are you sure the enkeis won't fit over the 15" GT brembos? I wonder if they would?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel