The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Budget Track Beater Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You need to sign up with NASA Central and run in Hastings and Topeka with us this year. You can get plenty done by the first of October , so the Mustang Roundup should be on your calendar. Tons of fun with plenty of Mustangs from all over, Ford Engineers, Tech talks and both Time Trials and an autocross!!

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
More pictures as promised.

I got the car all cleaned up this morning and wiped down the interior. It has a few small dents and dings and one small rust spot right in front of the driver side rear wheel. It's far from perfect but pretty solid overall. At least being black it photographs well.
IMG_0960.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG
IMG_0958.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG

Interior has zero rips or tears, a few small scuff marks on the plastic and whatever fabric was on the door inserts is gone.
IMG_0949.JPG
IMG_0950.JPG
IMG_0952.JPG

After I got it cleaned up I went on a pretty successful parts run to a couple friends' houses. About 150 miles round trip. The car has a little shimmy when coming to a stop, I suspect it's a warped rotor. One of my friends also suggested I replace the lower control arm bushings on the front so I'll put that on the list of stuff to do.

A few hours later I came home with all of this for a total of $540. So far I've spent a grand total of $4740 on this car. Before I go to the track I need to get tires for the new wheels, flush the brake fluid, probably replace the rear brakes, and look into doing the front control arm bushings.

-Almost new Whiteline front and rear sway bars with endlinks
-Ford Performance front strut tower brace
-GT500 Brembos with rotors and pads
-A set of Track Pack replica 18x10" wheels
-A bracket to mount a fire extinguisher to the front of the passenger seat

IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
This is the book that came with the car. It has receipts for every single thing ever done to the car since the first oil change at 3,136 miles. It was purchased from Bob Allen Ford in Wichita, KS on September 30, 2006.
IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I picked up some more reinforcements today. I basically bought the wheels and Yokohama's but he threw in the set of BFG's for free. Too good of a deal to pass up at $700. These are S197 fitment Forgestar CF5's in 18x11" with Yokohama A052's in 315/30-18. The only problem is two of the Yok's are flat spotted and the BFG's are about 5 years old but still have plently of tread. I went ahead and swapped the BFG's over on the wheels and junked the two bad Yokohama's. I'll buy two more later so I'll have another whole set. I will also likely swap to different tires on my silver car so the Yokohama's on it will give me a third good set.
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG

Here's a visual in front of the car.
IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG

Good size comparison to a big 11 year old.
IMG_1035.JPG

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Here's some new pictures of the car with the wheels and brakes on. I have some Ford Racing K springs on the way to get rid of the 4x4 look. I'm registered for Track Night in America on October 15th for it's maiden voyage. I'm going to try and get some camber plates before then also.

IMG_1286.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Now you need to sign up and get the Budget Beastie to Hastings for the Mustang Roundup. I have not doubt with all the cool stuff you have done that you will be last ---- it is a momentum track and have a feeling the V6 would surprise a bunch of folks.

Check out www.racemph.com, or call or email below:

[email protected] 402-303-6427

Last edited:

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
New video up!

I did a brake comparision test between the stock brakes and the Brembos.

I did 3 stops from 60mph verified with a Garmin GLO GPS unit and distance verified with a Sig KILO850 Rangefinder. The GPS has a refresh rate of 10hz and claimed accuracy of ±3 meters. For the distance measurements Sig claims accuracy of ±.5yds(1.5ft) for distance under 500yds.

It was about a 15min drive from my house to the area I did the testing so tires and brakes should be up to operating temperature. For both tests the car had the new 18x11 wheels with BFG Rival 315/30-18 tires.

Stock

1. 137ft

2. 138ft

3. 141ft

Brembo

1. 100ft

2. 97ft

3. 96.

Something else I found interesting; I came across this link with production car 60-0 stopping distances and it shows 100ft for the GT500 and 99ft for a Camaro 1LE which is right in line with my testing so I was happy to see that.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors