The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Budget Track Beater Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
In the next installment of the Budget Track Beater saga; I picked up a couple new tires for spares, changed the oil, made a mount for the transponder, and test fitted the other set of wheels on the car.

At almost the last minute I came to the realization that I didn't have a spare for the car so jumped on Tire Rack and ordered a pair of the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. Based on what I've read these should make a pretty good dual purpose tire. They aren't going to be that fast but they should last awhile and have good street manners considering I have to drive 2hrs to the track.
IMG_1459.JPG

These are mounted on the 18x10's performance pack replica wheels. I'll order two more in a couple weeks. These are mainly just my emergency plan in case I cord a tire at the track, I'll still be able to drive home. Eventually these will be the main wheels on the car and I'll save the 315's for time trials and autocross.
IMG_1465.JPGIMG_1466.JPGIMG_1476.JPGIMG_1478.JPGIMG_1479.JPG

The extra height on these gets rid of the fender gap, almost as tall as OEM.
IMG_1480.JPGIMG_1483.JPG

This is what I came up with for the transponder mount. Just a simple L-bracket made out of some scraps that attaches to the license plate mounting holes.
IMG_1485.JPGIMG_1486.JPGIMG_1487.JPGIMG_1489.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I picked up a GoPro 7 black a couple months back and haven't had a chance to use it with my RaceChrono app so I did a few laps around my neighborhood to make sure everything worked correctly before I head to Topeka this week. I would like to get another one and have it facing backwards and do a picture in picture.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Finally got this pig on the track.

I had a great time today at Heartland Park. I was able to knock off a couple seconds every session and my fastest lap came on the last lap of my last session so I can't ask for any better than that. I had zero issues with the car and drove it 2hrs home.

-My brake deflectors seemed to work great. I never experienced any fade although I need to brake later and harder.

-I was worried about oversteer being an issue with the bigger rear sway bar but the car felt really well balanced. I was flat out through several 3rd gear corners and it seemed very neutral.

-The tires have grip for days and I don't think I even came close to getting them hot. I started out at 34f/32r and after the first session they were up to 38f/39r. I lowered them back down to my initial settings and left them there the rest of the day.

-Front camber seems to be at a good spot with -2°, I measured temps across the face of the tire and inside to outside was within 10 degrees.

-The biggest complaint I have is the seat. I'm sure I will have bruises on my legs from bracing myself against the door and the console. I had to use the steering wheel as a handle to keep from sliding while shifting. I might throw my Sparco Evo in out of the other car. It needs to be addressed one way or another.

The video.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
This morning we got our first dusting of snow for the year so yesterday I went ahead and got the car put away for the winter.
IMG_1565 (1).JPG

I don't have anymore room at my house to keep it inside so I got a storage unit put it up on jack stands so I could pull the wheels. I topped the tank off and added a bottle of Stabil. I also pulled the battery out so I can keep it on a tender at the house.
IMG_1560.JPG

I got some 55 gal contractor bags to put the tires in and sealed them shut after pulling a slight vacuum on them with the Shop-Vac. I'll keep these in my basement where it's 65° year round.
IMG_1564.JPG

for the TPMS sensors, go get a small PVC tube, throw the sensors in it, glue the ends up, drill a hole for the valve stem, fill it up to 30 (or whatever )PSI and throw it in your glove box. That should solve the TPMS light issue.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
for the TPMS sensors, go get a small PVC tube, throw the sensors in it, glue the ends up, drill a hole for the valve stem, fill it up to 30 (or whatever )PSI and throw it in your glove box. That should solve the TPMS light issue.
Does it only need one sensor?

*Edit, nevermind. Stupid question. I'd have to buy all new sensors at $30 a piece. I wonder if you can turn it off with ForScan?

son of a biznitch. But i actually like seeing what my tires pressures are at live.

son of a biznitch. But i actually like seeing what my tires pressures are at live.
FWIW even teams with telemetry, do pressures the old fashioned way, on pit lane. To continually observe the dash readout is confusing an annoying. Like ..when do you read them at the end of the straight, a continues curve, leading onto the straight? the only thing they are good for is plotting trends.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
Just saw this. Looks like you were at TNIA on the 15th. I was there too in the advanced group. I think my profile pic is from that day. On chording tires, my best time was 159.3. For those keeping score, the track arrangement was fast turn 1 and slow turn 8. Earlier this year, I did a 150.1 on better tires and fast 1 and fast 8 layout.

If you are looking for another Go-Pro, I think I have a Hero 6 Black available that I have not used in a couple of years since I got a Garmin.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Just saw this. Looks like you were at TNIA on the 15th. I was there too in the advanced group. I think my profile pic is from that day. On chording tires, my best time was 159.3. For those keeping score, the track arrangement was fast turn 1 and slow turn 8. Earlier this year, I did a 150.1 on better tires and fast 1 and fast 8 layout.

If you are looking for another Go-Pro, I think I have a Hero 6 Black available that I have not used in a couple of years since I got a Garmin.

I'm not sure if you watched my video but if you did, is there anything blatantly obvious that I'm doing wrong?

On the GoPro, I'm going to see if anything pops up for Black Friday. What are you wanting for it?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
On the Go-Pro, I need to locate it. I have been trying to sell it for a couple of years and I want to make sure I haven't already.

I watched the video and here are some general comments. You can use more of the track coming in to and out of the turns. At the apexes, you can be more on the kerbs. As far as the line, starting at Alpha 0, as you crest the hill, you should be on the right side crossing to the left before turn 1. Coming into turn 3, I usually set up about 1/3 of the way in from the right and turn in to the left aiming for the kerbs on the left before tracking out to the right again, then back left into turn 4. At 6, I am at the far right coming in under heavy braking, shift to second, then left across the kerb and drifting to the right again, then aiming at the kerb in 7, then to the far right of the pavement. Turn 8 is a late apex across the kerb then quickly to the right into 9. Exiting 9 bear left across the kerb on the left then drift to the right side of the pavement (again). Hard brake into 10, late apex across the kerb staying mostly left. Late apex into 11 right of center and pull to the left through 12 just before pit entry. Shift to second and late apex 13 and stay right coming into 14. Start right down the main stretch and slowly cross over to the left just off the pit entry wall and then over alpha 0 again. I assume you are on street tires and, if so, I did not hear any squealing in the turns so you should be able to push harder. Not angry, obnoxious squealing but sustained chirping is how I would describe it. If you have a temperature gauge available, you should measure tire temps at the inner and outer edges and at the middle of the tread. If they are within 5 or so degrees of each other (per tire) your pressures should be close to right. I think you mentioned that your seats were not making it. I would replace it with one with side and thigh bolsters and the correct width for your frame. Get a harness to help you stay in the seat so you can use your legs for operating the pedals instead of bracing against the door. I run a Schroth 4 point but any decent harness will be better than the stock belt. If you want to go cheap, club racers have to change out their harnesses when they time out. You can snag one of those for pretty cheap or maybe even free. They are ideal for track days if they are not damaged.

Hope this helps.

I FINALLY sat down and watched the entire video series. I thought it was outstanding. Being an old time hot rodder I always thought that a lot of cars were way over priced for the amount of performance you get out of them. To get a car on the track for the amount of money spent was really fantastic.
Evaluate what you need, buy new if you have too, scrounge up everything else, fabricate what you can, and mostly have fun with it.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I FINALLY sat down and watched the entire video series. I thought it was outstanding. Being an old time hot rodder I always thought that a lot of cars were way over priced for the amount of performance you get out of them. To get a car on the track for the amount of money spent was really fantastic.
Evaluate what you need, buy new if you have too, scrounge up everything else, fabricate what you can, and mostly have fun with it.
Thanks for watching! Too many people get caught up in thinking you need to spend a million dollars just to get on the track. Truth is most people that have never been on a track aren't good/fast enough to push the limits of the factory stuff. Just drive it.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Truth is most people that have never been on a track aren't good/fast enough to push the limits of the factory stuff. Just drive it.
This is also true of most people who have been on track.

Too many people get caught up in thinking you need to spend a million dollars just to get on the track.

Funny. I don’t know those people. But I’ve found people tend to invest more in faster car over faster driver.

This thread is one of the best proofs of the opposite. I’m only sorry that it’s done now. Thanks for sharing.

TMO Supporting Vendors