The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bug Stains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had some bug guts on the front of my car I guess I let sit on there too long before I washed it and they left some stains in the paint. Can anybody recommend anything? I tried bug remover, clay bar, and quick detailer.

Let it sit out in the sun a couple days and they will fade away. I had a White Camaro SS that was my DD and had it happen to it. I polished and waxed the spot and it faded it some but they were still there. Within a week of driving it everyday they were gone.

A trick I picked up is to dampen a towel with H2O...

Apply damp towel to affected area..

Allow to simmer for at least a few minutes or longer.

Loosens things up surprisingly well

VTBoss302

I can't fix the paint, but, in the future, the ultimate bug removal technique is to use old drier sheets. ( You can actually use new ones but they leave a white residue that has to be washed off) Throw a couple of old ones in the wash bucket and simply wash the critters off, it's abrasive enough to remove the bugs but not bother the paint. I'm somewhat of an expert at this since I'm from Florida and we have trillions of "love bugs" that were brought it not the state and they all seem to hang out on the interstates.
Trust me, it works great.

Something I use that work well is the RainX Bug&Tar. You spray it on the bugs after your initial rinse before washing. I always start washing from the back and work my way to the front and they just wipe right off with out rubbing by the time I get there. Works really well, been using it for a couple of years.

blacksheep-1 said:
I can't fix the paint, but, in the future, the ultimate bug removal technique is to use old drier sheets. ( You can actually use new ones but they leave a white residue that has to be washed off) Throw a couple of old ones in the wash bucket and simply wash the critters off, it's abrasive enough to remove the bugs but not bother the paint. I'm somewhat of an expert at this since I'm from Florida and we have trillions of "love bugs" that were brought it not the state and they all seem to hang out on the interstates.
Trust me, it works great.

+1 on the used dryer sheets. Man do they stink after cleaning up the mess. :eek:

Went up the Lake George for the adirondacks national car show for a couple days. Couldn't stay the whole weekend due to time constraints but had a blast. I think I had the only 12-13 Boss up there that I saw. I'm sure as I was leaving others may have shown up. After the 3.5 hr ride up there plus driving the strip at night my front end was covered in bugs. I used these sponges by Maguiars and was very impressed.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g0200-bug-splatter-sponges/

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
KDR-1 said:
Went up the Lake George for the adirondacks national car show for a couple days. Couldn't stay the whole weekend due to time constraints but had a blast. I think I had the only 12-13 Boss up there that I saw. I'm sure as I was leaving others may have shown up. After the 3.5 hr ride up there plus driving the strip at night my front end was covered in bugs. I used these sponges by Maguiars and was very impressed.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g0200-bug-splatter-sponges/
i seen those in the parts store. I steered away from them cause I think they would cause swirls. How did it do for that? If I keep it well waxed the bugs come off rather easy with normal washing.

drano38

Wayne
Prevention is the best option, but I realize that's not the OPs question.
And I was every week to prevent long term damage, although I realize bugs can cause damage within days.

For bugs, I was using Poorboy's bug and tar remover, but someone said it will strip was/sealant, so I don't use it on the Boss anymore.
I've used VTBoss302's technique since then. Had the wife pick up some flour sack style dish towels, and I drape 3 over the front bumper then soak them down with my foam gun. Wash rest of car, and finish with the front. By then bugs come off with a microfiber towel. If the towels slide off and hit the ground, I throw them away in case they get sand/dirt in them.

I read somewhere RejeX is extremely slippery and bugs come off easy. May give some a try.
http://www.autogeek.net/rejex-paint-sealant.html

after a ~2000 mile road trip in Canada. this was too much for me to even think about. My detailer did an amazing job.

null_zpscf045cc0.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors