The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Build a better BOSS Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Running -2.5, which just happens to be where it ended up just with the spring drop. All I did was reset the toe at -1/16".

Tire pressure that worked best was 28 cold, which gave me 36-38 hot. Seemed to be a good psi for these tires.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Thanks for the info. Can't wait to hear your times once you can push the engine harder and / or add further performance enhancements ie different intake.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
it was disappointing that my gauges weren't bright enough to be seen in the camera. I really wanted to see what was going on afterwards. I had intended to use the throttle position data for self-critique. I know I am braking too early into 1. the conti's can do better but the XP12's aren't a good match to them. will have the XP24's in my hands by the end of the week. Hope I can find time for another track day this year.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
yeah, I forgot to talk to you about the clutch at the track on Saturday. so, I don't have much to report on high rpm shifting since I have been keeping it below 6500, but it was flawless. it does have a higher pedal effort, but I got used to it pretty quickly. feathering the clutch for smooth dd takeoffs has a learning curve. the warmer the clutch gets, the harder it is to start without a bit of chatter. but its manageable on the street and no drama whatsoever on the track. I have even started to take off in second again from stoplights(which requires more slip). every clutch upgrade is a compromise, but this is one I can live with (as you know, I didn't even want to use the HP+ on the street because of annoying noise, so I have low tolerance for nuisances). I can't tell if the new engine revs faster or the lighter flywheel is the factor, but she revs FAST!...even with that lowly gt intake on ::)

I hope to report back on high rpm shifting in the next week or so. got to pass emissions (needed to drive a week without codes, which would be tomorrow), load up the race tune and find some open road...not commonly found in this area, unfortunately.

pufferfish said:
yeah, I forgot to talk to you about the clutch at the track on Saturday. so, I don't have much to report on high rpm shifting since I have been keeping it below 6500, but it was flawless. it does have a higher pedal effort, but I got used to it pretty quickly. feathering the clutch for smooth dd takeoffs has a learning curve. the warmer the clutch gets, the harder it is to start without a bit of chatter. but its manageable on the street and no drama whatsoever on the track. I have even started to take off in second again from stoplights(which requires more slip). every clutch upgrade is a compromise, but this is one I can live with (as you know, I didn't even want to use the HP+ on the street because of annoying noise, so I have low tolerance for nuisances). I can't tell if the new engine revs faster or the lighter flywheel is the factor, but she revs FAST!...even with that lowly gt intake on ::)

I hope to report back on high rpm shifting in the next week or so. got to pass emissions (needed to drive a week without codes, which would be tomorrow), load up the race tune and find some open road...not commonly found in this area, unfortunately.

That's awesome to hear, I will be wanting a new clutch at some point to see if I can get rid of the high RPM shift issues. As for open road, the harbor tunnel is always nice when no one is in it, not that I would have ever done high speed pulls in it.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
ha! i'll bet it is a great place to open her up at 4am, which I think is the only time there isn't traffic! too bad for me, the harbor tunnel is an hour away. If the weather is good, I am going to head to Capital Raceway on Friday for some test-n-tune action. You should join me...I know the drive is long for you ;) Take Terminator JR and see what she'll lay down! I can only be there from 6 until 7:45 (during my kid's football practice), but that's the best time anyhow. the crowds start gathering at about 7:30-8.

I may just do that, I have been wondering what it will do in the quarter. Only thing that keeps me from the strip is not knowing how to do a burnout, or at least purposefully doing on.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Brandon302 said:
I may just do that, I have been wondering what it will do in the quarter. Only thing that keeps me from the strip is not knowing how to do a burnout, or at least purposefully doing on.
a line lock makes it really easy and saves you from buring up your rear brakes. I really like my JPC line lock.

Justin said:
a line lock makes it really easy and saves you from buring up your rear brakes. I really like my JPC line lock.
That, or I think I should be fine in the "SVT Foxbody" or "The Mongoose" as I would like to call it. Blower makes for some easy low end torque.

Justin

Brandon302 said:
That, or I think I should be fine in the "SVT Foxbody" or "The Mongoose" as I would like to call it. Blower makes for some easy low end torque.
lol dont do a john force burnout at the drag strip its frowned upon unless you are in the single digits. you need to hold the car still as you dont have much room from the water box to the staging beams. if you are running street tires a burnout isnt really required just a quick spin of the tires to kick off the stones and water.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
they are a performance street tire, but regardless, they all need a bit of heat. if not, nobody would complain about spinning the tires too easily in winter time! I go til I just start to see the smoke and then let off the brake to continue roasting for the next 5ft or so, then push the clutch in and coast to staging. gets enough heat to get the most grip out of the tires without cooking them. now, if they stall your run for more than a minute, the tires will lose heat and it will be as if you never did the burnout.

Justin

pufferfish said:
they are a performance street tire, but regardless, they all need a bit of heat. if not, nobody would complain about spinning the tires too easily in winter time! I go til I just start to see the smoke and then let off the brake to continue roasting for the next 5ft or so, then push the clutch in and coast to staging. gets enough heat to get the most grip out of the tires without cooking them. now, if they stall your run for more than a minute, the tires will lose heat and it will be as if you never did the burnout.
I would say try both methods. the traction is in the compound. heating street tires pulls out the oils in the tire and makes them greasy and eventually turns them hard as rocks. this is what was explained to me long ago.

With my 06 GT it had good year eagles on it and I ran 1.90 60 foots with them by going around the water box(if you can) a quick spin of the tires to clean them (kick off the rocks and any water) staged and went. it was an automatic without a high stall convertor and it ran 12.79's all day long. When I first got the car I tried a decent burnout(waited till the tires smoked then rode the burnout out some) and it ended up making the tires greasy and spin badly coming out of the hole.

So I would experiment with what ever tires you are running and see which works best. for me the stock p zero's were useless for traction unless it was in the 90's. I love my new michelin pilot sport a/s 3's they hook really well in the cold

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Case in point:
Got 2 runs on Friday (super crowded). First run, bagged a 1.85 60ft with my method. Second run, igot held at the line for a spot clean, then the car next to me took his sweet time getting to the line. Took about a minute, which resulted in a 2.12 60ft.
Could it have messed with my mojo? Maybe, but I choose to use the data to support my argument;)

By the way, missed 2nd for a 12.82@115 the first run and the crap start the second run got me a 12.45@118. Not stellar times (best of 12.24@117 with stock engine and tune), but I think it's got a 12.0 in there somewhere!

Justin

pufferfish said:
Case in point:
Got 2 runs on Friday (super crowded). First run, bagged a 1.85 60ft with my method. Second run, igot held at the line for a spot clean, then the car next to me took his sweet time getting to the line. Took about a minute, which resulted in a 2.12 60ft.
Could it have messed with my mojo? Maybe, but I choose to use the data to support my argument;)

By the way, missed 2nd for a 12.82@115 the first run and the crap start the second run got me a 11.45@118. Not stellar times (best of 12.24@117 with stock engine and tune), but I think it's got a 12.0 in there somewhere!
11.45? typo right?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel