The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Build a better BOSS Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I had one last opportunity to give a comparison before the end of the season and I am thoroughly confused....

2 weeks ago, with the gt intake, I had a traction limited best of:
60': 1.859
330': 5.286
1/8: 8.025
MPH: 91.32
1000: 10.335
1/4: 12.266
MPH: 119.18

Last night I put the boss intake on with its tune and this was my best...
60': 1.910
330': 5.291
1/8: 7.996
MPH: 92.15
1000': 10.282
1/4: 12.212
MPH: 117.93

I did introduce one change which I wouldn't have thought would effect anything but maybe it did. I swapped the gt500 mufflers for stock gt because without cats, it was just too loud for me. I have heard it makes a small difference, but wouldn't have thought the mufflers would drop 1 mph on an intake known to gain 1 mph?

But, that aside, I am not surprised to have a better time with the boss intake. My tires are shot and the lower mid range torque helped keep traction.

So, what do you think? It's all bench racing from here since the season is done.

Did someone put one of these in a BOSS? (with a Tremec of course!)
5.0L ALUMINATOR XS CRATE ENGINE / M-6007-A50XS*
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23300
M-6007-A50XS.jpg

pufferfish said:
I had one last opportunity to give a comparison before the end of the season and I am thoroughly confused....

I did introduce one change which I wouldn't have thought would effect anything but maybe it did. I swapped the gt500 mufflers for stock gt because without cats, it was just too loud for me. I have heard it makes a small difference, but wouldn't have thought the mufflers would drop 1 mph on an intake known to gain 1 mph?

But, that aside, I am not surprised to have a better time with the boss intake. My tires are shot and the lower mid range torque helped keep traction.

So, what do you think? It's all bench racing from here since the season is done.

Great info. You improved ET so you mph went down in the 1/4 but what's odd to me is that is was up 1 mph in the 1/8. Perhaps the stock mumflers really do rob power at top end. I would have never believed that. I've always thought the clog is at the end of the header from the Cat. This is also why I prefer timeslips over Dyno's.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
pufferfish said:

What was the air density for the 2 nights? The Boss was slightly ahead on mph but lost it on the top end. You recovered on a slightly slower 60' time too. Sure you didn't shut it down at the first trap and didn't stay on it through the finish line? Mufflers might have hurt a little, what are you revving to?
I feel you are on to something with the GT intake theory which I didn't want to believe.
Steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
The time slips didn't have any weather info, but both nights were pleasant mid 60's. I attribute the better short end of the track to the fact that the tires actually had a chance of hooking compared to the gt's torque just blowing the tires off. I was shifting the boss at around 7800 and definitely didn't let off until after the stripe. I had multiple 117.3 to 117.9 mph runs. I was very surprised that the boss had less mph. It has to be the mufflers choking it off above 7k. If I had the boss side pipes, it would have been interesting to open them up and see if there was a mph improvement.

Steve, I can't believe you are ACTUALLY entertaining the idea of the gt intake?! You feeling alright?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
pufferfish said:
The time slips didn't have any weather info, but both nights were pleasant mid 60's. I attribute the better short end of the track to the fact that the tires actually had a chance of hooking compared to the gt's torque just blowing the tires off. I was shifting the boss at around 7800 and definitely didn't let off until after the stripe. I had multiple 117.3 to 117.9 mph runs. I was very surprised that the boss had less mph. It has to be the mufflers choking it off above 7k. If I had the boss side pipes, it would have been interesting to open them up and see if there was a mph improvement.

Steve, I can't believe you are ACTUALLY entertaining the idea of the gt intake?! You feeling alright?
use this http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Cool calculator...but I don't know what it all means with the da? And I really have my doubts it was that cool or humid.
Last nights run was 59 degrees 88% humidity and 532da.
The 10/18 run with the gt intake was 50 degrees 87% humidity and -525da.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
pufferfish said:
Cool calculator...but I don't know what it all means with the da? And I really have my doubts it was that cool or humid.
the da is an adjusted altitude the lower the number the better with a 1000 feet difference like that there is your answer why they were so close

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
That explains it alright! Hopefully, the muffler really isn't a restriction.

Knowing this now, I will have to keep tabs on that for the future. Thanks Justin!

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
If you can get your 60fts down to low 1.7s. You'll see much better times.
This summer I've been trying all kinds of things, I've found by shifting at 6900 vs 7300 I've actually done quicker, as much as 12.26 on factory Pirelles and stock Grey Key

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
pufferfish said:
That's a good reason, basically there was a 1057 ft difference in altitude in favor of the GT intake run. -525 is almost a 5% over pressure, a lot more oxygen to burn that night. Still close considering you are spinning the Boss to 7800 and the GT to what I assume 7000.
I have a GT intake, but you know I'm getting a CJ setup this winter, not much looks cooler than the Boss intake, CJ does though.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I took another look at that drag times calculator. I used the correction calculator to see what I would have had with a level playing field.

the gt intake is a corrected [email protected]
the boss intake is a corrected [email protected]

the numbers are shockingly close. I attribute the worse et of the gt intake to the severe traction issues. I attribute the equal mph to the gt mufflers choking off the top end. so, its still anyones guess. with new street tires, I may be able to crack the 11's with one of the intakes.

I took a look at old timeslips before the engine was replaced and I am amazed to see the gt engine keeping up quite well.

with everything stock (including nearly new Pirellis) except for a canned bama tune and a c&l intake, my corrected time was [email protected]! now, stock did include the factory 3.73's, which have since been replaced with 3.55's. so, there is a testament to the value of gearing on the drag strip!

I better the Boss could work out better on the track since you don't have to spin. Friday my friend and I lined up and left the tree at the same time and were neck and neck till 3rd gear. Now I know there are a bunch of different variables but I wonder if the main thing that that contributed to him being slower was that he had low end traction issues and my top end was better also.

TMO Supporting Vendors