The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Build a Boss or buy a 302S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
I'm with @racer47 on this one. In 2015 I'd hit a plateau in my driving and needed a change so I rented a retired NASCAR training vehicle (a real race car that's equipped with two seats) and did a few track days in it. For once I was in a mode where "anything a GT3 can do, I can do better". It broke me out of a bunch of habits that were slowing me down. But my point is not how great it was to drive a tube-frame chassis (and believe me, it was!), it's that you could put a brand-new Fiberglas body on one of these things for less than the cost of a windshield for a GT3.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I believe that AI mandates stock shock locations which would outlaw the SLA in any class except for unlimited.
I think the K&N car runs AI, not AIX. They have an SLA on it. This article also seems to imply they allow SLA in AI. https://nasaspeed.news/columns/class-syllabus/american-iron/

https://www.knfilters.com/images/press/rtrspecsheet.pdf

I have not looked too deeply into the rules, but my main curiosity is if a cambered rear end is allowed. That would probably give you the biggest advantage. Nonetheless, notwithstanding cost factors, you could probably build a street car to be faster than a BOSS 302S. Seam welding is the only benefit I can see. But Mustangs are very stiff anyway.

It is a lot of work though. I had my car basically down to the frame and built up from there replacing everything allowable in the rules for NASA ST2. I have never driven a 302S but I turn the same or faster lap times. For example, I run the same lap times as the record held by the AI K&N car at Buttonwillow. Granted, I was on scrub slicks, but they have an SLA.

So, I don't know. I think a BIW is a better way to go than a 302S. Again, it all comes down to money and time.

Last edited:

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Why don't you scroll down the forum topics and check out the Phoenix cars that are still for sale.They are sorted, and you can't build one for those prices.

What are they asking for those cars for sale?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you have the money to buy a 302S laying around, it's absolutely worth looking at an ex-ASA road-course car or a TA2 car.
And having built a street car into a race car, (since I didn't have a lump sum of cash), it would be more straightforward to just get a 302S as opposed to converting your B302. Although there was a lot of learning and good times that took place during that conversion.

For all those wondering, I decided to take the advice of racer47 and begin searching for TA2 cars. The competition vs cost is exactly what i'm looking for. Unfortunately, because of my financial position its goodbye boss. Oh well, guess thats the price you pay for racing

Last edited:

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Good choice. After a couple races you won't miss the Boss street car. Sure it would be nice to have everything but I could not afford that either. When I was racing a lot, all I had was a race car, a box trailer, a truck to tow it and sometimes a cheap daily. Other times I just drove the truck to work. When I drove to the races, 90% of everything I owned in the world was in that truck and trailer. And it was worth it.

As for TA2, there are 3 chassis available Howe, Mike Cope and Meissen. Howe makes the most cars and all other things being equal, I'd pick the Howe but there is nothing wrong with any of them. Make sure you read the scca rules for the details about engines, shocks, wheels and tires. There are some differences between GT2 and TA2.

Since you are in St Louis you should go look at this car. Look it over well. Ask a lot of questions about the set up, motor rules, maintenance needed, etc. Its a Camaro but the reality is, there are more of them available. Even if you don't want to buy it, go see it just to start learning. Maybe tell the guy straight up, you are new at this and you'd rather have a Mustang but you'd consider a Camaro for the right price. Maybe he'll really want to sell and make you a great deal. When you are in the drivers seat you can't tell what brand it is anyway. Plus $40k is already a good deal for a race ready car. You could buy it today and sign up for your first scca drivers school and show up with a car ready to go so you could focus entirely on your driving.

When I went to my first scca drivers school it was with a car me and my dad built. We spent the entire off track time working on it. When I was on the track I was thinking more about the car than my driving. Having a proven car would have been the better way to go.

https://www.racingjunk.com/Road-Clu...=ta2&quickSearch=1&np_offset=7&from=search#20

Plus ask around, look online, call Howe, do whatever it takes to get the Howe setup book. I have one for my old oval track cars and I never even owned a Howe chassis. I ran Port City. But it didn't matter, it was still a big help.

Good choice. After a couple races you won't miss the Boss street car. Sure it would be nice to have everything but I could not afford that either. When I was racing a lot, all I had was a race car, a box trailer, a truck to tow it and sometimes a cheap daily. Other times I just drove the truck to work. When I drove to the races, 90% of everything I owned in the world was in that truck and trailer. And it was worth it.

As for TA2, there are 3 chassis available Howe, Mike Cope and Meissen. Howe makes the most cars and all other things being equal, I'd pick the Howe but there is nothing wrong with any of them. Make sure you read the scca rules for the details about engines, shocks, wheels and tires. There are some differences between GT2 and TA2.

Since you are in St Louis you should go look at this car. Look it over well. Ask a lot of questions about the set up, motor rules, maintenance needed, etc. Its a Camaro but the reality is, there are more of them available. Even if you don't want to buy it, go see it just to start learning. Maybe tell the guy straight up, you are new at this and you'd rather have a Mustang but you'd consider a Camaro for the right price. Maybe he'll really want to sell and make you a great deal. When you are in the drivers seat you can't tell what brand it is anyway. Plus $40k is already a good deal for a race ready car. You could buy it today and sign up for your first scca drivers school and show up with a car ready to go so you could focus entirely on your driving.

When I went to my first scca drivers school it was with a car me and my dad built. We spent the entire off track time working on it. When I was on the track I was thinking more about the car than my driving. Having a proven car would have been the better way to go.

https://www.racingjunk.com/Road-Clu...=ta2&quickSearch=1&np_offset=7&from=search#20

Plus ask around, look online, call Howe, do whatever it takes to get the Howe setup book. I have one for my old oval track cars and I never even owned a Howe chassis. I ran Port City. But it didn't matter, it was still a big help.
Thank you so much for your help. Funny enough the driver of that car, Max Nufer, and I are close friends. We actually raced karts together as kids. One thing I was wondering about is could that car be rebodied as a Mustang? Obviously is has an LS3 not a ford motor but I assume the Howe chassis's are all the same.

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Thank you so much for your help. Funny enough the driver of that car, Max Nufer, and I are close friends. We actually raced karts together as kids. One thing I was wondering about is could that car be rebodied as a Mustang? Obviously is has an LS3 not a ford motor but I assume the Howe chassis's are all the same.

Yes a Mustang body will fit. The core chassis is the same. The body mounts are 90% the same. They may even be 100% the same. There was talk about not requiring the motor to match the body. So it may be possible to run a Mustang body and keep the LS3 (which is a solid engine and pretty cheap to maintain).

Since you know the guy, ask him for the buddy discount, $35k. Even at 40k its a good deal especially if the guy will be completely honest about the car and not try to hide any issues.

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Funny enough the driver of that car, Max Nufer, and I are close friends. .

Your buddy is definitely a driver. Watch this

"Ride onboard with Max Nufer in the Manufacturing News Chevy Camaro GT2 car. Max starts fifth overall and second in class, gets punted off the track by a GT1 car, and fights his way back from last place to win."

He's faster than the GT1 cars. They pull him on the straights but he gets it all back in the corners and brakes. Also take note of the shifting. It goes up and down a gear super fast. Thats no tremec.

I like GT1 a lot but they are very expensive and monsters to drive. Unfortunately some of the guys with enough money to race GT1, do not have the balls to drive it correctly.

The more I watch this stuff and look at car ads, the more I want to buy a TA2 for myself. ShortBussBoss, this car has got your name all over it. Just run it as a Camaro. Worry about bodywork and stickers later.

Last edited:
Really does seem like a match made in heaven. Ive been talking to Max and apparently the car has been getting alot of attention so hopefully my boss sells quick.

And yes, even though I would probably never admit it to his face, Max is an incredible driver. I remember I had the track record in the yamaha kart class and his record was a few tenth's off mine in a class that was supposed to be seconds slower. Maybe he'll give me some tips for old times sake:D

Last edited:
Your buddy is definitely a driver. Watch this

"Ride onboard with Max Nufer in the Manufacturing News Chevy Camaro GT2 car. Max starts fifth overall and second in class, gets punted off the track by a GT1 car, and fights his way back from last place to win."

He's faster than the GT1 cars. They pull him on the straights but he gets it all back in the corners and brakes. Also take note of the shifting. It goes up and down a gear super fast. Thats no tremec.

I like GT1 a lot but they are very expensive and monsters to drive. Unfortunately most of the guys with enough money to race GT1, do not have the balls to drive it correctly.

The more I watch this stuff and look at car ads, the more I want to buy a TA2 for myself. ShortBussBoss, this car has got your name all over it. Just run it as a Camaro. Worry about bodywork and stickers later.
Good eye! The transmission is a T101A

TMO Supporting Vendors