The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Build or Buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Good afternoon everyone,

Been awhile since I've posted on here, but I need some great advice. I've had two Mustang's since I stumbled on TMO and the Facebook group. However, I'm in the market again to get another one or build per I had to take care of life's trial and tribulations. With buying another and taking that hit of depreciation I don't want to do anymore. One particular person I have in mind would probably help with the build, but cost effective wise what's the better out come? I use to be that guy for car shows and driving around on the streets, but the bug has bitten me harder to be a dedicated track car. Your opinion and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Hey Tommy, are you asking if you should buy a brand new one or buy a used one and build it up? Sorry, not sure I'm understanding what you're after - but it's been a long day. :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Welcome back.

Financially, the best option for a track beater is the cheapest chassis you can find. And best if it’s built with mostly your own labor depending on your skill level.

Something that’s running and generally functional would be easier, if you’re not inclined to fix junk.

And using a new car is a good way to throw a lot of money away, but it’s always nicer to work on new, clean cars.

Do you have a total budget or any other constraints in mind?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Welcome back.

Financially, the best option for a track beater is the cheapest chassis you can find. And best if it’s built with mostly your own labor depending on your skill level.

Something that’s running and generally functional would be easier, if you’re not inclined to fix junk.

And using a new car is a good way to throw a lot of money away, but it’s always nicer to work on new, clean cars.

Do you have a total budget or any other constraints in mind?

@Grant 302 to be honest doing my own labor with the help of someone is something I honestly want to do. What better way to learn and know your car than you doing it yourself. Self gratifying and rewarding.

A budget is something I'll probably work on during the week and perhaps share for others advice and to point out what I've missed. I know it's time consuming and a lot of networking involved, but to be honest I'm all for it.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Buy a brand new one or buy a flood/salvaged vehicle.
Well in that case, I'd look for the best condition, newest salvage you can find. As Grant said above, it's always nicer to work on a newer, cleaner car. And you don't want to take on someone else's headache. But if you come across a straight car with relatively inexpensive fixes required, or a car that has aesthetic damage you can live with, or damaged parts you plan to replace anyway, that's the most ideal situation.

Grant 302

@Grant 302 to be honest doing my own labor with the help of someone is something I honestly want to do. What better way to learn and know your car than you doing it yourself. Self gratifying and rewarding.
Understood and agreed. I’ve been meaning to do something similar with an ‘11+ V6. Maybe this summer. And I’d rather do everything that I’m capable myself.

A budget is something I'll probably work on during the week and perhaps share for others advice and to point out what I've missed. I know it's time consuming and a lot of networking involved, but to be honest I'm all for it.

I don’t mean to be nosy or think that you need a hard number to work with. I just thought people could have more specific suggestions with a rough range.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Tommy J. the one question I would have before making a determination on what is the best situation for you on your next track car is what is the car going to be used for? Is it going to be an HPDE Mustang , a Time Trial machine, or do you want to go W2W? Frankly , I think what you want to end up with would help you determine what you want to do purchase wise.

The amount of funds you want to spend also will help many of us give you constructive help and there are advantages with both a new car, a used car , or yes, even a salvaged Mustang.

Grant 302

A wise man once told me "if you aren't willing to set it on fire and push it off a cliff yourself, you shouldn't take it to the track."

So that's my advice.

Maybe you’ve been in Japan too long. “Throw away” culture is rubbing off on you! 😉

I’d settle for the least unhappy option if you ball-it-up.

More than a few Mustangs have been lost over cliffs and canyons is the sad truth.

Money wise its going to be a lot easier to find a car that somebody is moving on from and has sunk a ton of $ into for HPDE or Racing. Your most likely going to pick it up for a great price comparative to building that car yourself. Once you hit the track and are going through consumables I think your going to be very happy you saved that money because tires, brakes, fuel, entry fees, safety equipment, other vehicle maintenance costs a shitload of money as well. Throw in a tow vehicle and a trailer and good lord this is a expensive hobby. What Mustang platform do you want to build? Foxbody,Sn95,S197,S550?

sfo
I think the answer is different for everyone and depends on the opportunity presented. I think more conceptually instead of absolutely...
1- converting brand new car = most reliable racecar if the race class is more OEM vs unlimited. For example I'm racing SCCA T2 and in my new 2019 mustang build my primary tools are tire gauge and lugnut torque wrench. If I was racing GT-1 a flood chassis makes sense because I'm going with aftermarket ECU and built motor

2-It is rare that I like the cage design of others. Look at the near universal watson cage. It is a great cage and nearly the standard go to cage. You say a watson is in there and people look no futher. But the watson supports the rollover hoop on the cross bar ahead of the gastanks. The watson head bar does not conform to the roof interior. The watson is set up to be a production cage to weld into any S550 chassis and fit. It is no where custom. I have built cages starting when the pinnacle of driver safety was FIA "X" bars. Then we built cages with NASCAR bars. Now my current 2019 build uses a modified NASCAR bars with IMPAXX foam crashbox.

3-These are racecars/trackcars. Used ones need maintenance. The older the build the more they need. These cars have so many moving parts you never really know what will break next. A cheap old build can be very expensive once you start getting into it. Failing to get into it often means failures at the track that cost you money in lost tracktime and towing costs hotels etc... I have never seen a used trackcar that was sold track ready.

4- buying the car is the cheapest part! Next weekend I'll be racing at CoTA from Cali. Its a $7000 weekend with car transport, registration fees, flights, rental car, hotel and tires. When I race near home towing myself its $3000 a weekend. My kid's college was cheaper by far than racing for a year.

Above is the build sheet. Has received some improvements over the years including 2 way adjustable Penske coilovers.
Car is affectionately known as:
5676A226-3A59-4EC3-8E3C-3CF035A1260A.png

Last edited:
What steeda5 and Thor 302 have mentioned is finding a car that already has a lot of the mods you are considering and that might be the way to go......Freeing up more funds that you WILL incur down the road to enjoy competitive driving (racing)...............you're not a power ball winner, are you???...my adoption papers just need to be signed....LOL

A salvage title car....

Mmxmg07l.jpg

Don't quote me on this, but I think at the time (around 2015) this car cost about $130K to build It has won more races than Doan's has pills and they still have it. It is also for sale, but it's a freaking rocket ship. Phoenix also has a bunch of other cars for sale as well. Last I was up there, they had some nice T3 cars, which is a decent ride for not a lot of money.

Black Sheep: We know the Aquilentes. Andrew is fast beyond words. All their drivers are hot shoes.

Joe is a great guy and Phoenix knows how to build Mustangs and Vettes that win. They are expensive but worth it imho. As good as Kohr imho and Dean Martin is great.

They upgraded Thor from its original build which they said was great to begin with and according to Joe its faster than any of their S197s which is saying something.

They converted the Shelby to a full on race car. Beautifully done. JDM did the extensive motor work including cam, intake, throttle bodies etc...It’s putting out over 100 hp more than stock right now and safely too. It’s also still naturally aspirated!

Both cars have been reliable as anvils and are fast.

As you said they sell some of their cars from time to time. You may pay a little more but you will be getting a great car imho. Certainly cheaper than building one from the ground up yourself and likely better.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors