The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Building a 2020 10 spd. Ecoboost for racing. Inputs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks great. For $400 yes please post up the parts list!

- 2 Straight fitting 6an male to 1/2 npt male
- 3 60deg 6an female hose ends
- 1 straight fitting 3/8 male npt to 6an male
- 1 45 deg 3/8 male npt to male 6an
- 1 90deg 6an hose end
- 2 straight 6an hose ends
- 5ft of 6an hose
- derale atomic cool oil cooler (168$ at summit)
- tilton 40-524 pump ($191 at summit)

maybe more like $500

sfo
Fyi chuck. I'm repurposed the stock A10 tranny cooler to the 350gt position under tirewell passively cooled by air. Today was the hottest ambient I have rim so far 85F. I got the diff to 250f on the center console and the light did not come on. I was on a roval however amd on the long 150mph straight you can see the axle temp drop. Not sure if a tight road course would be hotter I think so. I need to get a fan on the cooler or switch to a fan cooler combo. The passive airflow 350gt style is marginal.

Fyi chuck. I'm repurposed the stock A10 tranny cooler to the 350gt position under tirewell passively cooled by air. Today was the hottest ambient I have rim so far 85F. I got the diff to 250f on the center console and the light did not come on. I was on a roval however amd on the long 150mph straight you can see the axle temp drop. Not sure if a tight road course would be hotter I think so. I need to get a fan on the cooler or switch to a fan cooler combo. The passive airflow 350gt style is marginal.

Did you get the GT350 rear diffuser, it has air tunnels that redirect the airflow into the cooler.

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/gt350rclsoutpnl.html

So I guess my setup with the fan wont be overkill?

panel_after2.gif

sfo
I have physically meet few people who race the S550 chassis. So I can't answer your question. Everything I have done is figuring it out for myself. I do not think there is such a thing as overkill in racing except at the highest levels. So yes a fan costs you power and cooler size costs you weight but it is so insignificant at our level.

Sooooo, back to the clockspring issue. I decided to cut out the core of the oem steering and to fabricate an adaptor that would also serve as a spacer as I’m almost 6’3’’ and I backed my seat as much as possible for leg confort and weight distribution. The adaptor allows me to keep the clockspring and the telescoping column.

I still have a little bit of trimming work to do but it gives you an idea...

8A0E7573-1442-465D-B1A9-93FBC920A441.jpeg

C5AEEBC7-61F7-423D-AEBE-261889958D5B.jpeg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The only similarity, skill wise, between the work on your steering wheel and mine, it they are both able to quick release, ha. I can do mine quicker than you can, because when you take yours off you have to pause for 5-10 seconds to admire your beautiful handiwork!!

Absolutely killer job!

So, I made some progress.

Finished the shrouding around the Mishimoto rad. Lowered the mishimoto oil cooler to allow more fresh air to get to trans cooler. Added an heat exchanger after the trans oil cooler to cool the oil even more. I wrapped the exhaust for less radiant heat. And added an oil temp sensor in the trans to monitor everything. Now I hope that will be enough to cool down the 10r80 !

Oh yeah, I also installed the PPE trans oil pan. It’s a nice unit. It’s finned, has a temp sensor hole, drain plug, and holds more oil. Should help. One thing, it’s now pretty much the lowest point under the car as you can see on the picture. Not sure how dangerous that is... Hopefully only the fins would get damaged if it rubs, but it still scares me a little...

21497D82-F088-48BC-896E-BD01F608B972.jpeg

C8566831-13E3-4C82-965F-01C810F151C2.jpeg

0021FF24-8AC5-4391-A453-203987AA1558.jpeg

5A027FFD-3F97-49A6-B355-BDD53BA7FEEB.jpeg

B268787C-2785-4BCA-A283-0BDD17B7EC51.jpeg

F91215CC-4852-42B1-AC60-816283F21E43.jpeg

36161E4A-670A-45FA-9977-C2BA76923C21.jpeg

25956B64-A569-454F-986B-A10A199B03AA.jpeg

sfo
Can you say what your rideheight is at the sill not including the pinch weld and the ride height of the oil pan?

Can you say what your rideheight is at the sill not including the pinch weld and the ride height of the oil pan?

So it’s hard to measure on the floor, sorry had to measure below pinch weld. Keep in mind my tires are small, 245/40/18. Also the car has not been corner weighted or aligned, just an aesthetics setup for now.

Pinch weld, 3’’ and pan at roughly 2.5’’. Fyi the lowest part of the OE front engine under belly thing is at 2.5’’.

Why such small donuts? Is it a class restriction or something? Giving up a ton of grip if it's not mandated. What class/series are you running in Chuck? At Tremblant mostly?

Yeah series rules. SPC in Quebec and Ontario, tremblant, mosport, 3-riv, calabogie, the usuals. Another rule is 300whp max. I also have wider wheels and tires for unregulated events, just in case.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Interesting. Had a quick look at their rules, that's not a lot of tire for a relatively heavy 'stang, puts you at a significant disadvantage. So you'd be in Super Production class then? The picture on their website, isn't St. Rose Honda the Wittmer's store? You are in deep against that crew for sure. Deep pockets and a long history of pro racing are hard to beat....

I didn't know that series ran at Mosport, will have to check it out, assuming we get our heads out of our asses this year and actually have racing.... ;) 🍻

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I see your series is supposed to run at Mosport on the Victoria Day Speedfest weekend, we usually go up for that. The NASCAR race is usually pretty entertaining down at Moss corner. If they actually do get permission to run that weekend I'll look for you.

Interesting. Had a quick look at their rules, that's not a lot of tire for a relatively heavy 'stang, puts you at a significant disadvantage. So you'd be in Super Production class then? The picture on their website, isn't St. Rose Honda the Wittmer's store? You are in deep against that crew for sure. Deep pockets and a long history of pro racing are hard to beat....

Tires: I KNOW!!! I’ve been telling them its not really fair... And it’s not like I can make the car lighter. Hopefully I can get down to 3,300lbs end of race with me in it. We should have 2 tire sizes, 265 for cars 3,100lbs and up, 245 for the rest. We’ll see.

Wittmer: yes it’s them! I’ve raced them quite a bit when Kuno was still doing grassroots stuff. Maybe you should ask THEM who should be worried! Hahaha. Not sure about their 2021 plans though.

I see your series is supposed to run at Mosport on the Victoria Day Speedfest weekend, we usually go up for that. The NASCAR race is usually pretty entertaining down at Moss corner. If they actually do get permission to run that weekend I'll look for you.

That would be great!! Stop by to say hi, I’ll try to give a good show!

sfo
Chuck,

I'm putting in the Ford performance swaybars. Looks like you have the blue ford racing rear swaybar. I can't get mine to fit with the MCS shocks and adjustable endlinks I have. Do you have a picture for what you used? What endlinks do you have. I think mine need to be longer than stock and the end of the bar moved very close to the spring. With bar end of endlink installed the spring hits the head or the threaded part of the endlink. How did you solve this? Also the middle of the bar articulates pretty close to the front of the tire well and can squeeze diff cooler lines if the routing is just so. Have you checked yours?

sfo
Also, Lots of guys run the FP front bar and PP1 soft rear bar. I think it is because of chassis rake that they like this combo. Most people measure rake at the end of wheel to the lip of the fender for about 1/2" rake. I measure from bottom of frame rail not including the pinchweld for target of 1.4" to 1/2" rake there. After I set my rake at the frame the rake at the fender lip is actually negative rake. My way would make sense because then the thicker rear FP bar causing oversteer at higher rear of car is compensated for because my way the rear of car is much lower to counter the OS of a heavier rear bar. What do you think of that?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel