The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Building a 2020 10 spd. Ecoboost for racing. Inputs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks great Chuck.

Really curious to hear some real world feedback on these vents. Information seems sparse.

Help me understand: how do fender vents in theory help with engine cooling? This would imply that relatively high pressure in the fender well is backing up into the engine bay? How is that (or through where)? Seems with a ducted radiator the migration of air between the engine bay and wheel well would be pretty minimal?

Thanks mate!

Honestly, I really wont have much feedback as I dont have enough seat time in car to have a baseline and I made tons of changes to the car this year. It was a small mod, rather easy to do, that is supposed to help and kinda looks cool. Those are the main reasons I did it! 😁

Like I said, anything that can help with downforce, cooling, aero with no known adverse effect and cheap, I'm in. Plus the pros do it, so.... hahaha

DAMN!!!! Mustangs are heavy! Forget about the corner weigh, the car is not level.

- all fuids
- full tank, which is almost offset by the fact that I dont have a cat back on the car, dont forget, its only a single 3’’ tube, with no muffler, so like 25lbs max
- no driver
- 18’’ wheels with 245 tires

Reasonable things I could do to shave weight without spending $5k on carbon doors...
- Battery -20lbs
- Carbon hood -15lbs
- Lexan windshield, like 10lbs?

You guys have more ideas?! Ideally I would need to remove another 100lbs.

image.jpg

sfo
DAMN!!!! Mustangs are heavy! Forget about the corner weigh, the car is not level.

- all fuids
- full tank, which is almost offset by the fact that I dont have a cat back on the car, dont forget, its only a single 3’’ tube, with no muffler, so like 25lbs max
- no driver
- 18’’ wheels with 245 tires

You guys have more ideas?! Ideally I would need to remove another 100lbs.

We are at the same level of guttedness. I estimate that I am 200lb heavier and would have a tough time getting to your weight. I'm good because of my class rules but if I went on a diet there isn't much more to go unless I physically start cutting out body colored stuff. Sure battery and driveshaft are low hanging fruit but the DS is low in the chassis. I want stuff off the RF corner. My LF is +60lbs heavy. And I want stuff off that is higher than the CG.

From the interweb: There it is 200lbs.
  • Mustang EcoBoost: 3,532 lbs (manual), 3,524 lbs (automatic)
  • Mustang GT: 3,705 lbs (manual), 3,729 lbs (automatic)

We are at the same level of guttedness. I estimate that I am 200lb heavier and would have a tough time getting to your weight. I'm good because of my class rules but if I went on a diet there isn't much more to go unless I physically start cutting out body colored stuff. Sure battery and driveshaft are low hanging fruit but the DS is low in the chassis. I want stuff off the RF corner. My LF is +60lbs heavy. And I want stuff off that is higher than the CG.

From the interweb: There it is 200lbs.
  • Mustang EcoBoost: 3,532 lbs (manual), 3,524 lbs (automatic)
  • Mustang GT: 3,705 lbs (manual), 3,729 lbs (automatic)

So i’m only 200lbs less than the street car. I was secretly hoping to be at 3300 with me.

Last time I checked, the carbon drive shaft weight almost the same at the oem. Battery is a big one though!

Chuck what about cutting out the rear deck lid sheet metal since you have a cage supporting that rear section anyways. FP350S are like this. Have to take the rear window out to do it and can replace it with Lexan. Fairly low cost (just the windshield) and would prob drop ~30-40lbs if not more and all of it high up in the car.

Chuck what about cutting out the rear deck lid sheet metal since you have a cage supporting that rear section anyways. FP350S are like this. Have to take the rear window out to do it and can replace it with Lexan. Fairly low cost (just the windshield) and would prob drop ~30-40lbs if not more and all of it high up in the car.

Oh wow! I had never noticed that. I guess the GT4 must be the same... thats going to go in the next winter bin. Not sure how heavy that thing is.

Rear window is already lexan.

Car out in the sunlight for the first time in 6 months!

F45CB579-F5DF-47AE-8D0F-C21DAB677FE3.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel