The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Building a 2020 10 spd. Ecoboost for racing. Inputs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Willwoods will do fine, just don't expect quick pad changes. The front 6p are a pain in the butt to do a pad change. Order extra hardware for the radial mounts on the front calipers They are made specific for them and I have not had any luck sourcing anything else that will fit. I am not a fan of the 12 point nuts they use to hold the caliper to the bracket. Also their "Full Race" pad is very aggressive and nearly an ON/OFF switch when cold. I have not driven the setup on track as it was spec'd on a customer car I built and Wilwood picked the pads based on their experience. Since being delivered the car has been tracked by the owner and he is working with Willwood on compound changes to try change front to rear bias a bit.

DaveView attachment 18135View attachment 18136

amazing! Thanks for the input. I’ll probably be using Gloc pads to start with.
no stress for the pad change as this will only be used for sprint events...

sfo
OP,

I'm racing a 2019 GT A10 and loving it! I'm now looking into learning to tune myself. I know zero about tuning. As I try and learn, I tuck away little tidbits people tell me. These tidbits are on my trust but veryify list. One of these tidbits to pass on to you is make sure you or your tuner knows the tune of the motor needs to jive with the tune of the A10. So if you are at a specific track and are right in between shifts and say you up the engine RPM limit a little to stay in a gear that new rpm limit needs to be in the A10 tune or something gets confused and the car does not shift right. We did things like screw with rpm limit on the banking at autoclub speedway in C5 Vettes to avoid a time costing 5th gear upshift for only a few seconds and then a downshift to 3rd entering the infield section. I don't really understand the coyote/A10 connection it but hope to in the near future as a learn about tuning. For now I just throw that out there for you to tuck that info away for yourself and see if it is ever important.

Did you weigh all that stuff you scraped out? I've been wondering how much weight there is in it, they sure put a pile of it in there. I had a shot at some, man what a nasty job. Used a hair dryer to soften it and then scrapers.

yeah the heat gun work well! I’m at 2,800 lbs the way it sits with the seat and steering column. I’m aiming at 3,200 with me (195lbs) and a 1/4 tank.

OP,

I'm racing a 2019 GT A10 and loving it! I'm now looking into learning to tune myself. I know zero about tuning. As I try and learn, I tuck away little tidbits people tell me. These tidbits are on my trust but veryify list. One of these tidbits to pass on to you is make sure you or your tuner knows the tune of the motor needs to jive with the tune of the A10. So if you are at a specific track and are right in between shifts and say you up the engine RPM limit a little to stay in a gear that new rpm limit needs to be in the A10 tune or something gets confused and the car does not shift right. We did things like screw with rpm limit on the banking at autoclub speedway in C5 Vettes to avoid a time costing 5th gear upshift for only a few seconds and then a downshift to 3rd entering the infield section. I don't really understand the coyote/A10 connection it but hope to in the near future as a learn about tuning. For now I just throw that out there for you to tuck that info away for yourself and see if it is ever important.

wow great input! Thanks a lot, i really need to put some more thought into it thats for sure.

we’ll also see how it reacts with the 4.10 gears.

Making some progress. We installed the engine mounts to the lowest position (which caused us some troubles with the intercooler piping). Removed the AC compressor, ac rad and hoses, it should help with the weight and with the engine cooling. As the engine is mostly stock, we will be using the OEM radiator for now with some nice shrouding and we'll see if it does the job. We’ll also be using the oem tranny cooler. Also installed the Steeda bearings on the tension arms, though we’ll be looking at changing them for something lighter eventually, they’re super heavy and the car is on a strict diet.
The rules also state that no panels other than oem must be installed under the car. The rear opening under the trunk in front of the rear bumper really bothered me, that is until we lifted a GT350 (technically a mustang for the rules) and realised it comes with a super nice diffuser from the factory which we’ll be fitting on the ecoboost bumper, should be pretty easy and effective!

5274759F-1CDA-4276-8F6B-616DA9A4D847.jpeg

2294A0A4-7692-49B1-9A16-F07C76811F94.jpeg

9F2E85AF-FD9F-435C-8A70-40ABB1C84A3B.jpeg

1852435E-0714-4A00-B16B-5F31A25C5A43.jpeg

E7B54545-3D33-4A3C-A1DF-4140CEC50B83.jpeg

E95B1F3A-C006-4F00-966D-62AD1F435B44.jpeg

5F031A9C-251A-49E1-BF5E-A953B0B1D160.jpeg

8E78C415-0493-4042-BCD0-A3BA6F22161B.jpeg

sfo
I see the MCS on there. Did you do vorschalg's package or just the MCS shocks and your own rates and shock valving? You will find on day 1 the oem tranny cooler inadequate. I did giant derale's for 5.0 motor and A10 and repurposed the oem tranny cooler to the diff. I still have not tested all the coolers being shot down by CV19

I see the MCS on there. Did you do vorschalg's package or just the MCS shocks and your own rates and shock valving? You will find on day 1 the oem tranny cooler inadequate. I did giant derale's for 5.0 motor and A10 and repurposed the oem tranny cooler to the diff. I still have not tested all the coolers being shot down by CV19

Vorschlag package...

inadequate, even with only 350hp going thru it?

sfo
Bolt on spacers? Hopefully just for mocking up wheel offsets?

That made me uneasy too! But is it really a problem? I race my S550 with the bolt on spacers because OPerf did not have the bolt through spacers in stock. There is something different about a bolt on spacer interfacing with the hub. These nuts stay tight like any other torqued nut. In many years of using this kind of spacer on streetcars I have never had a spacer nut come loose but wheel nuts sure. On a race car you have to take the wheel off to check or torque the spacer nuts hence why I went to bolt through spacers and long ARP studs. What is weird is that the wheel nuts will loosen after racing just like they do on any hub but the spacer nuts will be fully to torque. Why is that? There is something about the engineering or forces that cause the spacer nuts to be always tight and yet wheel nuts can loosen.

sfo
Vorschlag package...

inadequate, even with only 350hp going thru it?

I do not know what causes tranny heat the tranny in action of the HP going through it? On the GT's with A10 the A10 will overheat. The guy with most time on A10 is Flyhalf. You can read his development. I learned from his pain and read about others going bigger than flyhalf and just went with giant derale's trying to skip having to develop my coolers. The big derale's also fit bolt in and have a nice support bracket you can buy to hold them. I had to fabricate 1 small brackets and that was it! It was a Very fast completed project for a custom fabrication. This pic is mid build. I never took a final picture but you get the idea. I also have the hvac out and the condenser is gone too which should improve cooling.

I also went with Vorschlag the middle package because the rates seemed too stiff on his race package. I question the balance also from a simplistic suspension math perspective but I decided to try his setup and see what happens. I can always change rates to what my brain tells me and revalve. But honestly I hope the vorschlag package impresses me and I mutter under my breath with helmet on my head, "SOB Terry Fair really knows something."

20200411_164113.jpg

nice build, how well do you like taking the torch and scraping undercoating?..that's what hell will look like IMO.
I'm posting some pics of the Ford Trans Am 4spec car for a reference ..I'm pretty sure this is not the Gt4, this is the approved SCCA car, but I might be wrong, it's one or the other.

1KpjjBxl.jpg

5FCrQwtl.jpg

vgV9NRNl.jpg

hTIyTwFl.jpg

vJaiwDEl.jpg

KniNSgVl.jpg

eGOMPU8l.jpg

aN7EYXvl.jpg

PpDKFd0l.jpg

mQKXR1al.jpg

sfo
I did the same hell. That stuff is all over the place. Rob...I notice the fp350s does not have the strut tower bracing but some extra stitch welding of the shock towers. Any comments on that? It weighs a ton up high and happy to delete it if it is useless.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
That made me uneasy too! But is it really a problem? I race my S550 with the bolt on spacers because OPerf did not have the bolt through spacers in stock. There is something different about a bolt on spacer interfacing with the hub. These nuts stay tight like any other torqued nut. In many years of using this kind of spacer on streetcars I have never had a spacer nut come loose but wheel nuts sure. On a race car you have to take the wheel off to check or torque the spacer nuts hence why I went to bolt through spacers and long ARP studs. What is weird is that the wheel nuts will loosen after racing just like they do on any hub but the spacer nuts will be fully to torque. Why is that? There is something about the engineering or forces that cause the spacer nuts to be always tight and yet wheel nuts can loosen.

The problem with bolt on spacers is you are introducing another potential failure point and that's never a good thing, especially so when you're pushing everything to its limits. Trusting some company somewhere to not cut corners on a very important mechanical connection is not something I would do, especially given that most of this stuff is coming in from the far east these days and is of unknown quality. Plus adding another set of nuts that have to be checked, as you mentioned. There's not much that can fail on a high quality bolt through spacer.

I have never had a wheel nut come loose. I torque them to spec religiously and check the torque regularly. I've been doing the track thing since the late 80s, and been maintaining my own cars and equipment since 1968, and have had zero wheel stud or nut failures so far. There's no way I'd feel comfy with another set of nuts and studs on every wheel on the street or track, just one more thing to go wrong.

As always, to each his own.

sfo
The problem with bolt on spacers is you are introducing another potential failure point and that's never a good thing. There's not much that can fail on a high quality bolt through spacer.

Except the extra force put on the hub stud which is why Tim pairs his bolt through hub centric spacers with ARP hardened studs. But is that enough? I hope so because that's all I've got.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Except the extra force put on the hub stud which is why Tim pairs his bolt through hub centric spacers with ARP hardened studs. But is that enough? I hope so because that's all I've got.

I hope so too, 'cause that's what I've got as well. ARP studs are way stronger than the OEM ones though so I don't worry about this part of the car much. I never was a fan of spacers, but they are well made these days, solve some issues and in all honesty I've never heard of a failure, though I'm sure it's happened!

TMO Supporting Vendors