The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Building a 2020 10 spd. Ecoboost for racing. Inputs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I did the same hell. That stuff is all over the place. Rob...I notice the fp350s does not have the strut tower bracing but some extra stitch welding of the shock towers. Any comments on that? It weighs a ton up high and happy to delete it if it is useless.
We normally didn't run shock tower bracing because the cars were stitch welded, time well spent.
Those pics are from the cars debut at Sebring, they let us crawl all over it, take all the pics we wanted.

With regards to wheel spacers, use the ARP studs that Tim sells, and you'll have no issues, we literally stack spacers on those studs with no problems

Before you paint, add a piece from your main hoop to your B-Pillar to complete the upper box structure between the cage and the chassis. That is going to be one stiff setup, you can likely remove much of the rear package tray support and tie the rear glass mount to the rear wheel arches for supporting the glass to save some more weight. I have never added anything forward of the firewall as most series do not allow it, but it is something I want to do on my next build for my own car. I plan to add a machined spacer insert at the union of the forward bars and the main cage so the spacer can be removed to comply with any series rules. By removing the spacer it would disconnect the forward bars that connect the front towers to the main cage structure.

Looks very nice, keep up the good work.

Dave

IMG_6988.JPG

sfo
The watson I a pretty tested universal cage for the S550. The price is very good too. It did not work for how I wanted to build so I went a different direction. I would add tube from the bottom door tube to the sill plate. I think doorbars should be supported but check your GCR because sometimes there are limits to how many attachment points to the chassis. If that is an issue you can add a sill tube and then support the bottom of the door bars that way. But you add more weight. Do the factory cars without the Strut tower braces run the cage up to the shock towers?

Before you paint, add a piece from your main hoop to your B-Pillar to complete the upper box structure between the cage and the chassis. That is going to be one stiff setup, you can likely remove much of the rear package tray support and tie the rear glass mount to the rear wheel arches for supporting the glass to save some more weight. I have never added anything forward of the firewall as most series do not allow it, but it is something I want to do on my next build for my own car. I plan to add a machined spacer insert at the union of the forward bars and the main cage so the spacer can be removed to comply with any series rules. By removing the spacer it would disconnect the forward bars that connect the front towers to the main cage structure.

Looks very nice, keep up the good work.

Dave

View attachment 55932

Thanks for the input, too late for the paint but I had the plates made, I'll add them and touch up the paint...

What series don't allow anything to go thru the firewall?

SCCA touring does not, IMSA GT4 does not, not sure about GT3 or GTE. World Challenge would not but that may have changed.

The theory in GT cars is the cage is a safety device and while it does enhance the cars chassis it was not intended to add rigidity beyond the need for safety to protect the driver.
Once you get to purpose built tube chassis cars everything is tied to everything and they are very stiff.

dave

sfo
The car looks nice! Did you find out about the FP350s steering rack? The wilwood kits I saw for the rear are 14" rotors but the PP1 brakes are 13" in the rear. Did wilwood have a reason to up the size of the rear rotors?

TMO Supporting Vendors