The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Building a base Mustang to beat a Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This thread is quite funny. They are acting like the car is a sticker kit.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/787935-what-mods-enable-gt-comparable-boss.html

It is pretty funny. Thought about posting, but not worth the time. Most posters are purely comparing hp numbers and clearly don't understand what makes the Boss go faster around the track (which it's designed to do).

I have a good friend that has been modding the heck out of a 5.0. He's an excellent driver so it makes for a good comparison. His current mods include:

Boss intake
Steeda CAI/tune
Steeda sport springs
Koni Yellows
Adj LCAs
Fays2 Watts Link
Strano Adjustable sway bars front/rear
Boss Trans cooling scoop
Boss Brake cooling kit
Boss oil cooler
Boss 302S radiator
Boss LS gauge pack with oil temp/pressure and water temp
DBA 4000 rotors
Hawk DTC pads
Enkei PF01 wheels
Boss LS spoiler
Boss LS splitter
Roush bar grille
Differential catch can
JLT Oil Separator
Corsa Extreme mufflers

This car is phenomenal. It is really something to behold. The last time we were at the track, I was still running a few seconds faster in the Boss. He drove an LS and realized his car was still understeering quite a bit compared to the Boss so has since firmed up the rear bar and softened the front. He'll be at the Mustang Roundup at MPH this weekend so it will be interesting to see how he runs against all the Bosses. I'm sure he's going to do very well. I don't know how the total cost of the mods plus the base car compare to a Boss.

GA
You can build up a base GT to meet or exceed a Boss, but it will cost you more in the long run (unless perhaps if you do all of the installation work yourself).

GA
mwilson7 said:
And you will still have a GT......

Having a special edition can be a both a blessing and a curse though for a variety of reasons. I wanted a Boss but for me it is probably best I didn't get one, especially since it would have put me in a tighter financial position than the '08 Bullitt did. I like not stressing over a car now either since it is just a GT- I can feel better about parking it different places than if it was a Boss. I also feel like if something happens to it, I can say," No big deal, the insurance will cover it" instead of "OMG, my special edition Boss is ruined".

Sometimes it is still worth the price though - I have great memories that I know I would not have had without the Bullitt. Damn me for becoming a little older and a little wiser. ;)

You either "get" the Boss 302 or you don't.
Anyone can build a Mustang that will out perform a Boss, or even a GT500, but so what?
I bought a Boss for looks, handling, performance and what it "means".
I've got a car that right out of the box needs NOTHING. No engine tune, no SC added, no suspension tweaks (no lower control arms to stop the rear wheel hop), no changes to brakes, no aftermarket exhaust. It's the first Mustang I've owned that I didn't feel the need to tweak.

GA
Whammer said:
You either "get" the Boss 302 or you don't.
Anyone can build a Mustang that will out perform a Boss, or even a GT500, but so what?
I bought a Boss for looks, handling, performance and what it "means".
I've got a car that right out of the box needs NOTHING. No engine tune, no SC added, no suspension tweaks (no lower control arms to stop the rear wheel hop), no changes to brakes, no aftermarket exhaust. It's the first Mustang I've owned that I didn't feel the need to tweak.

That would have been my reasoning had the means been there.

GA
2012YellowBoss said:
mwilson7 said:

Winner of the comment of the month ;D (no slam intended but I just love my Boss)

I love your Boss too - especially the color. ;D I can relate- I reacted the same way too when people would try to belittle my '08 Bullitt.

cloud9 said:
It is pretty funny. Thought about posting, but not worth the time. Most posters are purely comparing hp numbers and clearly don't understand what makes the Boss go faster around the track (which it's designed to do).
Yep.

Before the Boss was announced I drove a few 5 DOT 0's and was impressed. I looked at a Roush Stage 2 and also buying a GT and modifying it to make it track worthy. A stock GT BBP car is an impressive sports/muscle car in it's own right as evidenced by the Motor Trend article comparing it to the BMW M3 that got a lot of people's attention In the end I decided a Boss was what I needed. And besides:

mwilson7 said:
;D

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
Yep.

Before the Boss was announced I drove a few 5 DOT 0's and was impressed. I looked at a Roush Stage 2 and also buying a GT and modifying it to make it track worthy. A stock GT BBP car is an impressive sports/muscle car in it's own right as evidenced by the Motor Trend article comparing it to the BMW M3 that got a lot of people's attention In the end I decided a Boss was what I needed. And besides:

mwilson7 said:
;D

I'm starting to feel like Eddie Murphy with the homemade burger on wonder bread... ;)

BLAZN BOSS

REALLY??????????????..........WHAT A TOPIC!......... And if I shoehorned a 514 in a probe..............Anything and anyone can make a car to outdo a Boss. These cars WILL take a place in value similar to their predecessors, unless ford keeps building them for many model years. But their last statement is that will "stick to history" which makes one think 2 years and done........Who knows where time will take us......30 40 years from now there may not be any fuel to run these..........but if God takes care of us, whixch I'm certain he will, these cars will be rolling across the Barrett auction stage..........wether they are "the greatest, fastest, whatever........Ford has etched in stone something really superb! So yes the GT can be made to out do the Boss.........and they will be a very nice car too, but they just won't have that name attached. I reccommend the book by Donald Farr MUSTANG BOSS 302: from racing legend to modern muscle car. Really cool reading......some intresting facts........LOTS of thought went into this car..more than just a name.....as simple as the rear axle, did you guys recognize that the axle is painted?.......a decision made because "they may just roll on the Barrett Jackson Auction".......they didnt want the car to have a rusty axle housing!. My two cents worth.

TMO Supporting Vendors