The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

building a car hauler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 old racer

Too blessed to be stressed and old track whore,
Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
I loved my old tilt bed car hauler I had 20+ years ago and cant bring myself to pay the high price of buying new and cant find a used one . So I figured I would just pick up a tilt bed trailer kit and build my own. The kits go for about $4200 and includes everything except the frame and bed. link provided below. Has any one here done this? please let me know what I am getting into before I pull the plug and start this project.

Last edited:
Oh boy....
I have discovered that unless you know exactly what you want, that buying a decent used, or a low budget new trailer, and then modifying them is usually a better way to go economically.
$4200 will buy you a really nice used trailer in most places, just plan on new bearings and maybe hubs in your budget.

1 old racer

Too blessed to be stressed and old track whore,
Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
Oh boy....
I have discovered that unless you know exactly what you want, that buying a decent used, or a low budget new trailer, and then modifying them is usually a better way to go economically.
$4200 will buy you a really nice used trailer in most places, just plan on new bearings and maybe hubs in your budget.
Also considering this method. I am going to order the plans (about 50 bucks) just to see what I need to modify to turn a std car trailer into a tilt bed or maybe even a pivot axle system and just bag it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
When a new 20' 10,000 lb power tilt steel trailer with diamond plate deck is $8,500 I don't see where you are going to save much. The kit and plans are $4,250 plus shipping and you still need to buy all the steel. Unless you just really want to build one I don't see the benefit.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel