The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bumped in parking lot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I took my 2013 GHIG boss out and get a hair cut after that was all done I was backing out very slowly and Guess what some wonderful women decided to race through the parking lot and brush up against my drivers side rear bumper.At first it looked pretty bad but after going to the body shop the guy there was able to buff all her tire marks off the bumper so the only real damage that has to be repaired is a one week old set of Borla touring mufflers that now has to have a new tip welded on the driver side muffler.A new muffler is 400.00 plus shipping a new tip is 60.00 and my fabricator that we use to make our stainless items at work will weld it for I hope free.This really could have been a lot worst for me but I never take the car out of the garage 500 mile garage queen.
Phil

That stinks. Good luck with the repairs.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
blazin boss said:
Well I took my 2013 GHIG boss out and get a hair cut after that was all done I was backing out very slowly and Guess what some wonderful women decided to race through the parking lot and brush up against my drivers side rear bumper.At first it looked pretty bad but after going to the body shop the guy there was able to buff all her tire marks off the bumper so the only real damage that has to be repaired is a one week old set of Borla touring mufflers that now has to have a new tip welded on the driver side muffler.A new muffler is 400.00 plus shipping a new tip is 60.00 and my fabricator that we use to make our stainless items at work will weld it for I hope free.This really could have been a lot worst for me but I never take the car out of the garage 500 mile garage queen.
Phil

Good Luck with repairs.. after seeing what I have seen here in New York over the past week or so.. I am going to drive the crap out of my car. Life is too short, you could lose anything and everything just like that. My car is too a garage queen.. No more!!!!

SUCKS!

My last car was a complete garage queen (other than a lot of track days), then I took it to get dyno tuned and some guy took half the bumper off while it was parked in the lot waiting for my turn. But after I fixed it, since it wasn't pristine anymore, I at least started to drive it more.

I really appreciate all you guys taking the time to be concerned.We all care for these cars like there our children.Like I said it could have been worst and from some of your responces I am lucy,only needed to order a new tip from Borla and touch up a small spot the size of a push pin head above the muffler opening and all is good.
Phil

Mine was bumped a few months back at a track event when a driver backed up without looking. I have a very small dent just ahead of the rear wheel on the passenger side. Still haven't decided if I'm going to fix it. Most likely if paintless dent repair can't do it, I;ll leave it be. I don't want the hassle of paint matching etc.

Glad yours was just a muffler tip and no real damage to the car itself.

jec246

Were you like this guy when it happened? :p haha ;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVKqhjM-atY[/youtube]

Well I found it very unusal that I did not loose it,I must be getting old.As for her paying for the muffler the answer is no she did not the insuranse company says it was my fault because I was backing up and she had the right away.I was able to get borla to sell me a tip and I will have our fabricator weld it on.So the total cost to me will be around 100.00 dollars and a very,very small chip above the exhaust opening which when touched up you will never see it.But the one thing I am pondering is maybe selling it because you just can't have nice things and be as anal as I am and not worry about something happening to it.
Phil

Sorry to hear about your accident and everyone elses, I have been lucky so far, almost 1,000 miles and no major or minor incidents, however, I refuse to let mine sit in the garage, I drive it on nice days and in rain-free weather. I think we are all conflicted at times, we all bought a pretty expensive TOY, but we each bought them for different reasons, some are to track and have a blast with, some are to drive and to simply own a piece of automotive heritage and history, and some are to hopefully setup our kids or their grandkids with a $100,000-$200,000 meal ticket after we are gone, or simply to have something that is ShowRoom perfect at the Carshows and events to hound the trophies...

While we all would like to have 1 or more of those "thoughts and options", there are some that honestly we may never live to see much of, and or simply don't want to chance ruining a rather large financial investment like the BOSS.

Personally, I plan to drive to enjoy my car as much as possible, I don't intend to sell it, but I can never rule that out as we don't know what the future holds... currently most of us have an equity of least $40,000 in our cars... in 5 years, I don't see it failing much shorter than that... I also don't see it going up yet either.

A friend of mine has many classic cars from the 50's, 60 and 70's. Some are restored Concourse Correct Cars that have Perfect Scores, some are daily drivers and some are in the process of being rebuilt. ALL are driven, wither it be to shows, or charity events, or just for a afternoon cruise on a nice day...

Everything can be fixed or replaced he says, "I am not going to let the fact that I spent $100,000 + restoring a car to concourse perfect condition keep me from enjoying why i spent that money in the first place, To ENJOY the car, To enjoy driving it when i want, and looking at it when i want and sharing my passion with others".

I think that speaks volumes, and is why we all invested some major "bank" in our cars, not because we want to get rich by reselling it 20-40 years down the road, not because we want to keep "ShowRoom Perfect", because we want to ENJOY the car, driving it, looking at it and sharing it with others...

I know another guy that has 2 BOSS cars, 2012 and 2013, 2012 he drives and 2013 he's had for 7 months and it has 24 miles on it... He wants to drive the 2013, but is afraid of rock-chips, dings, scratches, etc... I understand that, I do, but what is the point of having a car like this and not enjoying it? Granted he is enjoying his 2012 BOSS, which is virtually the same car with a different body... I just couldn't do it...

I bought my BOSS to say that I owned one, to say that I have enjoyed one and to have fun with it, within reason. I know I will never sell it unless I have no other option, and even then I will fight like hell to keep it, but I am also doing "Reversible mods" and keeping original parts, so if that day ever comes it can be turned back to factory. But that doesn't keep me from enjoying it.

To each their own... But it doesn't matter if you drive the BOSS or a brand new Fusion or Camaro or whatever, eventually something will happen, rock chip, accident, scrape, etc... its life... fix it and keep enjoying it...
This is one car I would drive till it dies, and then rebuild it, have the engine rebuilt, or buy a crate one and put back in if the original could not be rebuilt for some reason.

Its a TOY, plain and simple, we all could have purchased 2 cars for the price of this one that still gets us from A to B, and gets better MPG while doing it, we wanted THIS car... So please ENJOY it... How you do that is up to you, but have no regrets in life... its to short...

MLM

Mike
rpm3dinc said:
...not because we want to get rich by reselling it 20-40 years down the road, not because we want to keep "ShowRoom Perfect", because we want to ENJOY the car, driving it, looking at it and sharing it with others...

I agree. New cars are lousy investments if all you are looking for is a cash return decades in the future. The first 20 years is all depreciation anyway.

There is a 7,100-mile '87 Grand National on eBay that has bids up to $52,000, and another '87 GN with 700+ miles that has bids up to $55,000. Hardly seems worth waiting 26 years for that small of a return and not being able to drive the car in the meantime.

After the first chip or ding it is easier to let go of the garage queen mentality.

The last three statements that were made by rpm,MLM,302BOB are so true I am going to try my best to live by this.
Phil

I got so much coaching and advice on how to keep my 2013 perfect and detail the under carriage from all the classic car owners and BOSS owner hopefuls at work that I had enough. After 500 miles I drove it to work in the rain and parked it wet and muddy right where they could see from their offices. I bought to drive and enjoy and forgot that for 500 miles. I don't plan on modifying, but will drive and try to keep it as nice as I can. Good luck with the fix and enjoy the ride

Bought mine in June and have 680 miles on it so far...not because I don't want to drive it but because I never have the time. I also refuse to drive it in any weather other than dry and sunny! If I had more time off and more nice weather the mileage would be triple what it is.

rpm3dinc said:
I know another guy that has 2 BOSS cars, 2012 and 2013, 2012 he drives and 2013 he's had for 7 months and it has 24 miles on it... He wants to drive the 2013, but is afraid of rock-chips, dings, scratches, etc... I understand that, I do, but what is the point of having a car like this and not enjoying it? Granted he is enjoying his 2012 BOSS, which is virtually the same car with a different body... I just couldn't do it...

I suspect that he enjoys the 2013 equally as much as the 2012 but in a different way. Every time I park my Boss in the driveway, I spend five or ten minutes looking at it from different angles. Crazy, I know. When I put it in the garage, I do a complete walk around...sometimes two or three times. If I had two Bosses, I would most certainly have one to drive and one to look at. I'd even put one in my living room if I could. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors