The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Burn Out, Traction Control, 2 Step,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've had a hard time getting good burnouts and thought it was due to the 2 step. I'm writing this in case any one else has had the same issue.

If you plan to use the two step, set it at the rpm you want before you ever get to the track. The computer will lock it in at that RPM. I still haven't determined the best RPM. Don't use it with stock street tires. You'll never hook.

If you are going to drag race your car with sticky tires, the first thing you need to do is let the car idle, then step on the brake pedal and hold the traction contol button down until the dash lights up and tells you traction controll is turned off.

Now you can roll into the water box and do a 2nd gear burnout. That means you get your tires wet and dump the clutch in 2nd gear. It will get your tires spinning faster and keep you off the rev limiter.

The problem I was having is that I wasn't fully turning off the trac control. So when I tried doing a burnout the car would bog. I thought it was the two step. Then I would dump the clutch to launch with the 2 step activated and the car would bog. I thought the tires were hooking so goog that the car was bogging. Finally I realized the whole issue was the traction control. It just won't work right with the 2 step.

The moral to the story is that you have to turn the traction control off fully if you want to drag race.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i know my gt is different, but i wouldn't think that different in the TCS department. i only need to press the button once to do as much of a burnout as i want. now, tracking the car does require the brake, button hold procedure to turn the TCS off-off.

I believe Puffer is right, one click turns off TC, the 2 clicks or holding the button are for sport mode and for all-off including stability control. I'm not sure stability control will do anything in a straight line, as doing the occasional launch on mine with just TC off has not triggered the electronics.

CaliMR said:
I believe Puffer is right, one click turns off TC, the 2 clicks or holding the button are for sport mode and for all-off including stability control. I'm not sure stability control will do anything in a straight line, as doing the occasional launch on mine with just TC off has not triggered the electronics.

All I know is that I was leaving as high as 5000 rpm using launch control. If I only pushed the trac control button once, the car would nearly stall when I dumped the clutch. When I turned the trac control off by holding it down for 7 seconds, It didn't bog at all. Unfortunately, it blew the tires off and I didn't get to make any more passes at a lower RPM.

TMO Supporting Vendors