The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Burn outs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This may be a stupid question but how do all these cars you see in videos do those smoke filled burn outs with out ruining the rear brakes or do they have what they used to call line locks back in the early 80's.I see alot of Shelby's and Boss videos where they are setting still,smoke rolling off the back tires,holding the brakes on as they do it.Tires are exspensive without adding the cost of new rear brakes too.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Old school at the strip we used to shift to second and dump the clutch in the water box then jump on the brake with the left foot. Front brakes would hold the car and the rears can't hold against the engine torque. Can't imagine what that would do to the ABS computers today.
Steve

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
steveespo said:
Old school at the strip we used to shift to second and dump the clutch in the water box then jump on the brake with the left foot. Front brakes would hold the car and the rears can't hold against the engine torque. Can't imagine what that would do to the ABS computers today.
Steve
takes about 15-20 of those and it burns up the rear pads and rotors...or about the cost of a line lock kit. I used to do it that way for years. line lock makes it so much easier to do and more consistent at heating up the tires. and not to mention it saves your rear brakes. just feel how hot they get after doing a healthy burnout that way once and see what I am talking about

TMO Supporting Vendors