The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Burnouts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I allowed my brother to have a full "all out" with my car and see what he thought of it now. Before I was reluctant to let him do anything since it had less than 1500 miles on it and I wasn't going to be rough on it until at least 5,000.

My brother who has raced cars (dirt track) about 5 years less than I had was looking forward to seeing the true potential of the Boss 302. He was very impressed with the braking power the car had......compared it to something of an amusement ride. He also LOVED the handling, hitting corners hard and watching it just grab the ground beneath it.

One part he learned quickly was when we first went out in the morning (46 degrees) the car would not have much grip with the factory summer only tires. But of course once the sun came out and it warmed up, it got better.

Now the one problem we ran into was when I allowed him to do a "burnout". It appears through several tries he could not get the car to continue through or up to 3rd gear. At first I thought it was because he had traction control on......that was off and he tried a couple of times. We even went as far as trying it with Advance Track off......that didn't work.

Maybe he just wasn't getting it into 3rd gear at the right time..........but trust me, he tried and tried with the same results. Now I didn't bother because the tires were getting hot and it was getting late, but I wonder if it has anything to do with skip shift or not having Trackey? This is just a guess.

Or maybe it was just operator error! Nonetheless, it's not that big of a deal but it did raise a few questions of mine. Anyone else run into the same type of problem?

SUPRMN said:
So I allowed my brother to have a full "all out" with my car and see what he thought of it now. Before I was reluctant to let him do anything since it had less than 1500 miles on it and I wasn't going to be rough on it until at least 5,000.

My brother who has raced cars (dirt track) about 5 years less than I had was looking forward to seeing the true potential of the Boss 302. He was very impressed with the braking power the car had......compared it to something of an amusement ride. He also LOVED the handling, hitting corners hard and watching it just grab the ground beneath it.

One part he learned quickly was when we first went out in the morning (46 degrees) the car would not have much grip with the factory summer only tires. But of course once the sun came out and it warmed up, it got better.

Now the one problem we ran into was when I allowed him to do a "burnout". It appears through several tries he could not get the car to continue through or up to 3rd gear. At first I thought it was because he had traction control on......that was off and he tried a couple of times. We even went as far as trying it with Advance Track off......that didn't work.

Maybe he just wasn't getting it into 3rd gear at the right time..........but trust me, he tried and tried with the same results. Now I didn't bother because the tires were getting hot and it was getting late, but I wonder if it has anything to do with skip shift or not having Trackey? This is just a guess.

Or maybe it was just operator error! Nonetheless, it's not that big of a deal but it did raise a few questions of mine. Anyone else run into the same type of problem?

Well I'll be the first to say....I'm no racing/hot rod expert....but how does one do a burnout and and shift gears up to 3rd?

He was doing the burnout from a complete stop and going through the gears as he was reaching the rev limiter at each gear.............and as soon as he would get to shifting to 3rd gear, it wouldn't let him and he'd have to call it quits.

Sometimes we would stay somewhat stationary and other times slowly move during the burnout.

BLAZN BOSS

never heard of upshifting during a burnout..............drag raced form many many years............with these cars i would hit the water box and line lock the car then dump the clutch in second...........when you feel the car laboring, release the line lock and finish up the burn out .......dry hop and you should be all you can be. Of course you probably dont have line lock but the brake will suffice.........but hard on the rear pads...........advance track off would be a must. of course all my opinion!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel