The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Burping the cooling system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is there any special procedure for burping the cooling system ? Took my stock radiator out to put in some super duper radiator but for reasons I wont get into right now I have to put the stock one back in. I got everything up top buttoned up and I wanted to start it tonight but I realized I don't know if I need to do anything special.

I almost killed my 03 Mach 1 because I didn't know you needed to burp it from the cross over tube. I certainly don't want to make the same mistake with my LS... especially when I'm so close to paying it off.....

Anyways, do I just fill it from the reservoir until it wont take anymore with the motor running and maybe run the heater to circulate through the core as well ? Any special mixture I need to run or just 50/50 dexcool/distilled water (I'm using the stuff from the Ford dealer, but come on... its dexcool) ?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Rusty
Ford procedure calls for the use of vacuum device (Air Lift) to refill cooling system. It's about $100 from Amazon and works exactly as advertised. It has adapters that insert into the degas cap neck and you use shop air to create a vacuum on the entire system. Then you put the fill hose in the jug of new coolant and open the fill valve. Keep the hose end submerged at all times when the valve is open, when switching jugs close the valve and transfer the hose. Continue filling until the gauge reads zero vacuum and you are done. Check the cold fill level and add or remove a little coolant as needed. You are ready to go with no air pockets trapped in the cylinder heads.
Worthwhile investment to prevent engine damage from hotspots in the heads.

50/50 mix is fine, and yes it's Dex cool.
Steve

I talked to my friend at Ford parts. He could be wrong, but he told me it is dexcool.

Is there a way to burp the coolant system safely without buying a tool or should I just bite the bullet and order the thing ? Also do you have a link to the tool on amazon ?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
According to the owner manual this is the type of coolant to be use:

•Motorcraft Specialty
Orange Engine Coolant with
Bittering Agent (US)
•Motorcraft Specialty
Orange Engine Coolant
(Canada)
•VC-3-B (US)
•CVC-3-B (Canada) /
WSS-M97B44-D

If you want to use another brand, you have to make sure it conform to the following standard: WSS-M97B44-D. It's usually written on the back of the coolant jug. If it's not written that it meets this, I would recommend you buy a newer bottle of coolant that meets that requirement to keep you warranty.

If you google standard WSS-M97B44-D, you will find that it is a standard met by DexCool.

skwerl

tree hugger
I won't get into the different grades/colors of coolant, but GM Dexcool will turn into goop if you mix it with other types of coolant.

Old mechanic's trick here which you can try or you can simply ignore if you think it's a crock of shiznit. It is the only way I've ever filled an engine with coolant including my forged 302e stroker motor last year in my 643hp Bullitt.

Pull out your thermostat. There will be a small cotter pin or similar pin sticking through a hole in the thermostat body, which works like a check valve in the air bleed hole. Pick up a pair of diagonal snips and cut the pin off. Reinstall the thermostat, close it up, fill the radiator and fire the engine up. The air will purge itself out through the bleed hole in the thermostat and no need to do anything further other than run it up to temperature, let it cool down and check coolant level again.

JScheier said:

•Motorcraft Specialty
Bittering Agent (US)
•Motorcraft Specialty
Orange Engine Coolant
(Canada)
•VC-3-B (US)
•CVC-3-B (Canada) /
WSS-M97B44-D

This is correct

It is also available in premixed (50/50) containers, as well

VC-3DIL-B

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Please just buy the tool.
http://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410905788&sr=8-1&keywords=airlift
Or find a shop that has one. Are you going to risk a $3000 head gasket/head replacement job on a $110 tool and $45 worth of Ford coolant?
Steve

It isn't a matter of me being cheap, it is a matter of time. I have to have this done and have the car driving reliably/safely by Friday. Moving from SoCal to Seattle area soon but I'm leaving the car behind for now. Thankfully I have a prime account so I should get this thing by Thursday.

Thanx for the link to the tool, I just ordered it. It will be here Thursday afternoon so I should be able to knock this out and take it for a drive before I leave. Need to put some fresh gas in there with a fuel stabilizer too.

I bought a jug of coolant from Ford, not premixed. Will I need a second jug ?

FFS I need to get an updated copy of AllData or a factory shop manual....

I don't know how much is left in the block but I will likely need a second just of concentrated coolant along with another jug of distilled to get it all topped off.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Picked it up at the local dealer, think I paid $18 each. Guy doing parts is a fellow Mustang owner so we chat a bit then he gives me a deal. Online it sells for around $20 but shipping is high, as expected.

Well, I got it all taken care of and burped/vacuumed out. I didn't have time to take it for a drive... moving sux ! Thanks for the help guys !

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Alberta

•Motorcraft Specialty
Bittering Agent (US)
•Motorcraft Specialty
Orange Engine Coolant
(Canada)
•VC-3-B (US)
•CVC-3-B (Canada) /
WSS-M97B44-D

If you want to use another brand, you have to make sure it conform to the following standard: WSS-M97B44-D. It's usually written on the back of the coolant jug. If it's not written that it meets this, I would recommend you buy a newer bottle of coolant that meets that requirement to keep you warranty.

If you google standard WSS-M97B44-D, you will find that it is a standard met by DexCool.
FYI - Fords new Yellow coolant is backwards compatible with the Orange coolant.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel