The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Buying a supercharger tomorrow!! Need some help tonight please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So a guy from the performance shop I'm getting my car worked on recommended a Magnuson Supercharger. He spoke to one of the companies reps and they said they make one specific for the regular boss and laguna seca (link below). It's a roots blower like the GT 500. Aesthetically, it looks cool to match my valve covers, but I really need some good advice because I had my mind wrapped around the procharger II or the beefcake special by paxton.

My technician said the labor install on the magnuson will cost $600 vs $1000 on the proccharger or beefcake. The technician was really pushing for the Magnuson and was trying to sell me hard on it saying there is more usuable power from this blower than the other centrifugal ones. Even thought the Magnuson is $6150, I'm out the door between $7400-7500 with labor and tune. This will be at least $500 less out the door than the other two blowers. Does anyone have insight?

http://www.magnacharger.com/p-89-ford-mustang-gt-50-2011-2012-magnacharger-supercharger-blue.aspx

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If it were me, I'd rather have this system from VMP: http://vmptuning.com/vmp-tvs/50l-tvs/

VMP is pretty big in the 4.6L blower market and they are a trusted name in supercharged tuning.
They are no stranger to the 2.3L TVS from Eaton/Roush which their own design is based on.

The tuning support is probably the most important aspect here--that is what will ensure your engine remains not only powerful but SAFE for many miles. Tunes make or break (both literally and figuratively) supercharged cars.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'd pass on the Magnuson. Just me.

But more importantly, what do YOU want to do with the extra power? Road race? Drag race? Bragging rights? Stoplight?

Tulsa, OK
I would steer away from the maggy...

If you want a PD blower I would get a roush from VMP.

If you want a centri blower then go with a paxton from beefcake.

Both are proven setups.

My $0.02...

thanks for the responses guys....Just spoke to the man himself Jon Lund! Couldn't believe it. First off, I emailed Lund Racing and didn't expect to hear from anyone but to my amazement, Jon Lund called me himself and we talked for a good 20 minutes. He normally doesn't call anyone - especially after work hours but he took the time to call me and explain how his tunes work and the utmost confidence he has in them. Well, I'm sold!

I'm going with the vortech beefcake special and a custom Lund remote tune thanks to Jon. I can't express how cool it was to talk to one of the industry's tuning leaders for stangs and how nice Jon was on the phone. He answered all of my questions and really gave me the confidence to make this decision I was sweating about for weeks now. Thank you Jon! Your customer service was absolutely outstanding. I'll be sure to post pics of the ride when it's done for everyone to see.

Grant 302 said:
I'd pass on the Magnuson. Just me.

But more importantly, what do YOU want to do with the extra power? Road race? Drag race? Bragging rights? Stoplight?

Just for the street my friend. Maybe a little bragging rights but I know I won't be the fastest, just in the top 5 percent of the quickest cars I see on the road and that's good enough for me.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
yankeehick said:
Just for the street my friend. Maybe a little bragging rights but I know I won't be the fastest, just in the top 5 percent of the quickest cars I see on the road and that's good enough for me.

Then your Vortech/Lund plan would work just fine! 8)

tlflow said:
you ever pull the trigger?

I am happy to say I pulled the trigger on the BEEFCAKE SPECIAL Vortech kit. I'm thrilled and can't wait to get this baby in. I upgraded to the shorter pulley which puts me at 3.47 and I think around 9 - 9.5 lbs of boost. This is going to easily put me at 600+ rwhp. I also got it in black. Terry is putting it together now for me and will be shipped off in a few days to the performance shop who's doing the install. I am also purchasing the Boss gauge cluster (pod/outer shell only [see below]) that mounts to the top of the dash but instead I'm swapping out the gauges and going with a wideband, boost and tach/shiftlight gauge in replacement. Going to look pretty good I think.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-guage-pack-1012.html

TMO Supporting Vendors