The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Buying/Building a boss up, the hard way. (lotso picture warning)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Long time lurker, part time troll here. Wanted to make a thread about a mustang build of mine that may be of some familiarity and interest to you guys. I've met many of your on other forums and at racing events/track attack.

I wanted to buy a Boss 302 back in late 2010, went as far as to get the order process moving as I was bored with paying all my spare money to Audi's service department on my 04 B6 S4. Well push came to shove and I decided on an inbound Brembo Pack GT with all the trimmings versus waiting 9 more months. At first, that seemed like a fantastic idea. It was the same yellow blaze as the boss was and most of the boss parts were showing up at dealer parts databases and FRPP dealers (thanks guys for being so diligent there in getting all the info out in the open).

Here's the car when I bought it in 2010, and the progress of pictures takes you to today (instead of typing a thousand words, I'll let the pictures do the talking):

newstang1.jpg

cloudy-7.jpg

chris-12.jpg

chris-14.jpg

magnaflow-36.jpg

magnaflow-4.jpg

chris-2.jpg

chris-5.jpg

install8.jpg

firw3.jpg

tempe-6.jpg

clutch-4.jpg

inde(2).jpg

inde(4).jpg

mustang-11.jpg

frrg-3.jpg

frrg-2.jpg

broken-4.jpg

and today:

broken-8.jpg

Looks like it will get all the respect it deserves when on track and that what it's all about. Probably better balanced than real boss at this point from what the pictures show.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
So in short, I've managed to break the coyote motor (who knew that having an aggressive tune and revving it to the moon on most of the southwest's roadcourses would cause that?)

So going forward, the car is having the following done:

11.5:1 all forged MMR1000 shortblock, Boss heads, boss-mbr exhaust cam, boss intake and hardware seen above
ceramic coated stock headers
larger radiator (mulling my choices)
MMR air-oil cooler and filter relocation
MMR 10QT oil pan
Aeroforce interceptor and some trimmings
Cat deletes to hook up to the boss H pipe (which may mean the catback has to go depending on sound)
Tiger Racing vented hood in fiberglass

Down the road there will be other mods, but the above is what's happening in the next few weeks.

So the moral of the post? Prooobably should have bought the boss, but half the fun is in the journey. I'm basically there minus the recaros and torsen (and those items will likely be addressed before 2012's out I'd imagine).

Going forward, I'll post updates in this thread with the build and how the modifications are going. Should be a pretty exciting thing, hurt the wallet quite a bit, but I've paid the bills and now just am playing the waiting game.

GA
Nice choice. ;D I have seen your car on S197forum. We have gone down a similar path, but most of my mods have been exterior to this point. I am planning on a Ford Racing MGTAA suspension pack and a few other upgrades, but it looks like you are going further. I am probably just going to so go far with this car and then buy a gently used 2013 Boss down the road.

Did you pull the regular 5.0 and drop a Boss motor in it or did you just upgrade the internals and intake? If you dropped a Boss motor in it what else did you need to do aside from the motor (and I assume the ECU)?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Thats a sweat car man :)

Whats the story on the clutch and what was your replacement clutch and how do you like it? Thats the hot topic around here the shifting/clutch on the boss

Great post. Now please provide some details on the pics. I like the hockey stripe that only reads 302. Perhaps you could add BAWS 302 if you don't want to write BOSS, or some other play on words.

Great bunch of photo's there, i think your Car looks very individual, i really like the stance too, just get all your engine mods done and have another go, no need to change the car imo.

Bum deal on the engine. Read about it over on the TMS.

Following this thread/build. Good luck with everything.

piceees r niceeeee :D glad everyone doesnt do this. you guys would kill hours off my life. maybe days ;D when im done with this reply im going to stare at them some more :-\ do you have vids?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
SMACK78 said:
piceees r niceeeee :D glad everyone doesnt do this. you guys would kill hours off my life. maybe days ;D when im done with this reply im going to stare at them some more :-\ do you have vids?

I do. http://www.youtube.com/captdistraction

Justin said:
Thats a sweat car man :)

Whats the story on the clutch and what was your replacement clutch and how do you like it? Thats the hot topic around here the shifting/clutch on the boss

I sheared two of the factory clutches, they just can't be used on a roadcourse if you're approaching 7k rpm in a GT. They're crappy units, the material bonding glue crystalizes then cleanly shears from the plate surface. I bought a McLeod RXT and love it. No shifting issues as far as the clutch is concerned with great street manners. Ever so slight chatter if its cold and in traffic, but very very slight and doesn't bother me at all.

PJWANNABE said:
Did you pull the regular 5.0 and drop a Boss motor in it or did you just upgrade the internals and intake? If you dropped a Boss motor in it what else did you need to do aside from the motor (and I assume the ECU)?

Its still being built by MMR in California. Custom motor with manley H beam rods, manley 11.5:1 pistons, my block and crank, and a bunch of other goodies. As far as tuning it I'm reaching out to Shaun at AED. I was using BlowByRacing as the previous tuner.

5 DOT 0 said:
captdistraction said:
So in short, I've managed to break the coyote motor (who knew that having an aggressive tune and revving it to the moon on most of the southwest's roadcourses would cause that?)
So just how high were you revving it? :p Good luck with the rebuild/upgrade.

7700, though last month of ownership I had moved to 7500 for the redline.

GA
I will have to keep an eye on the clutch. i run it up to or close to 7K frequently on the road course and have not had an issue yet. I only do about 4 or 5 events a year max and I try not to beat the crap out of it since it is my only car, so maybe you drive more events and harder. I also don't run in really high ambient temps- no fun for me or the car.

GA
Grant 302 said:
Nice car, and welcome!

But thanks for making me worry about the stock clutch in my GT! ;D

I think given the initial problems with the clutch and MT82 in MY2011 Ford may have quietly changed some things for 2012. I have had no drive train issues yet. I think the '12 and '13 GTs have also benefited from the Boss development.

At least you have a Boss too to beat on so you can be more gentle with the GT. ;)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
PJWANNABE said:
I think given the initial problems with the clutch and MT82 in MY2011 Ford may have quietly changed some things for 2012. I have had no no drive train issues yet. I think the '12 and '13 GTs have also benefited from the Boss development.

At least you have a Boss too to beat on so you can be more gentle with the GT. ;)

I'm glad somebody understands! ;)

But I am hopeful that I got some of the updates from a relatively late build in September '10. And I'll settle for just being lucky...

TMO Supporting Vendors