The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Buying scrubs worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have been thinking of getting some scrubs for Autocrossing, and was looking for some feedback on them. at $150 each w/shipping, are they really worth it? I hope to autocross at Ft Devens and with CartCT at Thompson this summer and figured I could do it on DWs. But would like to entertain a budget AutoX-only set, since that kind of racing is so abusive on tires and I want to have a set stay in good safe shape for the road. I have a kid on the way next month and want to keep him safe with good tires, and keep the Boss in good shape for him to inherit.

My questions: (looking at 18" A6 or R888 from johnbtires or jbracingtires)
-do they have ~$150 worth of material?
-Does the A6 have a wear indicator? This is why I am thinking AutoX, I don't know if I would trust them on a high-speed road course.
-A6 vs R6: Is there more potential for the A6 to already be heat-cyced out and I might as well just get an R6 instead?
-The other option is to just use the Conti DW and one set of 18" wheels for everything and replace tires as needed. I do have 1 summer of AutoX and a track day behind me, and better tires will help but maybe going to R comps is too soon? Too sticky for stock suspension? I will be changing the pads.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Take of slicks from JB Racing Tires are worth it, I don't know about the Hoosiers but I have purchased Pirelli slicks from JB, John Berget and Turner Motorsports and they all have been as advertised tread wise. On track (road corse) I have had no issues with balance or flat spots and I have 3 days on my first set and still have at least 1 left. Price wise of the 16 tires I have bought to date I have paid an average of $100, shipping included, don't pay the asking price, call and make an offer you should get a discount. Running stock or replacement tires on track or auto x can get very expensive, depending on how hard you push you can cord front tires in 150 track miles. I was easy on my stock Pirellis when I first started and got about 10000 miles and 3 days on the fronts and 5 on the rears but that is because I was no where near 8/10ths driving. Last season I wiped out a set of $1500 Corsas in 450 track miles so the move to take offs was both a financial and performance win. When switching to R comps or slicks you need to ease into the extra grip, they have less forgiving break away characteristics, the grip is huge but they let go at the limit more abruptly and with less warning (squeal, scrub) than street tires. Pete in CT gave me great advise, so try and talk to others in your group that are running similar tires to what you are looking for.
Steve

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The only thing you may want to consider is that many Clubs ( especially SCCA ) now have classes running street tires, therefore depending on the mods on your car, you may be better off running what you do on the street , but just getting a slightly more aggressive street tire --plenty of options out there that are not overly high priced.

If you decide to get used tires skip the used Hoosier A6s as they will go fairly quickly anyway. Full race slicks can be gotten pretty cheap and are fun on the track, but would bump you into C Prepared Class.

I ran R6s last year at three autocrosses and then got two full weekends on the track, so depending on how aggressive you are you would likely see this much life or more. A set of Nittos would likely run you a Summer of doing both, but skip the Pirellis as not finding too many folks having luck with them at all -- and the cost is stratospheric.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yea, it would possibly bump me a few classes running slicks :) I think the Boss itself could probably hang OK in that kind of class, but not me at this point. But I am going to have fun more than compete, at least right now. As long as I see my times improving, I am happy. But street tires would certainly be less of a pain since I would have to crap wheels and tires in the trunk and back seats, and carry a jack, and blah blah blah.... I am starting to see why most guys just stick with tires like PS2s, NT05Rs, etc... I am one of those guys who plans ahead waaaaaay too much. I can't help it, especially during the winter. Thanks for the help!

steveespo said:
Take of slicks from JB Racing Tires are worth it, I don't know about the Hoosiers but I have purchased Pirelli slicks from JB, John Berget and Turner Motorsports and they all have been as advertised tread wise. On track (road corse) I have had no issues with balance or flat spots and I have 3 days on my first set and still have at least 1 left. Price wise of the 16 tires I have bought to date I have paid an average of $100, shipping included, don't pay the asking price, call and make an offer you should get a discount. Running stock or replacement tires on track or auto x can get very expensive, depending on how hard you push you can cord front tires in 150 track miles. I was easy on my stock Pirellis when I first started and got about 10000 miles and 3 days on the fronts and 5 on the rears but that is because I was no where near 8/10ths driving. Last season I wiped out a set of $1500 Corsas in 450 track miles so the move to take offs was both a financial and performance win. When switching to R comps or slicks you need to ease into the extra grip, they have less forgiving break away characteristics, the grip is huge but they let go at the limit more abruptly and with less warning (squeal, scrub) than street tires. Pete in CT gave me great advise, so try and talk to others in your group that are running similar tires to what you are looking for.
Steve

What size are you buying?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Mark
I am running 265/645-18 front 305/680 or 650-18 rear. I also have sets of 255/650-19 front 295/675-19 rears all sets are Pirelli DH compound and all have been delivered as advertised with 80%+ tread depth. I ran one set of front 18s down after 3 days and about 375 track miles, still have one day in them but I think they have hit the deg cliff as Steve Matchett would say. Rear tires seem to last longer, same as I find with street tires.

steveespo said:
Mark
I am running 265/645-18 front 305/680 or 650-18 rear. I also have sets of 255/650-19 front 295/675-19 rears all sets are Pirelli DH compound and all have been delivered as advertised with 80%+ tread depth. I ran one set of front 18s down after 3 days and about 375 track miles, still have one day in them but I think they have hit the deg cliff as Steve Matchett would say. Rear tires seem to last longer, same as I find with street tires.

Are the 305s on 10 or 10.5 wheels?

TMO Supporting Vendors