The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

C&D Lightning Lap 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The results are in and the GT350R put down a lap of 2:51.8 which is very respectable and is the quickest time ever recorded for it's price range. But the 2014 Z/28 posted a 2:50.9 time two years ago and was 0.9 seconds faster using the Trefeo R tire. I find this a bit hard to believe but I also believe the Trefeo R tire is faster than the PSC2 on the R. I'm pretty sure the R is faster on the same track, same day, same driver and using the SAME TIRES. We'll probably never find out but I'm sure the Camaro guys are happy. ;) There were also some interesting comments about the PSC2 on the Grand Sport which they thought were faster than the tires on the R.

Other thoughts:

The R is faster than the $134,000 BMW M4 GTS.

The R is faster than the new $104,000 Cayman GT4.

The $46,000 Camaro 1LE, on the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires, was 3 seconds slower than the $66,000 R . Looks like the newest version of the Goodyear F1 3 is a step up from the previous version. Still a nice showing from the 1LE.

The R is a LOT faster than the $202,000 Audi R8 V10 Plus. The Audi R8 V10 was easy prey in the Boss and even easier prey in the GT350.

The new Acura NSX: yawn.

The Corvette Grand Sport is FAST. Great showing against the Porsche GT3 RS, McLaren and Ferrari.

The Viper ACR is a beast! I've been on track with one in my 350 and it passed me so fast it nearly peeled the paint off my car. :eek:

You gotta love that both a Mustang and Camaro are even mentioned in the same sentence with some of the fastest and most expensive cars ever made. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OcIXb_iemo

1CA431D6-B2C6-4B67-8CE4-DAEE04348CED_zpsxswnroom.jpg

The R is LOUD!
BEFBF12C-D3E8-4130-BFEA-D65DCDCD1191_zps1q0biavp.jpg

C00162E2-D9D6-4719-8444-7AFEE883A7A8_zpsg3yzkjfi.jpg

011BDB73-7EE5-4C2B-B52A-011354E806DC_zpsr7jxxmax.jpg

Liightning lap comparisons particularly year to year are fraught with problems. Track has been paved and layout changed over the years. Also very driver dependent as it is the magazine staff who tests the cars. They are not all tested by the same driver back to ack. Take them with a grain of salt. YMMV

Tal

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Agreed. Lightning lap is good bathroom reading but thats about it. No constants for true comparison. Great difference in driver skills, tires, pavement year to year, weather.

The lap times noted at Laguna Seca with drivers of similar skill are much better barometers.

The debate on LSX vs. Mod motor is quite interesting to read considering 85% of the people couldn't tell you what VIR is or where it is.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
While I don't put much stock in comparisons done at different times and conditions, it still points to the Trofeos being the faster tire. Remember that the 'faster' tire is also the one that brakes better.

You just need to get a set and let us know, Rick! ;)

Sean said:
The debate on LSX vs. Mod motor is quite interesting to read considering 85% of the people couldn't tell you what VIR is or where it is.

The advantages of the LSx platform are few, but significant. Size, torque and displacement. Maybe cost/simplicity of aftermarket cam upgrade. ::) Objectively, a great platform. Just my opinion that the modular engines are better overall, even if it has some pretty limiting constraints.

Even if the Camaro is faster, the GT350R is so much sexier to look at. I know this isn't a Boss comparison, but as mentioned in the "Ford Remakes a Legend" DVD, the feeling and emotion that the mustang brings when driving it in a race track is what really leaves the competition in the dust!

The year to year comparisons are hard to swallow but within the same year there is relevance. Make no mistake GM is throwing out some fast cars regardless if you like pushrods or not. Having started out with motorcycles I've always been into high revving engines and a Porsche GT3 shrieking at 9,000 RPM's is music to me ears as is the voodoo at 8,000! The new Camaro and the Z/28 are very capable cars on track and the Z/28 looks pretty bad a$$. Throw in the Z06 and GS Corvettes and GM has just about all the bases covered. Let's hope Ford continues the chase and some of the new FGT tech flows downhill to the Mustang. ;D

REAL 1

Unfortunately even within the same year it's a fail a good comparison as C&D use different drivers of different skills driving different cars.

When you compare times at LaGuna as posted on Fast Laps and verified with skilled drivers wheeling the cars that's a better barometer and apples to apples gauge. the cars posting verified times between 1:37 and 1:40 included the Z28, ZL1, 997 GT3RS, Boss 302 LS, M4, M6, C63 AMG.

REAL 1

True, however, the driver component is more constant with skilled drivers. That is the most important variable absent drastically varied conditions.

fuhrius said:
The R is in great company. As is the Focus RS. These are terrific cars, gents.

The deal of the year is definitely the Camaro 1LE V6. It is within 0.1 sec of a Focus RS and within 2.1 seconds of a BMW M2, on a 3-minute lap. It is TEN SECONDS faster than the Ecosnooze Mustang they tested last year, although there apparently was something wrong with that car.

Given GM's strategy of putting MSRP way too high, and then discounting later, you might be able to get a V6 1LE for under 30K at this time next year. That is a heck of a bargain.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
coboss said:
The deal of the year is definitely the Camaro 1LE V6. It is within 0.1 sec of a Focus RS and within 2.1 seconds of a BMW M2, on a 3-minute lap. It is TEN SECONDS faster than the Ecosnooze Mustang they tested last year, although there apparently was something wrong with that car.

Given GM's strategy of putting MSRP way too high, and then discounting later, you might be able to get a V6 1LE for under 30K at this time next year. That is a heck of a bargain.

Go buy one. Assuming you can find a dealer willing to deal.

TMSBOSS said:
Go buy one. Assuming you can find a dealer willing to deal.

You guys are too used to the Ford way of ripping off customers with ADM. GM has already said there will be no caps on any of their performance cars, including the ZL1 and 1LE Camaros, Grand Sport Corvette (4.7 seconds faster than the GT350R at the same price), or any other of their cars. If you want one, you go order it at *any* dealer, and they build it. None of the BS of finding a dealer with an "allocation".

GM *does* put ridiculously high MSRP on their cars, which is why you can even get a Z06 for under sticker. It is really just a starting point for negotiation with them.

With the internet, it is no problem finding the car you want if you don't want to order. You may have to travel for it if you are picky, but I'm sure there will be plenty of 1LE V6 Camaros around in September of 2017 for under $30K.

If I had the cash and somewhere to park it, I would pay $70K in a heartbeat for a Grand Sport Corvette built to my exact specifications with any of the hundreds of color/stripe/equipment combinations offered on that car, rather than paying a greedy Ford dealer $70K for a take it or leave it deal on a GT350.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@coboss makes some very good points. However, if I were in the 'Vette market, I'd just wait 5 years and you can buy whichever model you want for $35K or less, and most of the cars will have pretty low miles on them and "have never seen rain" ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors