The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

C&L no tune required CAI?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Anyone running the C&L cold air intake no tune required with the track key? There site claims it will work with the track key but I would rather hear some real world experience. Just dont want to end up with a check engine light or risk damage to the engine.

I know an engineer who worked on the regular Mustangs for Ford, he asked one of the engineers who worked on the Boss intake for me and he said not to spend money on a cai unless you want it for bling. He didn't say it would cause a problem, but he did say that any intake mod that doesn't require a tune will not be noticeable other than making more noise. Companies claim hp increases but if they even do real testing it is usually on a dyno with the hood up and a ton of fans so it doesn't really correlate to real world conditions. YMMV but considering the source I usually trust what he says.

But he also suggested Bama if I was going to get a tune, which you don't seem to like, so you can just disregard it if you want ;D

I can only state since installing my BBK CAI, I've not had any problems with it or hearing any extra noise from inside or outside of the vehicle. This was installed and no tune required.

As for any chance in performance? I've yet to have it tested and don't always believe what is seen or read on the internet (BBK states an increase of 13hp and 10lbs or torque). JMO

Justin

CaliMR said:
I know an engineer who worked on the regular Mustangs for Ford, he asked one of the engineers who worked on the Boss intake for me and he said not to spend money on a cai unless you want it for bling. He didn't say it would cause a problem, but he did say that any intake mod that doesn't require a tune will not be noticeable other than making more noise. Companies claim hp increases but if they even do real testing it is usually on a dyno with the hood up and a ton of fans so it doesn't really correlate to real world conditions. YMMV but considering the source I usually trust what he says.

But he also suggested Bama if I was going to get a tune, which you don't seem to like, so you can just disregard it if you want ;D
Reason I dont recommend bama is:
My brother got his tune from them on his 06. the tune made no difference 1/4 mile or seat of the pants and he has a CAI and full exhaust. he got a new tune from brenspeed night and day difference felt like it gained 50-60 hp over what bama tune gave him.
my friend on his 2012 GT bama tune made no difference. he is going to have it dyno'd with stock intake on then bama tune with C&L CAI. And I have read countless threads of where guys had there car put on the dyno and the graph of the stock no mods made no tune was almost identical to there bama tune and cai. same day same dyno. and bama's response to this.....there is nothing wrong with the tune. but its amazing that later they get a tune else where and the car makes 30 hp more. there are several BBB complaints against them.

I would go with brenspeed I have had there tunes verified on my 06 by other tuners.

Justin

Does anyone have a before and after comparison? like it ran xx.xx in the 1/4 then xx.xx in the 1/4 with that intake or had it on a dyno. No offense but I tend to stray from "a buddy of a buddy of a buddy said xyz"

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel